Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2020, 09:52 PM

1,052 posts, read 453,013 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Very little manufacturing left?

US with less than 5% of the world’s population consumes 35% of global resources and is responsible for nearly 17% of global production.

The US has to import labor and stuff because it does not have the resources to DIY.
Did you miss the part about the US no longer even being able to produce its own medications? N95 masks? Tell me, is there a single battery manufacturer left in the US? Try going into a war when your main enemy (China) makes the medications you're reliant on - can't win.

Doesn't matter how much you produce but WHAT you produce. Making shirts and tattoos won't turn you into a superpower.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2020, 01:09 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,187 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Somebody has to lead America, so who do you support? Or, are you a Brit, so you don't need to support any American for President?

I too have a deep seated mistrust of politicians, but at the end of the day, I must pick the least worst one of them to lead.

Back on topic...New York City...it will come back to some extent, but it has already seen its best days. Like nearly every other Democrat controlled city, it is being destroyed by Dem policies & polititicians. Democrats are like a huge wrecking ball.

Why would anyone vote for Dems to have more power, after what they've done to America's once great cities?
I am a Brit however I have the same level of mistrust of British politicians.

Any leader in a country of numerous devolved powers at state and local level can only do so much, and it's time these Mayors and other officials took their share of the blame rather than trying to blame everything on Washington.

Cities such as LA, were waiting simply for disease to take hold well before the pandemic and the same is true of San Francisco, and these cities are in a state that is so wealthy it's GDP is larger than most countries.

Yet despite this these cities were allowed to develop areas that were akin to something out of the third world.

Equally NYC and Chicago are both wealthy cities, whilst what has allowed to happen in Portland and Seattle by the left is truly disgusting, and the current continued violence is truly moronic.

In terms of NYC, I believe it will bounce back but it will take quite a while.

I don't believe all of this stuff about cities never having it so bad, indeed you just have to look at how cities that were destroyed during WW2 were able to rebuild themselves.

America is better than this and used to lead the way in infrastructure and technology as well as being the mighty workshop of the world.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:23 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,411,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post
The reasons for New York's current demise is basically threefold.

1. The Virus has had an impact on big cities across the world including NYC.

2. At the same time the rioting and lack of response by certain left wing Mayors and other officials has further aggravated the situation.

3. The future is unclear as many feel that certain professions and transactions can now be done without the need of the office or from home.

However whether this leads to the demise of great cities like NYC s debatable, as they are not just financial and economic hubs but are also social and cultural hubs.

As for blaming Trump, some of his responses to the virus were debatable but he wasn't responsible for the virus, and was not responsible for the resulting global economic meltdown. Trump was also not responsible for Antifa and BLM rioting and pathetic behaviour, or the lack of response in places such as Portland, Seattle and Chicago.

I am not a Trump or a Biden supporter, and generally have a deep seated mistrust of politicians however lets have some balance and not just blame Trump for every bad thing that happens.

As long as he continues to credit himself for every good thing that happens that will be the nature of the beast.

Old 08-23-2020, 01:37 AM

33,316 posts, read 12,540,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
Somebody has to lead America, so who do you support? Or, are you a Brit, so you don't need to support any American for President?

I too have a deep seated mistrust of politicians, but at the end of the day, I must pick the least worst one of them to lead.

Back on topic...New York City...it will come back to some extent, but it has already seen its best days. Like nearly every other Democrat controlled city, it is being destroyed by Dem policies & polititicians. Democrats are like a huge wrecking ball.

Why would anyone vote for Dems to have more power, after what they've done to America's once great cities?

You choose to, not you must.

You could choose to vote third party, write someone in, or leave the POTUS slot blank.

A choice should first be moral. If there aren't any morally acceptable candidates listed, then write someone in or leave the POTUS slot blank.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:00 AM
Status: "“If a thing loves, it is infinite.”" (set 4 days ago)

27,187 posts, read 13,477,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
As long as he continues to credit himself for every good thing that happens that will be the nature of the beast.
If you want to solve problems in US cities you need to look at those people running the cities and not just Washington.

LA and San Francisco are extremely wealthy and in California which has a massive GDP, whilst Washington State is also home to all kinds of tech companies as well as being the HQ of Boeing.

Chicago with it's stock exchange, has a status as an important financial centre, whilst NYC is one of the richest cities in the world.

We have all seen how areas of LA have been allowed to become third world ghettos and this is not a recent thing and the same applies to San Francisco and other cities.

My only surprise is that plague and medieval diseases haven't taken hold never mind Covid-19.

Trump has some power but this is balanced by the powers given to States and Cities and without addressing the problems at a local level through the support of Mayors then things are just going to become worse.

It's all very well attacking Trump and claiming it's because he claims credit for every good thing, however some of these city Mayors have acted in a childish and moronic manner in order to try and bring about maximum chaos.

It's little wonder that those who live in these cities are thinking of leaving.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:33 AM
Status: "Moldy Tater Gangrene, even before Moscow Marge." (set 4 days ago)

5,790 posts, read 3,601,582 times
NYC came back from the crime spree of the late 20th Century. It's murder rate, and even shootings, aren't nearly as high now as back them (over 2000 murders per year in the 3 years either side of 1990).

The crime rate in NYC right now is almost trivial in comparison. So NYC will survive this one pretty well, too.

Old 08-23-2020, 02:34 AM

14,778 posts, read 8,115,126 times
New York will be just fine.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:07 AM

35,708 posts, read 21,070,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior7 View Post
No way , too many billionaires in NY to let anything happen to it , I don’t think Trump has too much there didn’t he sell his name to be used on other people’s buildings , maybe Trump towers He owns , but that’s about it .
Not really, the building is shared ownership as they are condos or apt etc owned by others. He and Melania own and the bank own their parts, and he has stake in the name of the building. Trump, in an interview, mention “buying” some of those units in Trump tower. He owns the T Organization and the home office in in the Bld.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:15 AM

4,445 posts, read 1,450,992 times
I've been listening to a long time resident of New York on YouTube, Louis Rossman. He rides his bike around he city and shows all the places boarded up and talks about the stupid prices people want for retail space. And as he goes, he's dodging some serious potholes for roads that definitely need some attention. He says NYC is losing 400 residents a day and you can't reserve a moving van to leave the city without selling a kidney to get it. He says the things the residents valued that would perhaps persuade them to pay the high costs of living there are all gone. There's no reason to stay and keep shelling out for their endless social programs when you can barely make a living as it is.

Old 08-23-2020, 08:21 AM

11,796 posts, read 5,801,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncguy50 View Post
I've been listening to a long time resident of New York on YouTube, Louis Rossman. He rides his bike around he city and shows all the places boarded up and talks about the stupid prices people want for retail space. And as he goes, he's dodging some serious potholes for roads that definitely need some attention. He says NYC is losing 400 residents a day and you can't reserve a moving van to leave the city without selling a kidney to get it. He says the things the residents valued that would perhaps persuade them to pay the high costs of living there are all gone. There's no reason to stay and keep shelling out for their endless social programs when you can barely make a living as it is.
Oh - but as another poster told me - it's just a video - the left don't hold stock in those as proof. I follow a lot of NY City vloggers - they are all reporting the same thing you are and they are far from conservative but are genuinely concerned about their future in NYC.

As I said previously - go to the NYC and Long Island forums here - they are all saying the same thing so I think I'll so I think I'll take the word of many actually residents vs 1 who doesn't even go on the NYC forums as they'd be eaten alive with their "it's going to be OK" gibberish.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies