Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2020, 03:44 PM

4,661 posts, read 1,953,608 times

Advertisements

i remember a friend who used to work for them as a fill in. he was offered many times a full time position which he continually turned down. I thought he was crazy but at the time the post office had limits on overtime for their regular workers but for fill ins like him there was no limit. And he would routinely work 60/70 hr weeks gaining all that overtime. It seemed like a really stupid way to run a company. They didn't care about the money just staying within their very restrictive rule set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2020, 03:48 PM

6,957 posts, read 8,493,779 times
Perhaps one of the clerks or carriers will "Go Postal" on the PMG and someone more competent can be brought in to replace him.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:34 PM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Crow View Post
Most of the increase in overtime came during the Trump administration.

Overtime should be authorized or reported and immediately checked with proper procedures.

Cases of gross fraud should be prosecuted as major felonies.

The average mail handler reportedly does about 4-6 hours of overtime per week.
You Church of Political Party folks just can't stop trying to politicize decades long trends in USPS operations

Old 08-28-2020, 04:37 PM

7,520 posts, read 2,810,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Honestly, out of all the problems the US has, waste at the post office is pretty low on the list. We can't even do things as simple as keep our citizens healthy without them going bankrupt.
Where does it say that is the business/purpose of the government?

Old 08-28-2020, 04:55 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
USPS ordinarily as about 6 employees at our local post office. Rural Alaska does a ton of business via USPS because UPS and FedEx don't deliver here and because we have so many things shipped in that aren't available locally (like, there's nowhere within over one hundred of miles from my house where you can buy underwear, true story). Over the last couple years, three of the workers retired or were otherwise taken out of service (medical, etc.) and the USPS didn't hire new people to fill their spots. Lately, with people doing even more shopping by mail due to Covid, the post office is busier than ever while running with half the staff. I hear this has been happening in other rural post offices as well. So if our the three remaining workers are taking overtime, it's not a "racket" - they're doing the work of multiple employees.

If people are now having to sort mail by hand due to sorting machines being decommissioned, wouldn't that mean even more manhours as well?

Anyway, I know our local experience isn't necessarily universal, but given this experience, I'm very skeptical about the spin.

Many parts of rural and remote America depend heavily on the USPS. Private enterprise will not step up and fill these gaps if USPS is hindered, as it's not profitable enough to open branches here. Mail is a public service like roads, IMO.

Old 08-28-2020, 04:58 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,864,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by remco67 View Post
i remember a friend who used to work for them as a fill in. he was offered many times a full time position which he continually turned down. I thought he was crazy but at the time the post office had limits on overtime for their regular workers but for fill ins like him there was no limit. And he would routinely work 60/70 hr weeks gaining all that overtime. It seemed like a really stupid way to run a company. They didn't care about the money just staying within their very restrictive rule set.
It was probably much less expensive in the long run for them to pay his overtime than to be on the hook for a full-timer's benefits and retirement plan.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:02 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,659,254 times
Trump trying to slow the mail in ballots for the election...

There used to be 4 drive up mail boxes at my local post office...now there are only 2 of them...wonder why that happened? LOL

Old 08-28-2020, 05:03 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Not surprised.

Obviously there is abuse/lack of oversight at the USPS.

The volume of mail has dropped by 30% in the last decade; yet the total payroll cost has doubled.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:04 PM
fnh

2,888 posts, read 3,913,832 times
If you are upset about the overtime racket, then you must really fume at police departments.

Also the USPS is a service established by the US Constitution which at least has some revenues. The military has never, ever delivered revenues, much less a profit. Those welfare-loving, taxpayer teat-suckling a-holes.

Old 08-28-2020, 05:05 PM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Audit exposes Postal Service’s overtime racket as Democrats seek bailout

The U.S. Postal Service has racked up billions of dollars in excessive overtime from its workers over the last several years, even as its employee numbers have gone up and its mail delivery has declined, according to a new audit likely to raise questions about congressional Democrats’ demands for a bailout.

The situation exists in part because postal employees are allowed to determine their own overtime hours without needing prior management approval, and management does not always keep accurate payroll records, the audit report concluded.

“A mail handler in the Northeast Area earned $141,153 in total overtime pay by working 3,329 regular overtime hours, which resulted in $205,018 in total pay” the report noted. “This was equivalent to more than three times the amount of this employee’s base salary.

You know – I remember seeing USPS trucks driving around on Sundays from time to time, and I would scratch my head about it. Now, I know.

Yes – they need to fix this.
Dude!! You referenced your own blog as a source!?! I'm not usually two exclamation point poster but for this I will make an exception!! Where are your sources for this? You just decide to go off on a rant about the Post Office? Oh what's DRob barely tolerating today? hmmmm Harvey Weinstein being thrown under the bus by the evil Dems and Oh, yeah...the mailman!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies