Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2020, 06:46 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,634 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by neko_mimi View Post
Any private business ran like the USPS would have gone out of business a long time ago. Why do tax dollars continue to fund this failed, money sink hole?
No private business would have to operate under a rule to prefund its pensions for 75 years.

Not only have they funded , it’s been overfunded and the govt spent the money.

The USPS Is a damn good deal, where else can you mail a letter for less than a dollar across country.
For those of you clamoring for privatization I hope you are ready for costs to go up to some outrageous amount.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2020, 06:57 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
per my other post - it's efficiency.

What Dems are trying to claim is they took ALL the mailboxes away from large areas. If your drive-up boxes (blue boxes) only collect a small fraction every day, then they don't need 4. You're aware their procedure is to audit boxes and locations for usage, right?

They're kind of like telephone booths. 20 years ago, there was a phone booth on every corner. How many do you see today? 20 years ago, there might have 50 blue boxes within a square mile. Now, there might only be 20 (as an example).

We've got a blue box near my office which is in a suburban office park. Whenever I have something I need mailed and I've missed our in-office pickup, I walk 200 yards to the box between 3 and 4 pm (4 pm stated pickup). When I drop it in, I can usually hear it hitting the metal bottom.

25 years ago those blue boxes were likely collected at least twice a day. First in the early afternoon and then after 4 or 5 PM, but still in time to make the last dispatch truck. If the collection didn't make it back either a supervisor bullied into not claiming overtime for his work ran it to the next step or a craft employee on overtime of penalty overtime made that run.

As fewer and fewer letters were being mailed first the closing early evening collections were dropped, along with the router assignment with its benefits earning carrier and the boxes posted pick up time changed to around noon. Then boxes started to be removed. The bank of four boxes in an industrial area became one box and boxes spread around residential neighborhoods were removed. Because there is no stated time on mail the carrier picks up on his rounds from delivery points there was no must get that mail to the plant pressure. Although in most districts that supervisor and or carrier still made a late trip to the plant with mail collected from sources other than blue boxes. With carriers spending ever increasing hours on the street past 9 PM in many places even with the late run to the plant that letters still would be delayed as they were unable to get to the airport for those flights out.

Suddenly what has been going on for decades became a political issue

Old 08-29-2020, 07:34 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post

25 years ago those blue boxes were likely collected at least twice a day. First in the early afternoon and then after 4 or 5 PM, but still in time to make the last dispatch truck. If the collection didn't make it back either a supervisor bullied into not claiming overtime for his work ran it to the next step or a craft employee on overtime of penalty overtime made that run.

As fewer and fewer letters were being mailed first the closing early evening collections were dropped, along with the router assignment with its benefits earning carrier and the boxes posted pick up time changed to around noon. Then boxes started to be removed. The bank of four boxes in an industrial area became one box and boxes spread around residential neighborhoods were removed. Because there is no stated time on mail the carrier picks up on his rounds from delivery points there was no must get that mail to the plant pressure. Although in most districts that supervisor and or carrier still made a late trip to the plant with mail collected from sources other than blue boxes. With carriers spending ever increasing hours on the street past 9 PM in many places even with the late run to the plant that letters still would be delayed as they were unable to get to the airport for those flights out.

Suddenly what has been going on for decades became a political issue
thank you! For those unaware, Taiko is a USPS employee and can provide great insight into how things work.

I do indeed remember not that long ago it seemed a lot of blue boxes had morning and late afternoon pickup times; now they seem typically once daily.

I find it distressing that the expectation a truck will leave on time in order to get the mail out, on time, and avoid paying overtime is somehow controversial. The idea of holding trucks, just so "all" the mail that is "late" (being delivered to center or processed) but "supposed to be delivered today" by some unusual feeling ... when you know that means the 90% get their delivery later IF that day to benefit the 10% "late" is crazy.

Old 08-29-2020, 07:54 AM

15,862 posts, read 6,328,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
Whoever it was wasn't WORKING all of those hours, even though they were paid for.
So I decided to source your gossip DRob.

Here is the report review:

https://www.uspsoig.gov/blog/overtime-overload

Here is the audit:

https://www.uspsoig.gov/sites/defaul...R-19-005_0.pdf

Nowhere does that say the guy didn't work those hours. The review actually states that employment declined not increased as you stated.

"Unauthorized Overtime" is a code designation and not evidence of misconduct. One of the remedies was making sure the codes were entered effectively. There was a suggestion made about updating some F1 scheduler plan. Nowhere does it say, or even suggest, that the employees were in on some racket. It gave reasons for going over plan OT and possible remedies.

What happened Drob? Did you see the mailman sitting somewhere for 30 minutes eating a sandwich and are now convinced of a conspiracy?

Old 08-29-2020, 08:04 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,019,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
No private business would have to operate under a rule to prefund its pensions for 75 years.

Not only have they funded , it’s been overfunded and the govt spent the money.

The USPS Is a damn good deal, where else can you mail a letter for less than a dollar across country.
For those of you clamoring for privatization I hope you are ready for costs to go up to some outrageous amount.
Or large areas of the country will simply no longer receive mail services. Those arguing for the end of USPS are just dumb.

Old 08-29-2020, 08:09 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
https://justthenews.com/accountabili...s-seek-bailout
The annual bill for overtime charged by postal employees grew 35% from $3.7 billion in 2014 to $5 billion last year.

This administration has allowed this to balloon terribly.

And y'all want us to vote them in again?

Old 08-29-2020, 08:17 AM

45,676 posts, read 24,018,755 times
It is clear this new guy running is incompetent. That kind of gross oversight with overtime and still lacking in needed resources to handle the much needed extra demands that will be placed with more absentee ballots (mail in).

Old 08-29-2020, 08:27 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Ballots will not make a blip in operations. Political advertising which is hand prepared at the carrier level however will.The holdup is a service optimized for carrying letters and bulk advertising tasked to handle an ever increasing parcel load.

Old 08-29-2020, 09:33 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,650,430 times
It's on the honor system I get that because many organizations feel it's best to 'empower' their emloyees with decision making power that normally would've been managements. Usually that means they want to thin out management. Now matter how it's decided there should be a system in place to keep the numbers in check and it's not just about the denial or limiting overtime it's also an efficiency issue.

Old 08-29-2020, 10:12 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,219,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
https://justthenews.com/accountabili...s-seek-bailout
The annual bill for overtime charged by postal employees grew 35% from $3.7 billion in 2014 to $5 billion last year.

This administration has allowed this to balloon terribly.

And y'all want us to vote them in again?
well first, it's odd that folks have questioned DRob for posting what appears to be an exact copy of what you linked. Whose author, John Solomon, is well-known and generally-accepted as professional.

That said, I am sometimes mystified by your behavior. Just when you present as liberal but reasonable, you just make **** up and are conflating THIS PMG with activity from 2014-2019 ... when he wasn't PMG. He's been PMG now for about 90 days.

The article itself doesn't distinguish between Obama years (2014-2017 FY) and Trump years (2018-2019) activity. You either overlook or don't understand that USPS is not "government-run" (and thus "Trump's fault!"), rather there is a bipartisan Board of Governors who make decisions. This BOG is nominated by the POTUS and confirmed. As is the PMG. Look at who was on the BOG and when it turned over.

The PMG that DeJoy replaced was appointed by Obama for a 5 year term in 2015 to expire in 2020.

And to say a guy who was a CPA and spent 35 years in shipping logistics is unqualified?

I really don't believe you're stupid, so I can only assume it's intentional ignorance or willfully misleading people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies