Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 01:53 PM

1,434 posts, read 667,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
If that is the way you see it, then you clearly do not understand what PC is.

`
Ha. No. It couldnt be misconstued as manners but good try.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 02:39 PM

5,955 posts, read 2,880,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil75230 View Post
Actually, Political Correctness is just old fashioned good manners and respect (or at least lack of bad manners and disrespect) expanded to historic out-groups. It means taking the wishes of the marginalized into account before making a decision about how to behave and how to run things.

To the historically privileged, even fairness and decency feels like oppression.
Ok lying to your face, by sugar coating the lie.

Old 09-05-2020, 04:22 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,300,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
The other way of looking at political correctness:
It is when someone knows something is wrong, but is
too cowardly to say so, so they claim the truth is "insensitive.
"

Which is basically the underpinning of the thread title.
And unless you can get those "someones" to admit to that it is merely an opinion as to their sincerity.

Old 09-05-2020, 05:37 PM

16,603 posts, read 8,615,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manigault View Post
Political correctness could properly be described as "manners".
As I said earlier to a different poster
(For a different reason), you clearly have no clue what Political Correctness is then.

A well bred American person, whether it be northern/southern and/or western, understands what manners and civility are.
PC is an insidious cancer upon our American culture, that has a unique position of needing to be eradicated/eviscerated from our society!

Just like any malignancy, it must be destroyed ASAP, before it metastasizes, and destroys our life, from within!

`

Old 09-06-2020, 11:14 AM

8,425 posts, read 12,187,726 times
[quote=Vector1;59091965]As I said earlier to a different poster
(For a different reason), you clearly have no clue what Political Correctness is then.

A well bred American person, whether it be northern/southern and/or western, understands what manners and civility are./QUOTE]

Basic respect means referring to a person in the name or the way they prefer. Conservatives call it political correctness that they can't call them 'Orientals" anymore or tell Polish jokes.

Old 09-06-2020, 11:20 AM

34,232 posts, read 18,584,601 times
Quote:
Political correctness could properly be described as "manners".
No its actually the opposite. It is arbitrary Leftist indoctrination and censorship of anything only THEY don't like nor approve. It is Fascism embodied.

Manners would be allowing opposing thought, speech and symbols even if you don't like them. That's kind and fair. Not the censorship and retribution you want. Again Fascist.

Old 09-06-2020, 12:11 PM

24,500 posts, read 17,239,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
Exactly correct, but some people just can't see it.

The left supposedly want to "COEXIST" and even have a bumper sticker and tee shirts they proudly were to let everyone know.
In reality try engaging them with a moderate or dare I suggest conservative view, and you can see how quickly they become intolerant.

The irony is they have a Muslim symbol in the mix, and yet do not realize that Islam is very intolerant to many of the things your typical liberal believes in. Yet they seem to support Arabs over Jews for some reason, and demonize white Christians.

`

Great Points.

I have seen those bumper stickers and they certainly are a nice sentiment that we should all work towards as an end goal but those that are posting it are doing so to virtue signal as in look at me I'm so woke and PC... etc etc..

In reality there are places still in this world where women are being stoned to death, gay people are butchered, holy and devout people murder each other for their religious beliefs and people are being bought sold and held as slaves. Of course the Left is telling us how deplorable America is and how it is all Trumps fault.

If these tolerate (actually intolerant) people really wanted to make a difference they would stop complaining about the perceived issues we face here in the states and instead travel abroad to help people that are really suffering but of course that can be very dangerous to be PC in a country that doesn't allow it.

Old 09-06-2020, 01:12 PM

8,918 posts, read 4,655,253 times
Quote:
Basic respect means referring to a person in the name or the way they prefer.
Basic honesty means, when someone tells me that they are a flying fairy giraffe, and that they are going to go for a flight off the bluff near my home, I would tell them that they are suffering from a mental illness and try to get them some help to face the reality that they cannot fly. Political Correctness says that I must agree with them, and tell them to have a nice flight. Maybe even drive them over to the bluff so they can jump. And then pretend that I don't know why they spattered themselves on the ground below. (I am not kidding about this.)

Basic honesty tells me that when someone is unable to do a job, I tell them, and send them out to find a job they can do, or help them find such a job. Political correctness tells me that I have to hire someone else to do part of the job, so that they can feel good about themselves and take full credit.

I could probably go on, but honesty says I should tell people who don't understand all of this, that they are mentally deficient, and that they should seek help from someone who won't tell them that "I'm OK, you're OK." Political correctness says I should simply agree to disagree, and that facts don't really matter. (Sometimes PC tells me that I shouldn't point out that the PC crowd has no facts, or any basic honesty.)

Old 09-06-2020, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Great Points.

I have seen those bumper stickers and they certainly are a nice sentiment that we should all work towards as an end goal but those that are posting it are doing so to virtue signal as in look at me I'm so woke and PC... etc etc..

In reality there are places still in this world where women are being stoned to death, gay people are butchered, holy and devout people murder each other for their religious beliefs and people are being bought sold and held as slaves. Of course the Left is telling us how deplorable America is and how it is all Trumps fault.

If these tolerate (actually intolerant) people really wanted to make a difference they would stop complaining about the perceived issues we face here in the states and instead travel abroad to help people that are really suffering but of course that can be very dangerous to be PC in a country that doesn't allow it.
Whenever I see someone with such a sticker or tee shirt, I try to engage them in a conversation, even if only for a few minutes.
The last time it was a real estate agent showing a relative of mine a property they wanted me to assess for them.
She was young, and I guess too young to realize showing up in a tee shirt and jeans does not exude professionalism, but what did we know.
We were the potential customers, but what difference does that make!
Rant Off

Anyway I asked her why she thought the Jews and the Palestinians were having trouble "COEXISTing".
Her answer was as predictable as what anyone reading this is thinking, as to her answer.

"It was the Jews fault for taking their land and building settlements".

While I didn't challenge her view, I asked her how they should resolve it. Again, the typical one-sided answer, that Jerusalem needed to be split, and Palestinians had the right to return to their homeland in Israel.
I must say I was pleasantly surprised that she had some actual knowledge on the subject, all be it based on leftist brainwashing.
Anyway, when I pointed out how if the Jews allowed all the Arabs to go back to Israel, and they were allowed to vote, it would mean the end of the Jewish state and the destruction of Israel.
She confirmed that would happen in her mind, and that would solve the problem.

Thus a classic example of how people can COEXIST, so long as you go with the leftist agenda, to eventually achieve their goals.
Push back against it, and you are a _____ist, _____phobe, etc., and must be silenced.

`

Old 09-06-2020, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
Basic honesty means, when someone tells me that they are a flying fairy giraffe, and that they are going to go for a flight off the bluff near my home, I would tell them that they are suffering from a mental illness and try to get them some help to face the reality that they cannot fly. Political Correctness says that I must agree with them, and tell them to have a nice flight. Maybe even drive them over to the bluff so they can jump. And then pretend that I don't know why they spattered themselves on the ground below. (I am not kidding about this.)

Basic honesty tells me that when someone is unable to do a job, I tell them, and send them out to find a job they can do, or help them find such a job. Political correctness tells me that I have to hire someone else to do part of the job, so that they can feel good about themselves and take full credit.

I could probably go on, but honesty says I should tell people who don't understand all of this, that they are mentally deficient, and that they should seek help from someone who won't tell them that "I'm OK, you're OK." Political correctness says I should simply agree to disagree, and that facts don't really matter. (Sometimes PC tells me that I shouldn't point out that the PC crowd has no facts, or any basic honesty.)
Well there is likely no better example of what you describe than when I biological man decides to identity as a woman.
Talk about flying fairy giraffes.
We must immediately refer to him as "her", call him Lisa (though his legal name might still be John), allow him to wear dresses and high heals to work, etc., etc., etc.

Even if he legally changes his name to Lisa, I guess I can CHOOSE to call him Lisa, but I should not be legally mandated to.
Either way, I should never be required by the PC police to use female pronouns or accept his mental illness as a means to deny scientific reality.

Yet PC indoctrination tells us that is exactly what is expected of us, otherwise we are "haters", that must be ruined in any and every way possible.

`
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies