Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-12-2020, 04:21 PM

4,344 posts, read 2,232,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Neither is being a respectable human being
Oh, snap!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2020, 04:24 PM

4,023 posts, read 1,442,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBAfan View Post
To me it's hilarious how mad some people get at players for kneeling during the anthem.

Standing is not an obligation.
Neither is watching people hating on the country during an entertainment event

Old 09-12-2020, 04:25 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakeJones View Post
Neither is being a respectable human being
Like trump?

Old 09-12-2020, 04:30 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
At least the Dolphins are taking the right path on this woke, empty virtue signalling nonsense:

https://www.outkick.com/dolphins-wil...nthem-protest/
Yeah coming from a Fox News ANALyst, I'll pass.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:22 PM

271 posts, read 294,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
I've been channel flipping for college games today as well.

Was beginning to think that college football was doing ok by not going full on woke, but I hit the exact same spot you did in the ND vs Duke game.

I bailed out. Go woke, go nope.
I'm a liberal and I'm tired of the wokeness. Yes, racial injustice is a real problem in America and police reform is needed. However, shoving wokeness down people's throats will not help matters.

Note to my fellow liberals out there: America is not Twitter. Being obnoxiously woke will only alienate moderate White voters and will drive them into the Trump camp come election time. All the empty gestures in the world will not save one Black life. If you make the election a referendum on race, rather than coronavirus or the economy or saving democracy, Trump will win.

Old 09-12-2020, 05:36 PM

380 posts, read 125,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
That "you know" That is the key. You do not know everyone. It also depends on the exact topic we are talking about.

Well, it's a good barometer of the general population.

I know you're trying to downplay it, but lots of people are dropping sports viewing from their lives. And they're not coming back.

Last edited by devdaen; 09-12-2020 at 05:53 PM..

Old 09-12-2020, 05:38 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Soon we'll all be watching bowling...lol.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:01 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdaen View Post
Well, it's a good barometer of the general population.

I know you're trying to downplay it, but lots of people are dropping sports viewing from their lives. And they're not coming back.
Well if your a barometer for most of the sports fans, I would then have to say it is pretty ironic that those who watch sports have a total different view then those who are talented enough to play sports.
So I will take it as; if the fans were athletes and part of the "melting pot" that sports is composed of, they would see things differently.

Old 09-12-2020, 06:08 PM

380 posts, read 125,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzy jeff View Post
Well if your a barometer for most of the sports fans, I would then have to say it is pretty ironic that those who watch sports have a total different view then those who are talented enough to play sports.
So I will take it as; if the fans were athletes and part of the "melting pot" that sports is composed of, they would see things differently.
I work in a 'melting pot' and race is never an issue. Most of my minority coworkers are good family people, some are friends, but I'm not going to bow down to a false narrative for them.

Apparently, there are a lot of cowards in professional sports because there's no way they're so uneducated that they don't know what blm is really about. I believe most of the white players are submitting out of fear. Hell ... there's probably a lot of black players who secretly know the narrative is bs.

BTW, they may be talented, but that doesn't make them intellectually superior.

Last edited by devdaen; 09-12-2020 at 06:22 PM..

Old 09-12-2020, 06:34 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by devdaen View Post
I work in a 'melting pot' and race is never an issue. Most of my minority coworkers are good family people, some are friends, but I'm not going to bow down to a false narrative for them.

Apparently, there are a lot of cowards in professional sports because there's no way they're so uneducated that they don't know what blm is really about.

BTW, they may be talented, but that doesn't make them intellectually superior.
Have you ever asked any of those minority co-workers about being racially profiled? I myself never really thought about it a lot until a few months ago. Now I ask and I listen.

Just today I was talking to a black man who lives in the neighborhood I just moved too. He is a Vietnam Vet, retired Chemist that likes to drive high-end cars. He owns 2 of them. Tells me he is often pulled over by suburban police officers. They are cordial to him, usually make up some BS story for pulling him over, then let him go. The point of the story, if it was myself, a clean cut white guy I would not be getting stopped. He laughs it off, but could tell it bothers him.

I hear the stories of the blacks that play in the NHL. Growing up they were often harassed by fans. Banana peels thrown onto the ice, chants of "stick to basketball". Racism is still very alive.
The BLM slogan may of been a mistake to be brought into sports, but it's the general racism that fuels the problem, and the recent headlines just ignites the fire even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies