Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2020, 07:30 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by moneill View Post
Hate campaign signs.

Only one in our neighborhood -- tacky ---- oh it's for Trump.

And yeh -- kind of bull @#$% on people being afraid to answer some survey saying they will vote for Trump given all the flags/stickers/MAGA hats. But somehow that pretend story seems to give conservatives the thrills.
t
The other thing this made me think of is I have to wonder how effective they even are? I mean, is someone who is a big Trump or Biden supporter going to see a sign for the other candidate and think "That's it! I'm changing my Presidential vote because I saw the 5th sign of the day in front of the house of that guy who walks his Saint Bernard up my street!"

I can perhaps see more value in the signs for less partisan and down ballot local elections (i.e. Mary Smith for Soil and Water Conservation Supervisor; Joe Johnson for Auditor, Nancy Parks for Register of Deeds, etc.) because it may make a curious, politically involved person want to know "who is this person that my neighbor thinks so much of they're putting a sign out for"? And then they look them up and see the person's platform and what they hope to accomplish.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2020, 07:31 PM

2,125 posts, read 1,397,493 times
No Trump signs yet in my area. A few Biden signs. I live in a very wealthy area. Very educated. There are generally fewer National signs and more local election signs.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:33 PM

826 posts, read 244,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
The other thing this made me think of is I have to wonder how effective they even are? I mean, is someone who is a big Trump or Biden supporter going to see a sign for the other candidate and think "That's it! I'm changing my vote because I saw the 5th sign of the day!"

I do possibly see some value in the signs for less partisan down ballot elections (i.e. Mary Smith for Soil and Water Conservation Supervisor; Joe Johnson for Auditor, Nancy Parks for Register of Deeds, etc.) because it may make a curious, civically involved person want to know "who is this person that my neighbor thinks so much of they're putting a sign out for"? And then they look them up and see the person's platform and what they hope to accomplish.
I agree on this for the most part. I'm not really sure what signs actually do, other than fill up a landfill. I wonder if there is a study showing results on sign influence.

I'm more interested in seeing people actually be politely vocal like these wonderful folks. It takes bravery and conviction. Bravo for them.

Speaking their mind

Old 09-08-2020, 07:35 PM

3,320 posts, read 5,570,918 times
Quote:
The other thing this made me think of is I have to wonder how effective they even are? I mean, is someone who is a big Trump or Biden supporter going to see a sign for the other candidate and think "That's it! I'm changing my Presidential vote because I saw the 5th sign of the day in front of the house of that guy who walks his Saint Bernard up my street!"
So true. A sign is not going to change someones vote.

I hate seeing all the signs - it makes the neighborhood look trashy IMO.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:40 PM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnkfl4CountryLife View Post
I have no issue with center left liberals. I have many liberal views myself. I am a reformed Democrat. I can't stand the extremes on either side, but the Democrats have been asleep at the wheel and have let some very wonky people take over the party. I had to leave. I couldn't take it anymore. I did vote for Obama in 2008, did not vote for him in 2012 and did not vote for Trump in 2016. I WILL be voting for Trump this time with both hands and both feet. Not so much because I think he is as great as he thinks he is, but because I realize he has done some very good things and the other side is now certifiably bat**** crazy. It's a very easy choice.
It's funny because I could make the same statement, only reversed. Couple of things. Any party that gives credence to people like Louie Gomert, Michelle Bachmann, and Steve King I can never support. Republicans rarely want to look or admit that their party has crazies in it. The republicans have been co opted by freedom Caucasus, taxpayers league, and various evangelicals.

The left has crazies in it, but they are not praised and pumped up. Nancy Pelosi has publicly admonished AOC and other squad members. BLM and antifa have no official voice in the party, despite right wing media saying that not only do they have voice, but that they drive the party. If that's the case why didn't the party nominate Bernie?

Old 09-08-2020, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
It's funny because I could make the same statement, only reversed. Couple of things. Any party that gives credence to people like Louie Gomert, Michelle Bachmann, and Steve King I can never support. Republicans rarely want to look or admit that their party has crazies in it. The republicans have been co opted by freedom Caucasus, taxpayers league, and various evangelicals.

The left has crazies in it, but they are not praised and pumped up. Nancy Pelosi has publicly admonished AOC and other squad members. BLM and antifa have no official voice in the party, despite right wing media saying that not only do they have voice, but that they drive the party. If that's the case why didn't the party nominate Bernie?
BLM and Antifa ARE the Democrat party of today. I agree the Republican party has some whack jobs too, but I left the Democrat party because they have become the champion of silencing voices they don't agree with and the champion of using violence & intimidation to get people to do what they want. Those are two immediate no no's for me and I was out. The only reason Bernie was not nominated or some of the others, is that individual people still get to vote, but BLM anarchists are taking over positions of power and influence in the Democrat party. Sad that you can't see it, but I didn't see it at first either. We all wake up at different times.

5,278 posts, read 6,213,202 times
I see more Trump apparel- shirts, hats, and ironically masks. Usually if I see one Trump sign I see 6 in the same yard. Biden's edge is in the bumper sticker arena.

The political signs are at a minimum in my neighborhood- the funniest was a couple who put up a sign for an R House candidate and immediately pulled it down after the primary. She won the primary so I could not figure out why they did that.

I am in a blueish area of a (recently) purple district in a red state. I can drive 10 minutes in any direction and see a difference in political preference.

936 posts, read 823,826 times
In my neighborhood there are two houses across the street from each other that are at war. The guy on the south side has his yard full of Trump signs. The guy on the north side has a yard full of Biden signs. So far it's been peaceful and they've reach some sort of detente without killing each other.

I noticed that this year Trump seems to getting less love than he did in 2016 in my area. I live in Missouri--hardly some bastion of liberalism. In fact, some people predicting the election say the Missouri is the reddest of the Red States in 2020. We're the only state that is 100% in the Trump column. Trump will win Mighty MO.

But I've noticed fewer yard signs and bumperstickers this year. Another neighbor up the street had a large Trump flag that he flew for a few weeks along with his American flag and Navy flag. (He's retired Navy.) After Trump teargassed the protesters and held up the upside down Bible, this neighbor took down his Trump flag. I guess he's now voting Biden.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:46 PM

6,116 posts, read 4,608,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thnkfl4CountryLife View Post
I agree on this for the most part. I'm not really sure what signs actually do, other than fill up a landfill. I wonder if there is a study showing results on sign influence.

I'm more interested in seeing people actually be politely vocal like these wonderful folks. It takes bravery and conviction. Bravo for them.

Speaking their mind
There are probably other studies (maybe with conflicting conclusions), but I found this right offhand:

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/...-effect-217166

And those guys have as much of a right to lawfully vote for whoever they think is the right person just like anyone else.

Old 09-08-2020, 07:51 PM

Quote:
There are probably other studies (maybe with conflicting conclusions), but I found this right offhand:

https://www.politico.com/story/2015/...-effect-217166

And those guys have as much of a right to lawfully vote for whoever they think is the right person just like anyone else.
Interesting. Thank you. So signs don't do a lot, but can do just enough to sway a close election.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies