Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2020, 09:47 AM

7,975 posts, read 7,351,944 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Just so I understand, according to the new rules, a film cannot be nominated for "best picture" unless a lead actor is from an under-represented group or the producers or executives are from an under-represented group.

Wow.

Ridiculous.

A film is either good or not good. It has nothing to do with the color of skin of the people who made it.
I went to see "The Help", and "The Green Book", and enjoyed both of them. But they were well made pictures, with good actors and plots. Other than Sissy Spacek ("The Help"), I couldn't tell you one of the names of anyone who was in them, Oscar nominated or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2020, 09:51 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,610,392 times
Some of you don't quite understand that certain stories may not be told now.

And we've all seen how well things work when employers have quotas they have to fill.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:53 AM

37,972 posts, read 22,151,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
https://www.theguardian.com/film/202...ty-race-gender

Everyone gets a ribbon. It's no longer about the best it's about "inclusion".

Each standard has detailed subcategories as well. To meet the onscreen representation standard, a film must either have at least one lead character or a significant supporting character be from an underrepresented racial or ethnic group; at least 30% of secondary roles must be from two underrepresented groups; or the main storyline, theme or narrative must be focused on an underrepresented group. According to the academy, underrepresented groups include women, people of color, LGBTQ+ people or people with disabilities.

More reason to turn off the tube.
I know, it's getting to be obvious. I started watching a new series, and in the first episode they already have a gay, drug addicted man, and a black transgendered man. Later episodes have a who's who of the stereotypes and victim groups.

Seems like the fascistic woke have made it impossible to make a movie or TV show unless you insert a sufficient number of the "underrepresented groups."

It's the same woke fascists who criticize foreign entertainment media, if they dare put out a product featuring an all white cast, even when it's depicting 14th century Germany. Or called racist for having too many black zombies when the entire production is set in Africa. Europeans are getting fed up with American woke fascists, trying to impose their Twitter tantrum wokeness on the entire world.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:54 AM

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Some of you don't quite understand that certain stories may not be told now.

And we've all seen how well things work when employers have quotas they have to fill.
Like what kind of stories? If a studio thinks a picture will make money, they'll green light it. Period.
Its called show BUSINESS.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:56 AM

301 posts, read 183,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
I know, it's getting to be obvious. I started watching a new series, and in the first episode they already have a gay, drug addicted man, and a black transgendered man. Later episodes have a who's who of the stereotypes and victim groups.

Seems like the fascistic woke have made it impossible to make a movie or TV show unless you insert a sufficient number of the "underrepresented groups."

It's the same woke fascists who criticize foreign entertainment media, if they dare put out a product featuring an all white cast, even when it's depicting 14th century Germany. Or called racist for having too many black zombies when the entire production is set in Africa. Europeans are getting fed up with American woke fascists, trying to impose their Twitter tantrum wokeness on the entire world.
Yep. Best to just turn it all off.

17,005 posts, read 12,595,161 times
Another award changed so it means nothing.

Maybe they should just make best picture to whatever film checks the most boxes. Having your lead as a black midget trans woman in a wheel chair would be a sure win.

5,752 posts, read 2,781,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. Skeffington View Post
I went to see "The Help", and "The Green Book", and enjoyed both of them. But they were well made pictures, with good actors and plots. Other than Sissy Spacek ("The Help"), I couldn't tell you one of the names of anyone who was in them, Oscar nominated or not.
Then you dont go to many movies, both those pictures had plenty of well known performers in them.

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
https://www.forbes.com/sites/oluwata.../#6437f3cd30f3

This rules out a lot of great movies that would never be eligible for best picture because they cannot possibly meet the criteria.
They could easily meet the 3rd criteria.

Old 09-09-2020, 09:59 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,089,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CCbaxter View Post
Should be fine, all you barking righties stopped watching years ago.
Silly cancel culture righties.

I know it's hard for the Left to grasp, since identity politics is pretty much the only reason y'all get out of bed these days other than to cry about Orange Satan and burning and looting things that other people worked for ......

But not everyone wants politics shoved down their throats 24/7.

Some people just want to watch sports or a movie without being preached at.

Is that really too much to ask?

Old 09-09-2020, 09:59 AM

2,313 posts, read 2,506,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post

That's not true. Studios could easily meet the 3rd criteria. Just by hiring some diverse PA's (Production Assistants) or other members of the crew.

The third criteria is related to the creation of "industry access and opportunities" for under-represented individuals. Both of these must be met:
A number of ongoing paid apprenticeships for under-represented people
Training opportunities for skills development in the crew for under-represented people.

90 % of films probably already meet or exceed this criteria.

Last edited by ma5cmpb; 09-09-2020 at 10:11 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies