Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2020, 09:30 PM

2,112 posts, read 2,596,686 times

Advertisements

Sowell always gives half-truths to make white conservatives look better. He is always reaching for their butter biscuits, and has done so for decades. Let's not act like the loss of manufacturing and plants jobs that left the inner city did not have an affect on black poverty as well, Sowell always looks at ways to blame liberals for everything. In reality both sides have paid a part. As much as folks complain about welfare, for the longest this country did not want blacks to be on equal footing. At the end of the day this country will always have to have an under class!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2020, 09:35 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowering1 View Post
Part of that is human nature, as disingenuous as it is. We use that which will strengthen our argument while dismissing anything that we don't want to have to think about.
Facts!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReineDeCoeur View Post
Marriage and marital traditions are often largely intertwined with religion though. The loss of those have negative impacted the “black culture” here and across the diaspora. Well, imho...
500 billion in tithes by now since 1980. Easily. I can’t account for it. Neither can anyone else.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
You will have to dig up a link to that quote for contextual purposes.
No need. You can find it yourself quite easily.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
Sowell always gives half-truths to make white conservatives look better. He is always reaching for their butter biscuits, and has done so for decades. Let's not act like the loss of manufacturing and plants jobs that left the inner city did not have an affect on black poverty as well, Sowell always looks at ways to blame liberals for everything. In reality both sides have paid a part. As much as folks complain about welfare, for the longest this country did not want blacks to be on equal footing. At the end of the day this country will always have to have an under class!!
He’s a brilliant man, but he IS just a man. Sowell has no better insight into the souls of black folks than you or I do.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:40 PM

45,582 posts, read 27,187,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beliciano View Post
What's the half truth? The single parent rate has stayed the same since the mid-80s. It's the 20 year period from the 60s to the 80s where welfare made things bad.

Poverty wasn't the conclusion... it was suicides, behavioral issues, runaways, and substance abuse of the kids that were prominent. And that was for all races. The point being that having a 60%+ single parent rate is a recipe for a troubled community.

Old 09-10-2020, 09:42 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 7 days ago)

35,630 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My fix?

Get rid of the black church and all religion in general. Go to school, go to college, do a stint in the military, get out, find a career, get married and have a family if you so desire. Save a little money, buy a home, be a good neighbor, and mind your own damn business.

That’s what I did. To the letter. There’s not an ounce of profundity in what I said. I revealed no secrets or anything not already known by a million other people.

So why in the hell would anyone care about my “fix” to any problem?
Do a stint in the military? No. That's a ticket to depression and suicide. Middle class white people are very happy to salute you, praise you, be grateful to you for your service because no, we're not sending our sons and daughters into the military, thank you so very much for serving in their stead and not making us have a draft.

Prior to the Viet Nam war, a stint in the military wasn't so ruinous as it has been after the Viet Nam war and to this day. It still drove young men to suicide and depression, but not at the rate as the Viet Nam war and beyond.

Thank you for your service and glad you survived it with apparent mental health intact. And no, upper middle class white people aren't sending our children into that hell.

So I have to ask you this. During your "stint" in the military, did you see combat?

(Spoken as an Air Force brat, a daughter of a veteran of the Korean and Viet Nam wars. Nope, I don't wish that on any family).

Old 09-10-2020, 09:56 PM

2,400 posts, read 754,961 times
Quote:
My fix?

Get rid of the black church and all religion in general. Go to school, go to college, do a stint in the military, get out, find a career, get married and have a family if you so desire. Save a little money, buy a home, be a good neighbor, and mind your own damn business.

That’s what I did. To the letter. There’s not an ounce of profundity in what I said. I revealed no secrets or anything not already known by a million other people.

So why in the hell would anyone care about my “fix” to any problem?
Well, was your father there for you? I suspect he was. You know, I don’t have to tell you about the damage to a boy who grows up without his father compounded by economic hardships.

To be honest, I think the entire welfare system needs to be scrapped and something completely different put in place. I have no idea what that will look like but it sure as hell won’t be a 17 year old girl having a baby, living in an apartment with barely enough money to scrape by on and no way to get out.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:01 PM

15,063 posts, read 6,175,095 times
Quote:
500 billion in tithes by now since 1980. Easily. I can’t account for it. Neither can anyone else.
Again, those marital traditions have been lost...little to nothing to do with the churches you’re referring to.

I wouldn’t encourage people who are recent to abandon those marital traditions in favor of...nothing...just because they are black in the US. In fact, it would be better more black people adopted the traditional practices that are intertwined with religion. But guess that’s wishful thinking.

Old 09-10-2020, 10:54 PM

13,240 posts, read 4,925,181 times
Quote:
Thomas Sowell also said that black culture (and he means the bad aspects, in case you were wondering) comes directly from white folks’ culture.

Was he right about that too?
Straight from the 'horse's mouth' so to speak in the context of this thread:

Thomas Sowell: Redneck culture to blame for lack of intellectual development

Quote:
In reality, antebellum Southern whites likewise lagged behind Northern whites in intellectual or educational achievement, though this could not be explained by race or racism or other factors used to explain similarly lagging intellectual and educational performances among blacks today.

As late as World War I, whites from a number of Southern states scored lower on mental tests than blacks from some Northern states. During the antebellum era, before there were mental tests, there were other clear indications that the redneck culture did not promote intellectual development. Southern whites did not go to school, buy books, read newspapers, patent inventions, much less supply their share of leading intellectual figures, to anywhere near the extent that their white contemporaries in the North did. Nor was this due simply to poverty. Books were not common even in the homes of many white Southerners who could have afforded books. That was just not part of the redneck culture.
https://www.deseret.com/2005/7/5/199...al-development

Old 09-10-2020, 11:11 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
Do a stint in the military? No. That's a ticket to depression and suicide. Middle class white people are very happy to salute you, praise you, be grateful to you for your service because no, we're not sending our sons and daughters into the military, thank you so very much for serving in their stead and not making us have a draft.

Prior to the Viet Nam war, a stint in the military wasn't so ruinous as it has been after the Viet Nam war and to this day. It still drove young men to suicide and depression, but not at the rate as the Viet Nam war and beyond.

Thank you for your service and glad you survived it with apparent mental health intact. And no, upper middle class white people aren't sending our children into that hell.

So I have to ask you this. During your "stint" in the military, did you see combat?

(Spoken as an Air Force brat, a daughter of a veteran of the Korean and Viet Nam wars. Nope, I don't wish that on any family).
I added the military thing because I left college after 4 years of wild, debaucherous behavior. I partied relentlessly. A result of being a spoiled kid who’d had too much in life given to him...car, a nice stipend, my own apartment, and my tuition and board paid for. My father cut the cord immediately after I graduated and demanded that I pull my head outta my ass and find a career path.

The Army helped me refocus my aims and restore the sense of personal discipline and accountability that I’d grown up with. That said, the Military isn’t for everyone. It wasn’t for me either, but I needed it at the time. Plus I’d hoped that it would be a path to joining the Foreign Service. Never happened, but that’s ok.

And no, no combat for me. Amazing because I was an Airborne Infantryman. Very happy that I didn’t.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Well, was your father there for you? I suspect he was. You know, I don’t have to tell you about the damage to a boy who grows up without his father compounded by economic hardships.

To be honest, I think the entire welfare system needs to be scrapped and something completely different put in place. I have no idea what that will look like but it sure as hell won’t be a 17 year old girl having a baby, living in an apartment with barely enough money to scrape by on and no way to get out.
Of course my father was there. Why wouldn’t he be? My parents were divorced, but I lived with my father moreso than with my mother. I spent summers with my mom.

I don’t want the welfare system to be scrapped. For what? We spend money in this country on things that are far more wasteful than welfare.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:09 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,165,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
Of course it is. Take away a humans pride and purpose and what is left?
Hip hop.

Economists like Sowell and Milton Friedman advocated the negative income tax, which is a form of Universal Basic Income.

The beauty of the negative income tax is that in order to get it, you have to work.

Part of the reasoning is that the Welfare Pukes will come to realize that their job totally sucks.Then, perhaps, they will ask themselves, "What can I do to better myself?"

Then, maybe, they'll take advantage of the Cornucopia of Opportunities from the Horn of Plenty.

There are literally thousands of free opportunities at the city, county, State, and federal level.

But the Welfare Pukes are not sufficiently motivated. All they do is play with their nails and have baby momma drama.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:14 AM

8,943 posts, read 2,965,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
You can't be an Uncle Tom without the name Thomas.
Right. Anyone who tries to break the cycle of black victimhood is an "Uncle Tom."

It's your way of putting your fingers in your ears and blocking it out, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies