Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2020, 06:49 AM

57,317 posts, read 26,245,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PotatoMan View Post
This is weird because St Michael is truly a rural town, not really a suburb. This guy must be a real twit to turn people against him like this, but isn’t that what the constitution is for, to keep the majority from bullying the few and the few from bullying the majority as well.
He knew the rules, just because he was a veteran using an American flag doesn't grant him a waiver more than anyone else. He must be a fool top allow it to get to this point, I'm sure he had advance warnings that he ignored.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2020, 07:50 AM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
He knew the rules, just because he was a veteran using an American flag doesn't grant him a waiver more than anyone else. He must be a fool top allow it to get to this point, I'm sure he had advance warnings that he ignored.
If other stand alone flagpoles are permitted, he will win this one. The HOAs have to apply the rules consistently and evenly. At least the HOAs in my state.

Somewhere in the rules it will say how many days the HOA has to respond to a request. And a remedy if they do not.

He should have paid the fines and then sued them.

Old 09-20-2020, 07:53 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I better not-- its Sunday morning

Old 09-20-2020, 07:55 AM

35,711 posts, read 21,081,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
I tried rep you but I need to spread it around.

I love the arrogance of only HOAs are safe places and only HOAs have good neighbors. LOL
They have no clue--but high end and other criminals live in HOAs

Over the past decade, our association has suffered from increased criminal activity.
There is no legally acceptable language that would allow you to amend your governing documents so that the HOA can discriminate against people renting or buying homes. HUD recognized that as many as 100 million U.S. adults, or nearly one-third of the population, have a criminal record of some sort. Recognizing that there are significant barriers to securing housing because of their criminal history, HUD stated that when “individuals are released from prisons and jails, their ability to access safe, secure and affordable housing is critical to their successful reentry to society.”
https://www.latimes.com/business/la-...701-story.html

NOT to include the NAZI thieves:

Former HOA treasurer indicted on theft, fraud charges AZ
Feds: Property manager stole $1.3 million from clients AZ
Plainville woman embezzled nearly $80K from condo association CT

Exposing Condo & HOA Corruption & Abuse | Supporting Property Rights of Housing Consumers in search of the American Dream #ValueMyRights #HomeBuyerBeware

https://independentamericancommuniti...ndup-oct-2017/

Old 09-20-2020, 09:39 AM

19,654 posts, read 12,244,081 times
Quote:
I tried rep you but I need to spread it around.

I love the arrogance of only HOAs are safe places and only HOAs have good neighbors. LOL
I don't think anyone is saying it is a requirement to be in a HOA to have good neighbors. But these days you really do take your chances outside of an HOA, even though HOAs are a PITA. I am astounded at how my neighborhood has changed. You said you had the same neighbors for decades and it was fine. Yes that usually is fine, it's when people start moving and the new crop comes in that things can go down hill fast. Also we are not usually talking about ten acres of space, but maybe quarter acre or less lots. When you have a denser area with everyone doing what they want and no zoning or ordinance enforcement, it inevitably becomes a chaotic mess. Someone here opened a car repair shop, with up to fifteen cars parked at the property in the driveway, yard AND street - a fully residential area not zoned for any business. People are moving and renting their houses to idiots who don't care, make a mess and probably are not paying rent because of Covid.

If I could find a house I liked in an HOA community I'd do it in a heartbeat and that is a complete flip for me, who always hated them, but I'm living the nightmare of "freedom". I would probably become involved in the HOA board to try to keep it honest and fair, also a PITA, but nothing is as bad as a freak show with no oversight or obligation to the community.

It's nice if some have been lucky, but many, many people tell their nightmare stories of formerly decent neighborhoods gone to hell. Once they are gone they don't come back unless they gentrify and that is very location dependent.

Old 09-20-2020, 11:01 AM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times
Quote:
Yeah because that is what all people who don't live in a HOA do, or they would do, were it not for the HOA control freaks.

I lived in the same home that I built for 2 decades, had the same neighbors for that same period of time, no one did any of the things you suggested.

HOA's are necessary for people who want to control others or be controlled by others.

I couldn't be paid to live in a control freak zone. People tell me what landscaping I can have, when I can cut my grass, what days I can cut my grass.etc.

I have a friend here lives in a gated community. Unlike US HOAs this one is reasonable. The big fight right now is trash collection and what color cans to use for recyclables . People need to get a life.

If you aren't a control freak on a HOA board then you are a controlled freak taking orders.

Psssst there is a thing called zoning laws and deed restrictions that take care of all you mentioned. You don't need a board of control freaks playing dictator.

I never said that HOA's are a guarantee of good neighbors, people aren't wired to be nice simply because they live in an HOA controlled neighborhood. What I'm speaking to is the problem I've been having trying to find a suitable house to downsize in.

I'm in a metro area of 2.4 million souls and the vast spread of neighborhoods should certainly provide me with a choice of homes suitable for my criteria. Unfortunately, the only areas that have clean well kept lawns, and homes are the one's with hard nosed HOA's. I was not a fan of HOA's for the bulk of my life, and I agree with you that they can be a total PIA sometimes.

But in my driving tours of the homes I can afford, the area is usually spotted with the types of dwellings which show an obviously lack of give a damn about anything having to do with home maintenance, or having a clean yard at the very least. Rural areas where people have acreage is a totally different tale, and out in the sticks who cares about the mess around the homes, you won't be right next to it anyway. But I'm speaking about the close in burbs where an older person wants to live, with stores and other services are close to home.

it make me sad to see that one house is immaculately kept, and fifteen feet next door is a hovel of neglect and a "I do as I please" kind of mindset at work. Why do people need an HOA? It's real simple, just to have one's largest investment protected from being devalued by the "my freedumbs" types..

Psst, you have no idea of the effect of liberal attitudes with regard to US private property rights--And further, most people aren't buying your claims of extremist HOA's as a norm. I've lived in HOA neighborhoods that were never over the top with extreme control freaks, but I've also lived in neighborhoods that had their share of people who were beyond the slob stage and were living on the edge of being a rat welcoming garbage dump..This isn't about someone insisting upon a scissors cut for your grass, no, this has become a problem of living among people who have no pride in anything they own..

Last edited by jertheber; 09-20-2020 at 11:16 AM..

Old 09-20-2020, 12:20 PM

24,005 posts, read 15,100,850 times
Quote:
Yeah because that is what all people who don't live in a HOA do, or they would do, were it not for the HOA control freaks.

I lived in the same home that I built for 2 decades, had the same neighbors for that same period of time, no one did any of the things you suggested.

HOA's are necessary for people who want to control others or be controlled by others.

I couldn't be paid to live in a control freak zone. People tell me what landscaping I can have, when I can cut my grass, what days I can cut my grass.etc.

I have a friend here lives in a gated community. Unlike US HOAs this one is reasonable. The big fight right now is trash collection and what color cans to use for recyclables . People need to get a life.

If you aren't a control freak on a HOA board then you are a controlled freak taking orders.

Psssst there is a thing called zoning laws and deed restrictions that take care of all you mentioned. You don't need a board of control freaks playing dictator.
It depends on your state.

Unincorporated Harris county Texas if they could incorporate would be the 2nd largest city in Texas and the 4th largest in the country. It has more people than 14 states.

Counties in Texas cannot make ordinances without special legislation from the state. SO those zoning laws you speak of do not exist for roughly 2 1/2 million people.

The only way to keep a body shop or ***** house from opening next door to your 400K- 4million buck house is enforceable deed restrictions governed by a HOA voted on by the homeowners. Yes, some are more zealous than others.

Now factor in the management company these HOA boards hire. They, too, come with non controllers to heavy controlling. Then factor in the people who moved from places like where you live who think there are laws and zoning and ordinances. Now factor in the guy who really wants his ragged out RV in the cut de sac even though the deed restrictions say no.

What's to control? Do you need to care about your investment?

Old 09-20-2020, 12:51 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Being that this is the political forum, a very elementary distinction is this is the Homeowners' Association making an issue out of this, not any unit of government. It's not an issue of government interference into free expression, but a private contractual dispute between two parties on how that's interpreted and enforced.

This is an important distinction to point out because it shows what can happen when there aren't well thought out checks and balances in any system where somebody has power over what someone else does. Homeowners' associations are rather notorious for being dictatorial with homeowners when a power-hungry person gets into a position of authority on the association. Buyer beware.

That should serve as a good lesson for the cases where there is a governmental issue to consider.
If an entity can demand obligatory fees, lay down and change rules for what you do on your property and enforce said rules with mandatory monetary punishments, it seems to me it's a government entity in all but name.

Old 09-20-2020, 01:11 PM

46,973 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
it make me sad to see that one house is immaculately kept, and fifteen feet next door is a hovel of neglect and a "I do as I please" kind of mindset at work. Why do people need an HOA? It's real simple, just to have one's largest investment protected from being devalued by the "my freedumbs" types.
Your neighbor is obliged to protect your investment? Why?

The nutjobs who used to be our neighbors called out someone for not being willing to take down a tree ("It blocks our ocean view! Takes $50,000 off our property value") and were met with universal variations of "What part of 'Not your tree' is giving you trouble?" They live in Palm Springs now, in a proper beige house in a neighborhood of proper beige houses, and that's probably a better fit.

I'm quite happy to be enjoying the sort of neighborhood were someone can turn their front yard into a cute little park area, while someone else has a statue of a bear wearing Mardi Gras beads propped up on a toilet in his front yard. You can put a chicken coop in your backyard, and no one bats an eyelid.

The average house price is still in the 7 figures, so...

Old 09-21-2020, 02:27 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,680,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
Your neighbor is obliged to protect your investment? Why?

The nutjobs who used to be our neighbors called out someone for not being willing to take down a tree ("It blocks our ocean view! Takes $50,000 off our property value") and were met with universal variations of "What part of 'Not your tree' is giving you trouble?" They live in Palm Springs now, in a proper beige house in a neighborhood of proper beige houses, and that's probably a better fit.

I'm quite happy to be enjoying the sort of neighborhood were someone can turn their front yard into a cute little park area, while someone else has a statue of a bear wearing Mardi Gras beads propped up on a toilet in his front yard. You can put a chicken coop in your backyard, and no one bats an eyelid.

The average house price is still in the 7 figures, so...
Your ZIP Code 90277: "Seven figures.." I'm not surprised that you don't understand my position, the price average of homes in any area usually dictate certain expectations. You're equating funny Bear statues with a yard full of cars and junk, chickens- in the house, dogs roaming the yards, weeds five feet tall--you got any of that in your million dollar hood?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies