Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-22-2020, 04:23 PM

89,029 posts, read 44,840,107 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Good Red Road View Post
It only seems ridiculous to you because it doesn’t fit your narrative but there are literally volumes of information linking
disease (like obesity) with access to healthcare.
I’m not your google monkey but here is a link from the National library of medicine, you can find dozens more on this topic in about 30 seconds of searching if you’re actually interested in fact finding.

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/10968733/

Although certain subgroups that tend to have disproportionately high prevalences of obesity (i.e., low socioeconomic status, minority groups) have reduced access to care.
Disease, perhaps. Obesity? No. Overeating and inadequate physical activity result in obesity. Lack of health care does not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2020, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But Oklahoma is number 10 for being obese and does not have a very large percentage of minorities.
Oklahoma is only about 65% white, very similar to the US population as a whole.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:28 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,431,754 times
The man with morals already has a better education
The man devoid of violence, hatred and and ingratitude
Is better than a PhD who burns and loots or teaches others to do so

Old 09-22-2020, 04:28 PM

Quote:
But probably most of them don't vote, college students, too. Democrats lose a lot of votes from college students not wanting to vote. Republicans lose some of those votes as well.
Sure, minorities vote. That's why they are listed as a demographic in exit polls.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Yet, why are there so many poor people living in Republican states? Most of the poorest states are Republican led and less educated. Could some of have to do with the fact that the minimum wage in those states is still only $7.25?
Because both Democrat voters and Republican voters live in every state. It's just that Republican voters are FAR more likely to be self-supporting than are Democrat voters, by a pretty significant margin. It would be a good idea for Democrat politicians to ponder that and see if they can fix that problem. Their voter base is disproportionately unable to support themselves, and the Democrats don't do anything to help them become self-sufficient.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
So what is driving people in the most obese states to love overeating and being too lazy to regularly exercise? Many of them seem too lazy or dumb to get better educated, too, since many come from the less educated states.

Where I come from to walk or jog for exercise you gotta do it at a park, rather than on a street sidewalk to avoid looking like the town weirdo. It's part of the culture.
Ask the Democrat voters. Obesity and under-education (and therefore, poverty) are predominantly a Democrat thing.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:36 PM

5,117 posts, read 2,163,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Because both Democrat voters and Republican voters live in every state. It's just that Republican voters are FAR more likely to be self-supporting than are Democrat voters, by a pretty significant margin. It would be a good idea for Democrat politicians to ponder that and see if they can fix that problem. Their voter base is disproportionately unable to support themselves, and the Democrats don't do anything to help them become self-sufficient.

Not to mention many liberals have this absurd and I mean absurd notion that big government was established to remedy all their problems!!!!!

Old 09-22-2020, 04:44 PM

25,578 posts, read 17,293,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Sure, minorities vote. That's why they are listed as a demographic in exit polls.
But the very poorest of people are not likely to vote. I won't cite a reference, since there are many articles available.

This doesn't change the conversation much, but I always found that fact to be interesting.... Politicians seem to pander to the poor, but they are actually posturing for the middle class, who actually does vote. By promising to help the poor, they solicit the vote of the idealistic non-poor, who, with hands clasped to their breasts, swoon at the thought of helping "all those poor people".

Bill Clinton, in particular, used this tool. If you promise to help and then claim that you did, you don't actually have to do anything.

Old 09-22-2020, 04:45 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,262,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jojajn View Post
US states in order from least to most educated:

Mississippi
West Virginia
Louisiana
Arkansas
Alabama
Kentucky
South Carolina
Nevada
New Mexico
Tennessee
Oklahoma
Texas
Arizona
Indiana
Idaho
South Dakota
Georgia
Ohio
Missouri
North Carolina
Pennsylvania
Iowa
Michigan
Florida
Alaska
California
Kansas
Nebraska
Rhode Island
Wisconsin
North Dakota
Montana
Maine
Delaware
Wyoming
Hawaii
Oregon
New York
Illinois
Utah
Minnesota
New Jersey
New Hampshire
Washington
Virginia
Connecticut
Vermont
Colorado
Maryland
Massachusetts

US States Ranked From Least to Most Educated
Help us out, give some hints.

Old 09-22-2020, 05:07 PM

25,744 posts, read 12,824,670 times
Quote:
It isn't better if you're too dumb to keep up with those highly educated people, whether their left or right, they won't have much patience with you.
I'd rather be "dumber" and have no national debt, than be "smarter" and have $26 TRILLION in debt.

I've been debt-free for many years, & retired in my 50's. I could get the USA out of debt in 7 years, and all I have is an MBA from a State University.

I trained 2 Harvard MBA's (while at GE Capital) to become CEO, and both struggled with the P&L, & Income statements. I didn't have much patience with them, so I eventually left...after they paid for my MBA.

I could pick 583 Americans at random at WalMart, and run the country better than our Ivy League educated Congressman do. I'd keep Paul and Massie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies