Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 08:37 PM

2,188 posts, read 1,384,241 times

Advertisements

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=7Ooa7wOKHhg
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2020, 10:27 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
If you do not give the Police reason to shoot you they won't. Is that so hard?
For one thing, that has been proven not true. For another, the idea that instant deadly retaliation is an acceptable consequence of non-compliance is abhorrent. There is a lack of accountability and of proportionality.

And it is posts like yours that belie the claim of the right that they're in favor of personal freedom and small government. You are defending government employees who kill citizens even in the absence of lethal threat or immediate danger - mere failure to comply is apparently all it takes.

Old 09-28-2020, 11:07 PM

28,122 posts, read 12,616,966 times
So, basically what you are suggesting is...to just be an obedient little subject...right?

Would you be suggesting black people that lived in the pre civil rights south, to 'just OBEY and COMPLY'...or would you be breaking those laws and helping them?!!

Old 09-29-2020, 09:33 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,395,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post
Comply, You Won’t Die
If she just wouldn't have dressed so provocatively, you honor......

Old 09-29-2020, 11:20 AM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
For one thing, that has been proven not true. For another, the idea that instant deadly retaliation is an acceptable consequence of non-compliance is abhorrent. There is a lack of accountability and of proportionality.

And it is posts like yours that belie the claim of the right that they're in favor of personal freedom and small government. You are defending government employees who kill citizens even in the absence of lethal threat or immediate danger - mere failure to comply is apparently all it takes.
Well, be careful what you wish for.....................

Two things. First, just about any retaliation for non-compliance can be deadly. As I've been saying these many weeks, I'll put people in the hospital and it is up to the Fates if it is the ER or the morgue. If it comes down to getting physical, I have about 5 seconds to take them out of action before they start defending and have the potential to take me out.

BUT....what if there was a way to stop people from resisting without potentially killing them. Say, something like this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidha.../#5ed02379773a

That is what you want, right? That is what is wished for.........right?

Old 09-29-2020, 01:20 PM

46,970 posts, read 26,018,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Two things. First, just about any retaliation for non-compliance can be deadly. As I've been saying these many weeks, I'll put people in the hospital and it is up to the Fates if it is the ER or the morgue. If it comes down to getting physical...
There's a ton of instances where it didn't come down to getting physical. Law enforcement opened up at a distance and on a suspicion that a risk might appear. Or at times just for God knows what reason, frankly.

The premise of the thread is "Just comply, and you won't die". The inevitable corollary is "Police may kill you for non-compliance." And that's not worthy of a free nation.

Why is it that other first-world countries can police in a manner that's much safer for citizens and law enforcement alike? It's not fancier gadgets. In fact here's considerably less tacticool equipment. Criminals in, say, Germany aren't any happier about being picked up. I suspect it's a culture and a training issue.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:44 PM

23,652 posts, read 14,013,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
There's a ton of instances where it didn't come down to getting physical. Law enforcement opened up at a distance and on a suspicion that a risk might appear. Or at times just for God knows what reason, frankly.

The premise of the thread is "Just comply, and you won't die". The inevitable corollary is "Police may kill you for non-compliance." And that's not worthy of a free nation.

Why is it that other first-world countries can police in a manner that's much safer for citizens and law enforcement alike? It's not fancier gadgets. In fact here's considerably less tacticool equipment. Criminals in, say, Germany aren't any happier about being picked up. I suspect it's a culture and a training issue.
Culture is a big thing, all the way from this being a very well armed public to the US being a country where the squeeky wheel gets the grease but Japan is a place where the nail that stands out gets hammered down.

Like I said, back in my time, if you didn't comply, you were instants away from being turned into a bloody pulp, having the shoulder dislocated, the arm broken, the skull cracked. You weren't likely to get shot because we didn't have guns.........but if they didn't obey my order to cease and desist, then they are on their way to become one with the floor.

As the Coast Guard says, "This is not a request, it is an order! Stop your engines!"

Old 09-29-2020, 01:48 PM

8,278 posts, read 6,279,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TamaraSavannah View Post

Two things. First, just about any retaliation for non-compliance can be deadly. As I've been saying these many weeks, I'll put people in the hospital and it is up to the Fates if it is the ER or the morgue. If it comes down to getting physical, I have about 5 seconds to take them out of action before they start defending and have the potential to take me out.

BUT....what if there was a way to stop people from resisting without potentially killing them. Say, something like this: https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidha.../#5ed02379773a

That is what you want, right? That is what is wished for.........right?
You're paid to accept those 5 seconds, that's your job, you knew it when you signed the contract, you knew it while attending the academy, if you didn't want to accept the risk there's myriad jobs to accept instead.

The issue is you increase the risk of death and serious injury to others by shirking the responsibilities you with full knowledge and freely agreeing signed up for. The death and serious injury I'm talking about is the 3 people per day killed in the US by cops, many of whom are not actually guilty of anything but "they were funny looking", or "they were carrying a weapon" later found to be a cell phone. All because you believe you have 5 seconds to act before you think you're gonna die.

Most other advanced countries have 3 suspects a year killed, sure the US has more guns (and so do Germany, Austria, Finland, Switzerland, etc.), but, there's no duty of the police to protect the public (Warren v. DC).

Old 09-29-2020, 01:50 PM

8,946 posts, read 2,968,764 times
This is the #1 message that the MSM, the black community, etc. should be teaching and preaching.

LITERALLY it will save lives. It's CRIMINAL that this is not taught.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:52 PM

31,848 posts, read 17,628,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rstevens62 View Post
So, basically what you are suggesting is...to just be an obedient little subject...right?

Would you be suggesting black people that lived in the pre civil rights south, to 'just OBEY and COMPLY'...or would you be breaking those laws and helping them?!!
This argument always sounds like someone saying, 'Oh, so I suppose I'm expected to stop texting while crossing the street, right? I'm a pedestrian and have the right of way!'

If you're willing to take a stupid risk - have at it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies