Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2020, 04:00 PM

13,961 posts, read 5,628,343 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Probably in the direction of Pat Robertson.
Not sure why a religious right wing moral authoritarian is where I am headed, but OK.

Insult and underlying message received.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2020, 04:09 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am only interested in hearing if there are independents. If you are a leftie and voted for Hillary, Obama, Clinton, etc...please move along.
So by saying this, you have already shown your bias right off the bat. And it can be understood as, you only want to hear from right leaning independents, and not true independents. Many of these poster are not independents at all, if you check out their posting history, they are Republicans hiding behind a independent label. They try to straddle the fence, because they don't want to offend anyone, like playing it safe.

Old 10-07-2020, 04:16 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,736,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
I am only interested in hearing if there are independents. If you are a leftie and voted for Hillary, Obama, Clinton, etc...please move along.
Well there's people like me that think that both parties are trash, but I tend to pick a "lesser of two evils" more often than not. I've voted for George W, Barack Obama, Ron Paul and Gary Johnson in my lifetime. Does that count?

Old 10-07-2020, 04:52 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,659,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Well there's people like me that think that both parties are trash, but I tend to pick a "lesser of two evils" more often than not. I've voted for George W, Barack Obama, Ron Paul and Gary Johnson in my lifetime. Does that count?
You sound like a true independent.

Old 10-07-2020, 05:36 PM

9,171 posts, read 13,253,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipaper View Post
You sound like a true independent.
Yup, that is a sign of a true independent.

Another key sign of being an independent is when you recognize the danger of one of these parties taking complete political control. I can see the results here in New York and I do not recommend it to anyone.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with an independent leaning toward one party or another and that may change over time. Just keep an open mind and try to see the bigger picture.

Old 10-07-2020, 11:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Yup, that is a sign of a true independent.

Another key sign of being an independent is when you recognize the danger of one of these parties taking complete political control. I can see the results here in New York and I do not recommend it to anyone.

Having said that, there is nothing wrong with an independent leaning toward one party or another and that may change over time. Just keep an open mind and try to see the bigger picture.
At this point, against my better judgement, I'm leaning towards the Republicans. Having said that, I've lived in Utah where they absolutely dominate politics (or they did when I lived there 15 years ago). It's not as bad as California, New York or here in Illinois, but having them function as a one-party system there definitely leads to significant corruption. The Democrats certainly have no monopoly on corruption.

Old 10-08-2020, 12:23 AM

7,643 posts, read 6,480,492 times
voted independent last time

Got Maga instead and the Covid

Old 10-08-2020, 07:30 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,640,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volobjectitarian View Post
Not sure why a religious right wing moral authoritarian is where I am headed, but OK.

Insult and underlying message received.
I guess humor is not your thing.

Old 10-08-2020, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangerous-Boy View Post
voted independent last time

Got Maga instead and the Covid
You're saying the second one as though it was an election outcome. Covid-19 was coming for us no matter what. Nobody avoided Covid-19 because their political leaders were "politically Left enough." No, Covid-19 quite happily spread to super-Lefty Europe. It spread to Japan, South Korea, Australia, the Middle East, Africa, South America, Russia, etc. It went everywhere and it's so contagious that sooner or later everyone on the planet will probably get it. There is no "coulda, shoulda, woulda" hypothetical president who'd have changed things much. The USA is the most comorbid nation on earth. The USA is fat, out of shape, diabetic and riddled with heart disease and cancer. A large death toll from Covid-19 was pretty much inevitable.

I'm still quite proud of the fact that I didn't vote for Trump or Clinton in 2016. I still have no regrets there. Both are terrible people. Neither deserved my vote.

Trump has gotten some great things done and I wasn't expecting much out of the big orange blowhard. Deregulation. No new war zones. Not going to war with Iraq. Advancing the peace process in the Middle East. The most success against human trafficking we've ever seen. Massive economic gains. Hopefully more action and less talk taking on big pharma. (R's and D's both talk big about "taking on big pharma" when it's election time, then they win, they cash the big pharma check and don't do a damn thing.) I'm actually thrilled that at least one of the two parties in our stupid partisan duopoly is being dragged -- kicking and screaming if necessary -- in the direction of less government, less war and less BS. I just wish it was somebody a lot less annoying than Donald Trump being the catalyst for that change. But with the American Cultural Revolution ramping up and the Dems wholeheartedly embracing it, I'm forced to vote for the bad orange man this time. I feel dirty already.

Both parties are still complete crap. That much certainly hasn't changed.

Old 10-08-2020, 10:03 AM

31,848 posts, read 17,615,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I guess humor is not your thing.
I'm just a bystander, but that wasn't funny. It was passive aggressive and I believe you know that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies