Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2020, 01:40 PM

10,108 posts, read 7,778,315 times

Advertisements

I am very selective about giving out my cell phone number. I have a Voip line that I use most places that require a phone number.

I've been getting texts from politicians and wondered how they are getting my cell number. I'd finally gotten to the place that I wasn't getting many junk calls.

These texts don't include my name.

Last edited by diddlydudette; 10-17-2020 at 01:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2020, 03:47 PM

20,955 posts, read 5,548,997 times
I'll take "Why I Don't Have A Cell Phone" for $1000, Alex.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:11 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Yes, very Big Brother. I've been getting texts from multiple political groups and I'm not sure where they got my info. But ralistically I know it's datemining. With computers they can cross-cross-cross-reference.

The srange thing is that 80% of the texts I receive are from Michigan and related to Michigan elections. I was born there, gre up there and was registered to vote there from the ages of 18-21 (1988-.1992) But that was almost 30 years ago, and 10+ years before I got a cellphone. I've been trying to get off of their distributions list since I have not been registered there in so long but there seems to be an unending supply of Michigan political interests that have somehow managed to get my number. Worse, as a lifelong independent, I'm getting them from all sides.

My husband mentioned the other day this probably means I am still showing on Michigan's rolls as an active voter in the state despte having not voted there for 30 years, which is a little concerning. I need to follow up on that.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:35 PM

17,440 posts, read 9,275,650 times
A lot of States have Voter rolls online. You might check and see if you have requested an absentee ballot.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:41 PM

4,507 posts, read 4,047,960 times
Watch Shadow Gate

Old 10-17-2020, 04:44 PM

5,654 posts, read 6,222,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
A lot of States have Voter rolls online. You might check and see if you have requested an absentee ballot.
Good lord I just checked and I could in theory go to vote there (despite not having voted there or done anything to re-register in 30 years). Like my previous state, Florida, there is no information on how to de-register. I will be calling them up on Monday to get that rectified.

Old 10-17-2020, 04:46 PM

4,167 posts, read 4,883,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post
I am very selective about giving out my cell phone number. I have a Voip line that I use most places that require a phone number.

I've been getting texts from politicians and wondered how they are getting my cell number. I'd finally gotten to the place that I wasn't getting many junk calls.

They got your number from the "Your Car Warranty has Expired" people.....!!

The "Do Not Call" registry rules do not apply to political party organizations....imagine that!!

Old 10-17-2020, 04:48 PM

8,272 posts, read 10,998,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by diddlydudette View Post

All depends on who or what company you have provided your telephone number. Land lines are still listed in the telephone books.

Cell numbers - depends again on who or what company you have provided your cell number. Many companies sell this information.

Why is it that I keep getting cell calls about a new vehicle that I bought (have sold) in 2008? From extended warranty companies. Did the new car dealer sell my cell phone number ?

Old 10-18-2020, 06:12 AM

1,746 posts, read 880,674 times
In many states, voter registration records are sold to bring in income.

My dad pointed this out to me years ago when he started receiving mail addressed to him with his full middle name on it (instead if just the initial). The only place he ever used his full middle name was when he registered to vote in the town my parents had moved to in NH.

He went down to the town hall and asked them about it and they admitted that yes, they do sell voter information. He told them to stop selling his.

Even since I've moved to South Carolina 5 years ago, I still receive NH political mailing here using my full middle name. The SC political stuff has my initial instead of name.

Check with your states and if they allow you to opt out of having your voter registration data sold, do so.

Old 10-18-2020, 06:35 AM

24,004 posts, read 15,096,054 times
Ever heard of credit monitoring companies, marketing companies, yada yada? It's what they do.

And there are companies that aggregate all your information with your online presence. The voter registration rolls. are public information. Last I years ago I could buy the whole county for 300 bucks.

They know what kind of toothpaste you use, the car you drive and if you need ED medication.

ANd marketing works. All that campaign donation money has to go somewhere.

It especially works if you know who and how to demoralize voters into not voting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies