Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2020, 08:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofball86 View Post
When people vote Republicans lose that's why they try to suppress the vote.
That is statically true.

When there's a large voter turnout, it tends to favor democrat candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 05:39 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,730,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I just learned, through local talk radio, that Governor Abbot had declared a mandate: in no county, can masks be required for voters OR poll workers. I believe he declared that in July, I just wasn't aware of it.

I voted early and every single person - workers, and voters were wearing masks and there was no discussion otherwise. We even had finger "cots" that we were asked to use - little rubber finger coverings so when you signed in on the electronic signature, and when you pressed the screen in the voting booth, there was some separation.

I was hearing that in Denton, TX, (north of Dallas) poll workers and voters were often unmasked and seeing this, some voters were leaving without casting a ballot.

Considering that Abbott has taken a stance where local counties can largely make their own rules about opening schools and bars and parks and libraries and whathaveyou, it seems blatantly partisan to say you may not require masks to vote or work at the polls. I don't see any other way to look at this.

Meanwhile, nationwide, and in many places in Texas, COVID deaths are on the rise again after being flat for a bit.
Of course you wouldn't see it any other way.

That pesky freedom, free will, and rights of the individual stuff just has to go, doesn't it?

Totalitarian much?

CN

Old 10-22-2020, 05:52 AM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times
There’s some mental gymnastics going on when you see record voter turnout and/or registration and people still peddle the media lie about voter suppression. You register, then you go somewhere and check a box, it’s not rocket science. Democrats love to support the myth that black people are somehow incapable of doing this or, god forbid, you ask a POC for an ID. We all know POC can’t get ID’s.

All this sounds like an excuse for low enthusiasm among Democrat voters.

Old 10-22-2020, 06:45 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The population of Texas is over 29 million. If there were only 9 million registered voters in Texas, that would be about 31%.

The 9 million number for registered voters in Texas appears to be too low.
It's way off ..... https://www.sos.texas.gov/about/news...9/092419.shtml

As of this month, there are 15,823,406 registered voters in Texas — a new state record

AND that was the number reported by the Texas Secretary of State in September 2019

USA Today reports 16.9 Million are registered in Texas, but not sure that is the final number

Old 10-22-2020, 07:04 AM

17,440 posts, read 9,271,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Every conservative in Texas is voting for Trump. The liberals are still weighing their options.
According to reports from Karens upset about mask not requirements ,,, Liberals may be walking out the door without voting.

I'll be working the Election for the first time ever - so I opted to take the "in person training" and was offered the chance to do the 4 hour training for Judges. The system is impressive - it won't be easy to cheat in Texas, if they can do it at all IF all Election workers follow the rules.

At the polling places - they don't have any choice about following the rules - the system of verification is both easy and pretty foolproof. What can happen is some fraud in the Absentee process when the Election people don't follow the rules. Signature verification is strong, ballot harvesting is illegal - but that is where they can try.

I've never seen such long lines and crowds at the Early Vote locations ..... not ever.
We will break records and I think the entire Election Nationwide breaks records.

Old 10-22-2020, 07:15 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,634 posts, read 17,975,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
According to reports from Karens upset about mask not requirements ,,, Liberals may be walking out the door without voting.

I'll be working the Election for the first time ever - so I opted to take the "in person training" and was offered the chance to do the 4 hour training for Judges. The system is impressive - it won't be easy to cheat in Texas, if they can do it at all IF all Election workers follow the rules.

At the polling places - they don't have any choice about following the rules - the system of verification is both easy and pretty foolproof. What can happen is some fraud in the Absentee process when the Election people don't follow the rules. Signature verification is strong, ballot harvesting is illegal - but that is where they can try.

I've never seen such long lines and crowds at the Early Vote locations ..... not ever.
We will break records and I think the entire Election Nationwide breaks records.
I'm not quite sure I would call people "Karens" who are observing that voters are leaving the polls without voting when they learn it's indoors and people aren't masked, but let's move on from there.

I agree with you, in Texas, it would be very near impossible to cheat at the polling place. There are eyes on everyone, and they are WATCHFUL. Not intimidating, but observant.

I saw a friend in line while I was voting this week, and we had a conversation about how difficult it is to choose the "down ballot" issues - we don't have kids in the schools anymore so we really don't know school board information, who knows who these judges are, it's so hard to know on the propositions, etc. The whole time we were talking I was aware of a woman standing close by watching us - and it wasn't until we said our goodbyes I saw she was a poll worker. Intently listening, and I know had we said ANYTHING AT ALL (we both know not to do that near the polls, it's like joking about bombs in airport security) specific to the propositions or candidates, she was prepared to step in. And do what I don't know, she wasn't having it. Which is a good thing.

Old 10-22-2020, 08:23 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
So happy to hear Texans are not being intimidated by Trumps statements, his policies, his USPS mega donors detrimental actions, Trumps calls to action of his poll watchers and Texas Republican leadership multiple policies that are detrimental to democratic voters as well as the elderly, infirm and those in poverty.

Voting is a very important part of our democracy and so happy to hear the Republican party (or any party) can not eliminate it even through detrimental policies, action and statements.

This post makes my day.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:34 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I just learned, through local talk radio, that Governor Abbot had declared a mandate: in no county, can masks be required for voters OR poll workers. I believe he declared that in July, I just wasn't aware of it.

I voted early and every single person - workers, and voters were wearing masks and there was no discussion otherwise. We even had finger "cots" that we were asked to use - little rubber finger coverings so when you signed in on the electronic signature, and when you pressed the screen in the voting booth, there was some separation.

I was hearing that in Denton, TX, (north of Dallas) poll workers and voters were often unmasked and seeing this, some voters were leaving without casting a ballot.

Considering that Abbott has taken a stance where local counties can largely make their own rules about opening schools and bars and parks and libraries and whathaveyou, it seems blatantly partisan to say you may not require masks to vote or work at the polls. I don't see any other way to look at this.

Meanwhile, nationwide, and in many places in Texas, COVID deaths are on the rise again after being flat for a bit.
No, deaths FROM covid are not on the rise in Texas and you have no proof. Silly that people still believe the fake death count.

Old 10-22-2020, 10:50 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,536,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
The population of Texas is over 29 million. If there were only 9 million registered voters in Texas, that would be about 31%.

The 9 million number for registered voters in Texas appears to be too low.
Texas has added more than 1.5 million new voters to the rolls since the last presidential election. More than 800,000 of those new voters registered since the November 2018 election. With the new additions, there are now more than 16.6 million Texans registered to vote in the November election. That’s a new state record.
https://www.reformaustin.org/electio...-for-november/

Old 10-22-2020, 11:05 AM

1,514 posts, read 891,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Texas has added more than 1.5 million new voters to the rolls since the last presidential election. More than 800,000 of those new voters registered since the November 2018 election. With the new additions, there are now more than 16.6 million Texans registered to vote in the November election. That’s a new state record.
https://www.reformaustin.org/electio...-for-november/
Good for Democracy, regardless of who wins.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies