Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2020, 02:51 PM

4,345 posts, read 2,244,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtl1 View Post
That was in the Declaration of Independence and not legally binding speaking to King George, the royalty and gentry and that their certain inalienable rights come from their creator and not man or the King. And what do you mean we never lived up to it? Who's inalienable rights are being denied?
And, more disturbing was the bit about teaching our kids what really happened?

WTF does that mean?

That sounds like dangerous revisionism to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2020, 02:52 PM

19,861 posts, read 9,418,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's a thoughtful, thinking man's ad. [SNIP]

It's to appeal to his own base especially those who may not be energetic enough to vote. [SNIP]

It's got appeal, to those he's appealing to. Those who think the term "all men are created equal" spoken in the US in 1777 is a slap in the face to the dignity of many who weren't treated equal. Like, you know, black people and women.
I think the above statements contradict each other.

Thinking people (not just men, btw) already know that the U.S. has NOT shown equality and justice to all, and they don't need to be told that in an ad. And thinking people already know that the best way to have their opinions known is to VOTE, and they don't need to be "energized" to do that.

In my opinion, the only energy this ad will generate is to create more dislike for Biden and the Democrats/liberals.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:52 PM

13,287 posts, read 8,480,864 times
A realistic approach.
Criticism that we can improve, we can accept out history and work together on
Positive change.
Thank you Biden for keeping it....realistic
You don't have to tell me twice our country made some humdingers of bad choices. And one will be leaving in January . Recess bully time is over on .

Old 10-22-2020, 02:53 PM

20,838 posts, read 17,135,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttboy View Post
Joe Biden releases bizarre new ad criticizing America

Joe Biden released an ad saying that America was never great. This is supposed to help him get elected, apparently. And it will certainly appeal to the base of the Democratic Party that has been engaged in self-hatred, guilt, and shame about our country.

"America was an idea, an idea," he said. "'We hold these truths to be self-evident.

https://thepostmillennial.com/joe-bi...cizing-america
Of course its real. His president was a traitor to our country must have rubbed off.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:54 PM

19,861 posts, read 9,418,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MESSENGERTOASCHERON View Post
that cannot be for real
Yes, that was my first thought, too, and why I said on my first post in this thread, "unless this is an elaborate hoax".

Old 10-22-2020, 02:55 PM

19,966 posts, read 7,893,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trekker99 View Post
And, more disturbing was the bit about teaching our kids what really happened?

WTF does that mean?

That sounds like dangerous revisionism to me.
It is revisionism and critical theory.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:55 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 19 days ago)

35,670 posts, read 18,040,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
I think the above statements contradict each other.

Thinking people (not just men, btw) already know that the U.S. has NOT shown equality and justice to all, and they don't need to be told that in an ad. And thinking people already know that the best way to have their opinions known is to VOTE, and they don't need to be "energized" to do that.

In my opinion, the only energy this ad will generate is to create more dislike toward Biden and the Democrats/liberals.
Among Trump supporters, I agree with your last statement. Trump supporters, by and large, are kind of irritated that there are those whose past in the United States was hurtful and unjust and they don't have the same strong patriotic feelings about the founding of the country.

"A thinking man's ad" is a turn of a phrase, as "A thinking man's candidate, a voting man's choice". I was riffing off all men are created equal. When it's come to mean all people.

It appeals to those who have fought hard for their rights, black people, women, gay people, people with a variety of handicaps, etc. The idea that the idea of America is a goal, and not something that was much better in the past than it is now, is appealing to many. And those people are likely to be Biden supporters.

Last edited by ClaraC; 10-22-2020 at 03:06 PM..

Old 10-22-2020, 02:57 PM

2,987 posts, read 1,757,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
It's a thoughtful, thinking man's ad. It's certainly not John Philips Sousa marching down main street, flags flying, but it's hopeful and true.

To me, this is a very hopeful statement. We're not perfect, and the "idea of America" is a perfect standard, and we're still trying.
Of course it has appeal to you. If our President aired the exact same advertisement, you'd be sitting on your arse in the street screaming full throated at the sky about what a traitor he was.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:58 PM

4,217 posts, read 2,531,095 times
We are an imperfect union, founded on perfect ideas that we continue to strive for.

"I’ve spoken of the shining city all my political life, but I don’t know if I ever quite communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace; a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and the heart to get here. That’s how I saw it, and see it still..." Ronald Reagan's Farewell Address.

He did not say we are perfect, but that we are a beacon that looks to the future. And Biden is right, we haven't lived up to it, but like Reagan's city on a hill, we strive.

Old 10-22-2020, 02:59 PM

6,373 posts, read 2,923,063 times
Has the US ever elected a Debbie Downer Prez?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies