Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 04:50 PM

16,236 posts, read 5,882,675 times

Advertisements

Some folks just can't get out of their own way. The anti-maskers are about as sane as the flat earthers. I suspect they also refuse to wash their hands after toileting because a sign on the wall said that they should. I will guess that many also refuse to wear seat belts as well. Why? Because they heard from a friend of a friend at a bar, that they were in an accident and a fireman told them that had they been wearing a seat belt they would have been killed. Right he didn't say that had they not been plastered they wouldn't have passed out at the wheel and ran the red light that resulted in the accident. LOL

I am fortunate. I live in a country that to date has had a blistering 60, Covid 19 related deaths. People here wear their masks in public. Are required to use hand sanitizer before entering any public place. Social distancing is enforced.

People here didn't go nuts buying toilet paper. They bought food. Hmmmmm
People here didn't go crazy because they were told to wear a mask. They went crazy finding masks for their elderly parents and children.

Then again they didn't go crazy when told to sign in before entering a public place. They understood that it was for in the event of an out break traced back to that establishment that they could be contacted and tested in a timely manner.

I love my country but man some people are contrary just for the sake of being contrary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 05:01 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
And still, it’s by far the largest and highest quality study we have to date on masks.
It is not that large, about a third of the enrolled participants did not complete the study, and there is no way to know whether anyone in the study did what he was initially assigned to do.

Bad methodology: garbage in, garbage out.

To top it off, the conclusion is not what you want it to be.

"The data were compatible with lesser degrees of self-protection."

Old 11-18-2020, 05:10 PM

17,625 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
It is not that large, about a third of the enrolled participants did not complete the study, and there is no way to know whether anyone in the study did what he was initially assigned to do.

Poor suzy. You still don't have a RCT that provides a scientific basis for your panic mongering.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:39 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,750,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Some folks just can't get out of their own way. The anti-maskers are about as sane as the flat earthers. I suspect they also refuse to wash their hands after toileting because a sign on the wall said that they should. I will guess that many also refuse to wear seat belts as well. Why? Because they heard from a friend of a friend at a bar, that they were in an accident and a fireman told them that had they been wearing a seat belt they would have been killed. Right he didn't say that had they not been plastered they wouldn't have passed out at the wheel and ran the red light that resulted in the accident. LOL

I am fortunate. I live in a country that to date has had a blistering 60, Covid 19 related deaths. People here wear their masks in public. Are required to use hand sanitizer before entering any public place. Social distancing is enforced.

People here didn't go nuts buying toilet paper. They bought food. Hmmmmm
People here didn't go crazy because they were told to wear a mask. They went crazy finding masks for their elderly parents and children.

Then again they didn't go crazy when told to sign in before entering a public place. They understood that it was for in the event of an out break traced back to that establishment that they could be contacted and tested in a timely manner.

I love my country but man some people are contrary just for the sake of being contrary.
Lots of unfounded leaps in logic going on here.

Everyone is masking here yet cases are surging.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:40 PM

Quote:

It’s by far the largest study we have on masks to date and the only randomized controlled one period.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:43 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Lots of unfounded leaps in logic going on here.

Everyone is masking here yet cases are surging.
Very few people are masking in the mid-west surging states. Sure, we've got mandates but they aren't enforced because people are afraid of getting a beat-down by the crazy anti-maskers.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
Very few people are masking in the mid-west surging states. Sure, we've got mandates but they aren't enforced because people are afraid of getting a beat-down by the crazy anti-maskers.

So do masks matter? A month ago masks were mandated outside as well as indoors in Denver, CO, a city where mask compliance was already extremely high yet cases continued to surge.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:44 PM

37,106 posts, read 41,277,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Poor suzy. You still don't have a RCT that provides a scientific basis for your panic mongering.
Quote:
It’s by far the largest study we have on masks to date and the only randomized controlled one period.
https://www.medrxiv.org/content/10.1...116v1.full.pdf

"The meta-analysis of existing randomized control studies found support for the efficacy of face masks among the general public. Our results show that face masks protect populations from infections and do not pose a significant risk to users."

Old 11-18-2020, 05:57 PM

17,625 posts, read 6,914,908 times
Quote:

"The meta-analysis of existing randomized control studies found support for the efficacy of face masks among the general public. Our results show that face masks protect populations from infections and do not pose a significant risk to users."
Nope, not a RCT. Try again.

Old 11-18-2020, 06:04 PM

Quote:

Did you look at the studies that were a part of the meta-analysis? You’re criticizing the Denmark study as not being large enough (6,000 people) yet the first study I looked at from your link consists of 164 people.
Quote:
A total of 22 tents were randomised to 'mask' (n=12) or 'control' (n=10). There were 164 pilgrims recruited; 75 in 'mask' and 89 in 'control' group. Mask use compliance was 76% in the 'mask' group and 12% in the 'control' group. Based on developing syndromic ILI, less contacts became symptomatic in the 'mask' tents compared to the 'control' tents (31% versus 53%, p= 0.04). However, laboratory results did not show any difference between the two groups.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies