Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2020, 05:26 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,783 times

Advertisements

They used surgical masks too, not just any masks.

I want to see the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

17,672 posts, read 6,928,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
Sorry, my mistake. It’s a randomized controlled trial.
Well, I was told by Matadora that there is no such thing as a randomized controlled trial when it comes to studying mask use. She posts as if she works in the health care field. I'm thinking CNA or phlebotomist.

Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

35,637 posts, read 17,994,810 times
Quote:
Here’s a link that doesn’t require cookies or translation. https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04337541

We won’t be able to see the actual study until it’s published.

And another. https://www.yourdanishlife.dk/unique...lity-of-masks/
So I read through the methodology. Basically, healthy adults wear masks and go on about their normal routines, and another group of healthy adults don't wear masks and go about their daily routines. In a month we'll see who has more covid. In a nutshell.

First, that methodology DOESN'T test for what science is currently telling us - that mask wearers protect OTHERS, not the wearer. So that component - the most interesting and most widely recommended procedure - doesn't even enter this study at all.

Secondly, there is no double blind or placebo components to this study as the original post indicated.

I don't now whether wearing a mask around a bunch of non mask wearers will help the mask wearer avoid COVID, but that's what this study seeks to determine, and it does seem early on that we were told masks don't protect the wearer.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:28 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
So I read through the methodology. Basically, healthy adults wear masks and go on about their normal routines, and healthy adults don't wear masks and go about their daily routines. In a month we'll see who has more covid. In a nutshell.

First, that methodology DOESN'T test for what science is currently telling us - that mask wearers protect OTHERS, not the wearer. So that component - the most interesting and most widely recommended procedure - doesn't even enter this study at all.

Secondly, there is no double blind or placebo components to this study as the original post indicated.

I don't now whether wearing a mask around a bunch of non mask wearers will help the mask wearer avoid COVID, but that's what this study seeks to determine, and it does seem early on that we were told masks don't protect the wearer.
I updated the OP to correct my mistake regarding double blind placebo controlled.

Is there truly any real evidence that masks protect others?

Old 10-23-2020, 05:30 PM

17,672 posts, read 6,928,439 times
Quote:
I updated the OP to correct my mistake regarding double blind placebo controlled.

Yes, there's a youtube video or two showing someone sneezing, with animations showing droplets.

That's what passes for "science" among the mask cultists.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:31 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,119,783 times
Quote:
First, that methodology DOESN'T test for what science is currently telling us - that mask wearers protect OTHERS, not the wearer.

Science is saying both. The same mechanism protecting others from catching Covid19 from you, also offers some protection to the wearer.

So this is where results are very important. If there is no difference between the mask wearers and the control group, it blows up the mask narrative.

Personally, I think W. Europe is blowing up the mask narrative by itself. They had mask mandates everywhere, and look what's happening in every W European country.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:32 PM

19,056 posts, read 27,627,799 times
At least, they used people.
Japan proved 97% masks efficiency, using manikins, as patient subjects.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:43 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 11 days ago)

Quote:

The evidence at this point is anecdotal - that is, where people are masked and distanced, there seems to be less spread.

I think the only way to test this FOR SURE would be to put known infected people in groups - some groups all masked, and some groups not masked - and count who gets sick in each group. Doesn't seem like a very good idea.

The evidence seems pretty clear - in Austin, they opened bars for ONE weekend, and people who went to those bars had a huge uptick in infections - doing what you do in bars. Stand real close to each other, no mask, and shout in each other's faces to be heard over the music and crowd noise.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,759,879 times
Quote:
The evidence at this point is anecdotal - that is, where people are masked and distanced, there seems to be less spread.

I think the only way to test this FOR SURE would be to put known infected people in groups - some groups all masked, and some groups not masked - and count who gets sick in each group. Doesn't seem like a very good idea.

The evidence seems pretty clear - in Austin, they opened bars for ONE weekend, and people who went to those bars had a huge uptick in infections - doing what you do in bars. Stand real close to each other, no mask, and shout in each other's faces to be heard over the music and crowd noise.

Hopefully this study is published. There is no reason other then suppression why it’s not.

Old 10-23-2020, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
Yes, there's a youtube video or two showing someone sneezing, with animations showing droplets.

That's what passes for "science" among the mask cultists.
Well, that's where you START, in gathering information. You see what seems to be working (people in masked communities seem to have less spread when the virus is present in the community than people who are unmasked when the virus is present in the community).

And then some stuff, falls under "that stands to reason". It stands to reason that a mask over the face would keep the wearer from spreading as much of a respiratory virus compared to a person who isn't masked. When you can SEE 10X the water droplets escaping into the air from an unmasked person in a slomo video, it "stands to reason" that the virus would be spread more quickly with an unmasked person.

And THAT is why all of us grew up knowing it was rude not to cover your moth and nose with a tissue or your hand when coughing and sneezing. Because we've all known for generations that coughing and sneezing into the open air spreads disease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies