Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2020, 01:46 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,356,885 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I will tell you what I have seen as an educator - children are suffering, the academic gap has grown into an academic canyon, they will emotionally and psychologically be paying for this year the rest of their lives, and THEY are not at risk. In my entire state one child (0-20 years old) had died from Covid, that’s right ONE child. Guess how many have been hospitalized for it, again in the entire state - that one child plus two others, so three total.

Want to know how many of just my former students under age 20, and only that I know of, have successfully committed suicide - two. How about how many, again just that I know of, that have attempted it - seven. God knows how many I don’t know of that have done the same. The overall running theme in my current student teachers’ reflections is how sad and depressed the kids are, how many of them cry, and how helpless they feel as teachers to reach them.

You can show me all the blatherings you want from WHO or Fauci but I can see with my own eyes reality. That reality, in case you missed it, is that the cure has been worse than the disease - especially for those under 40 or 50 years old. We have damaged an entire generation in a misguided attempt to shield older people. That was acceptable the first couple of months when we were trying to figure it out but it no longer is. I say this as a person who lost two brothers and a nephew early on to Covid; we need to stop destroying our nation to shield people like me and Chuck Grassley. Chuck and I are both capable of deciding whether we want risk our health or isolate, we are the ones at risk and if anyone is going to be locked up it should be us. If you have no risk factors you need to go back to work and I know the kids need to go back to school.
You haven't seen the effects of the disease yet. There are still perhaps 300 million people who could get it. If three-fourths of them get it...then you'll see the effects of the disease and we'll have full knowledge about how appropriate various measures were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2020, 02:38 PM

5,671 posts, read 4,356,885 times
The first two vaccine candidates likely to receive FDA authorization appear to be 95% effective against coronavirus. Is the end of the pandemic now in sight?
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/will-we-...ake-it-happen/

That's from Nov. 18

I've been in favor of being VERY conservative early on, as far as pro-keeping things closed down is concerned. This winter, things haven't spiked up as much as I'd assumed they would so I've relaxed my attitude.

Recently, things have seemed to start spiking up again. Between that and a vaccine in sight...I'm probably going back to being more conservative again. If six months of closed schools means 200 million fewer people get the virus, that seems like a pretty good deal to me.

It's hard to say either way though. This virus is weird. It didn't skyrocket all the way to the moon like I thought it would after they first started opening up businesses in the summer. I'm not sure what's going on...or whether the amount of infections will just keep steadily, slowly climbing, or skyrocket all the way to the moon and infect a hundred million people in three months...or what.

I don't know why people keep forgetting that it's not the 200,000 something dead we should be concerned about. It's the 300 million more people that may not have been infected yet.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:09 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I will tell you what I have seen as an educator - children are suffering, the academic gap has grown into an academic canyon, they will emotionally and psychologically be paying for this year the rest of their lives, and THEY are not at risk. In my entire state one child (0-20 years old) had died from Covid, that’s right ONE child. Guess how many have been hospitalized for it, again in the entire state - that one child plus two others, so three total.

Want to know how many of just my former students under age 20, and only that I know of, have successfully committed suicide - two. How about how many, again just that I know of, that have attempted it - seven. God knows how many I don’t know of that have done the same. The overall running theme in my current student teachers’ reflections is how sad and depressed the kids are, how many of them cry, and how helpless they feel as teachers to reach them.

You can show me all the blatherings you want from WHO or Fauci but I can see with my own eyes reality. That reality, in case you missed it, is that the cure has been worse than the disease - especially for those under 40 or 50 years old. We have damaged an entire generation in a misguided attempt to shield older people. That was acceptable the first couple of months when we were trying to figure it out but it no longer is. I say this as a person who lost two brothers and a nephew early on to Covid; we need to stop destroying our nation to shield people like me and Chuck Grassley. Chuck and I are both capable of deciding whether we want risk our health or isolate, we are the ones at risk and if anyone is going to be locked up it should be us. If you have no risk factors you need to go back to work and I know the kids need to go back to school.
I’m a parent of school age kids and agree that the kids are not all right. A lot of parent are reporting increased depression and anxiety in their kids. Remote schooling is not going so well for a lot of kids either.

I sometimes wonder if I was older and in a higher risk category if I’d be ok with sacrificing my grandkids and my kids in order to make thing safer for me and I really don’t think I would at all.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,465,558 times
I’m sorry I don’t fully understand -if c19 just kills old people and if im dead my nephew gets $$$$$$$ you want him to weep? Did you see knives out movie?

Old 11-18-2020, 03:22 PM

19,827 posts, read 9,387,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
I live in an area where mask compliance is high. The health dept. does random checks and it was said to be around 99% the last time I heard which was very recently. Restaurants are open with 50% capacity. Bars are also open at 50% capacity but must close early, like 10pm or 11pm, can’t remember the latest. Some schools are open for in person and others are not.

In spite of that, cases are up and so are hospitalizations. We just got a finger wagging from our Governor telling us to do better. Currently only allowed to have up to ten people in your own home and only from two households. Masks are now being required outdoors in Denver.

What this seems to be telling me is that even if we follow all of the instructions, it simply doesn’t work. We cannot hide from a virus.

I am mad that we continue on with this charade.
Wish I could rep you again.

The problem, as I see it, is that most people are following rules they don't like while there is no unarguable proof that the restrictions are helping -- and they might even be making things worse and/or prolonging the duration of the pandemic. AND there is not a provable end in sight (meaning, who really knows how long we will be coping with this). AND many people are much worse off now, either financially or psychologically, than they were a year ago. AND, last but certainly not least, many people have lost loved ones to COVID and/or have suffered health problems because of it.

I am not so much angered or bothered by this situation, as I am just so frustrated by it.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:31 PM

19,827 posts, read 9,387,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roodd279 View Post
That reality, in case you missed it...

Is that no sensible person thinks kids suffer from COVID - but EVERY sensible person realizes that kids have parents and grandparents, and that schools are an efficient way to get germs across town, where previously they stayed at home.

To focus on the kids is to miss the larger (Virus) issue - it's not about kids - or teachers. It's about the other adults who deal with kids once they get home. Why is this so hard to understand?

Meantime - if missing school is causing that much distress - I suppose all home-schoolers have always suffered...?
Perhaps I am reading this the wrong way, but I think that the education and mental health of children are much more important than keeping retirees alive (and I am a 67-year-old retiree).

Old 11-18-2020, 03:35 PM

17,311 posts, read 12,271,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
But do you care...”NO” we need to destroy the economy to get rid of evil orange man...and if it requires human collateral damage so be it...because in the end we really are looking out for your best interest...trust us..

https://thefederalist.com/2020/10/21...han-the-virus/
Those are some actuaries remarkably bad at their jobs. The excess deaths statistic would show this...and doesn't.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:50 PM

2,942 posts, read 1,640,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
That’s correct liberals don’t care. Lost your job, home, sanity, joy, and livelihood due to lockdowns? Who cares?

Substance abuse, domestic abuse, divorce, evictions, and financial strain? Who cares?

It’s time to celebrate!
Enjoy your lockdown Bidencans. We'll let you know when its safe to stick your head out the front door.

Old 11-18-2020, 03:50 PM

26,660 posts, read 13,763,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
Wish I could rep you again.

The problem, as I see it, is that most people are following rules they don't like while there is no unarguable proof that the restrictions are helping -- and they might even be making things worse and/or prolonging the duration of the pandemic. AND there is not a provable end in sight (meaning, who really knows how long we will be coping with this). AND many people are much worse off now, either financially or psychologically, than they were a year ago. AND, last but certainly not least, many people have lost loved ones to COVID and/or have suffered health problems because of it.

I am not so much angered or bothered by this situation, as I am just so frustrated by it.
I’m also very frustrated. I do think we’re prolonging the inevitable.

I’m really glad you quoted that post of mine because it shows that the new rules (masks outdoors, limited number of people allowed to gather) that were imposed almost a month ago haven’t made anything better. Cases continued to rise and so did hospitalizations so now they will close restaurants and some other businesses down effective tomorrow.

Old 11-18-2020, 04:08 PM

4,026 posts, read 1,882,749 times
Let me get this right:

Homeschooled children are somehow genetically superior...so as not to be depressed without school.
No measures to end it are working - none at all - so, therefore, this is - literally - as bad as it can get. Can't get worse.

To whatever degree it's NOT worse than it is, it's strictly dumb luck - nothing else.

It's been 8 months, people. None of your whining and complaining about poverty, oppression, and exaggeration have had one ounce of affect on the trajectory of this disease. Nothing. You are a stubborn bunch. Nothing you say will change this. You know what WILL change it?

Doing something to stop it besides complaining. If you do not think masks work - great. That's fine. Ya know what works, darn near 100%? Distance. That's it. Avoid people. That's all ya gotta do. Too hard for you? Not 6 feet. I mean - out of eye sight. Stay home. If you work - go to work. If you're not at work - go home. Distance works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies