Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 05:42 AM

6,933 posts, read 2,391,611 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
So what's your explanation for how Earth's temperature has been steadily rising since the 1970's despite the Sun retaining a pretty unchanging level of activity for that time?
I live on a giant glacial moraine in New York called Long Island. It was formed by TWO glacation melt downs 20,000 and 12,000 years ago. First, the Laurentide Ice Sheet receded forming the hills and South Fork. What caused that initial retreat of the mile thick ice was CERTAINLY NOT any man made cause. But then an event happened 12,000 years ago that ushered in another return of the ice, called the Younger Dryas period, that lasted approximately 1,000 years until the warming resumed, leaving behind the North Fork and North Shore cliffs.

It is theorized that the YD was the result of a cosmic impact, but overall the last ice age finally ENDED without the pesky Human activity at the time.

What ended the last Ice Age??? It WASN'T CO2, that's for sure!

Science mixed with politics is nothing other than PURE EVIL in the quest of CONTROL of the masses.

Have a nice day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 06:00 AM

19,029 posts, read 14,213,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
If its a hoax, perhaps then they should lobby their legislators to remove funding for protecting Naval Station Norfolk from rising sea waters.
Is the sea water really RISING, or is the land SETTLING?
Are all surrounding lands also suffering from flooding, or just around Norfolk?

Frankly, lumping every oddity together as "climate change" is one reason to assume it's a hoax.

Quote:
How much has the ocean risen in the past 100 years?
Over the past 100 years, global temperatures have risen about 1 degree C (1.8 degrees F), with sea level response to that warming totaling about 160 to 210 mm (with about half of that amount occurring since 1993), or about 6 to 8 inches.
I bet Norfolk is seeing a lot more than 6 to 8 inches, which means it is not driven by AGCC.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:20 AM

4,192 posts, read 2,512,816 times
Tidewater VA is seeing rising sea levels due to climate change and subsidence. The rate of each can be quantified and identified based on 400 years of history, archeological remains and modern measurements. What's going on now is not just due to natural subsidence. The Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences (VIMS) has been working on this issue through both democratic and republican governors.

Other areas not subject to subsidence such as Charleston, SC are seeing similar flooding issues.

These are just some of the USN bases addressing rising seawaters. As I started off, if its a hoax, why is this money being spent on mitigation on these bases?

Naval Air Station Key West, Fla., Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Ga., Naval Base Guam, Guam, Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam, Hawaii, Wahiawa Annex, Hawaii, Naval Magazine Indian Island, Washington, Naval Base Coronado, Calif. Camps Lejeune and Pendleton are now having to undergo rising seawater mitigation measures and they are on opposite sides of the nation; Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Robert B. Neller acknowledged this in a symposium in 2019 - either mitigate or prepare to move the bases.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:25 AM

8,631 posts, read 9,141,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Biden most likely invested his China bribes into some sort of carbon credit racket of some sort.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
Tidewater VA is seeing rising sea levels due to climate change and subsidence. The rate of each can be quantified and identified based on 400 years of history, archeological remains and modern measurements. What's going on now is not just due to natural subsidence. The Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences (VIMS) has been working on this issue through both democratic and republican governors.

Other areas not subject to subsidence such as Charleston, SC are seeing similar flooding issues.

These are just some of the USN bases addressing rising seawaters. As I started off, if its a hoax, why is this money being spent on mitigation on these bases?

Naval Air Station Key West, Fla., Naval Submarine Base Kings Bay, Ga., Naval Base Guam, Guam, Joint Base Pearl Harbor Hickam, Hawaii, Wahiawa Annex, Hawaii, Naval Magazine Indian Island, Washington, Naval Base Coronado, Calif. Camps Lejeune and Pendleton are now having to undergo rising seawater mitigation measures and they are on opposite sides of the nation; Commandant of the Marine Corps Gen. Robert B. Neller acknowledged this in a symposium in 2019 - either mitigate or prepare to move the bases.
Around here we call it high tide.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:50 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaMaj7 View Post
I live on a giant glacial moraine in New York called Long Island. It was formed by TWO glacation melt downs 20,000 and 12,000 years ago. First, the Laurentide Ice Sheet receded forming the hills and South Fork. What caused that initial retreat of the mile thick ice was CERTAINLY NOT any man made cause. But then an event happened 12,000 years ago that ushered in another return of the ice, called the Younger Dryas period, that lasted approximately 1,000 years until the warming resumed, leaving behind the North Fork and North Shore cliffs.

It is theorized that the YD was the result of a cosmic impact, but overall the last ice age finally ENDED without the pesky Human activity at the time.

What ended the last Ice Age??? It WASN'T CO2, that's for sure!

Science mixed with politics is nothing other than PURE EVIL in the quest of CONTROL of the masses.

Have a nice day.
I forget the exact timescales but from what I remember offhand glacial and interglacial periods tend to occur in cycles that take...it might have been...130 thousand years or so.

Anyway, they happen cyclically. Interglacial periods are warmer periods. I'm not sure anybody knows why Earth, or at least important parts of Earth, start to warm, but because they're cyclical the assumption is that this is because of patterns in Earth's position in our solar system, tilt, and that sort of thing.

Now Earth does warm before C02 levels begin to rise. After awhile C02 temperatures rise pretty steadily alongside the planet's temperature rise. This is going to be because of oceans outgassing C02 when they get warm.

Our oceans are currently absorbing more C02 than they're outgassing into the atmosphere. Therefore, humans are pumping more C02 into the atmosphere than the ocean normally outgasses in an interglacial period because we are currently within an interglacial period. Nothing else can be pumping out that much C02 except for humans. We pump out many times as much C02 as volcanoes do each year.

Now, from what I've read C02 is only a very small percentage of the atmosphere, but from what I've read it's part of a very small percentage of atmospheric gasses that actually does much of anything in terms of keeping heat contained on Earth. The Nitrogen and oxygen that composes 99% of our planet's atmosphere doesn't do much of anything. Water vapor is great at holding in heat energy, but each C02 particle is better at holding heat energy than each molecule of water, and water vapor pretty much only increases in the atmosphere when something else warms the planet first anyway.

Now, regarding the question of what might have resulted in those glaciers melting..that was presumably part of the interglacial period that we remain in today. This timeline makes that look about right to me:
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/abrupt-cli...the%20Holocene.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Regarding that re-cooling of things you mentioned that resulted in glaciers increasing, here's a potential explanation from Wikipedia:

The Younger Dryas (around 12,900 to 11,700 years BP[2]) was a return to glacial conditions after the Late Glacial Interstadial, which temporarily reversed the gradual climatic warming after the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM) started receding around 20,000 BP. It is named after an indicator genus, the alpine-tundra wildflower Dryas octopetala, as its leaves are occasionally abundant in late glacial, often minerogenic-rich sediments, such as the lake sediments of Scandinavia.

Physical evidence of a sharp decline in temperature over most of the Northern Hemisphere has been discovered by geological research. This temperature change occurred at the end of what the earth sciences refer to as the Pleistocene epoch and immediately before the current, warmer Holocene epoch. In archaeology, this time frame coincides with the final stages of the Upper Paleolithic in many areas.

The Younger Dryas was the most recent and longest of several interruptions to the gradual warming of the Earth's climate since the severe LGM, about 27,000 to 24,000 years BP. The change was relatively sudden, taking place in decades, and it resulted in a decline of temperatures in Greenland by 4 to 10 °C (7.2 to 18 °F)[3] and advances of glaciers and drier conditions, over much of the temperate Northern Hemisphere. It is thought[4] to have been caused by a decline in the strength of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation, which transports warm water from the Equator towards the North Pole, in turn thought to have been caused by an influx of fresh, cold water from North America to the Atlantic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younge...orth%20America.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

But all that's largely beside the point because, obviously, nature changes with time without human help. "Nature changing with time" is not an answer. I asked for an explanation of why, since the 1970's, Earth's temperature has been steadily increasing (along with the amount of C02 in Earth's atmosphere) despite the Sun remaining in a pretty monotonous state of activity.

Give me anything. All I want is one possible explanation besides humans. I have seen one or two out there that I didn't really understand, but they all seem to require a lot more creativity to explain than just assuming that human-produced C02 is causing a large percentage of that temperature increase.

Old 11-17-2020, 06:54 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
The Green New Deal the Dems are pushing is NOT about climate nor the environment, but more false justification for income and wealth redistribution and bigger and bigger GOVERNMENT. Period.
Amen...we will be forced into paying for solar whether we can afford it or not. Forced into purchasing new cars whether you can afford them or not. It’s all insanity

Old 11-17-2020, 06:58 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,353,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigger84Ag View Post
Amen...we will be forced into paying for solar whether we can afford it or not. Forced into purchasing new cars whether you can afford them or not. It’s all insanity
Biden? You think boring-as-watching-paint-dry Biden is going to do that?
No. That would not be the case. Even Sanders and Cortez wouldn't do that.

Biden's going to do slightly more than squat in all likelihood. He'll do more than nothing. He also won't destroy progress like Trump wanted to do. He wants everybody to be happy though. That's his primary goal.

Old 11-17-2020, 07:10 AM

Quote:
I forget the exact timescales but from what I remember offhand glacial and interglacial periods tend to occur in cycles that take...it might have been...130 thousand years or so.

Anyway, they happen cyclically. Interglacial periods are warmer periods. I'm not sure anybody knows why Earth, or at least important parts of Earth, start to warm, but because they're cyclical the assumption is that this is because of patterns in Earth's position in our solar system, tilt, and that sort of thing.

Now Earth does warm before C02 levels begin to rise. After awhile C02 temperatures rise pretty steadily alongside the planet's temperature rise. This is going to be because of oceans outgassing C02 when they get warm.

Our oceans are currently absorbing more C02 than they're outgassing into the atmosphere. Therefore, humans are pumping more C02 into the atmosphere than the ocean normally outgasses in an interglacial period because we are currently within an interglacial period. Nothing else can be pumping out that much C02 except for humans. We pump out many times as much C02 as volcanoes do each year.

Now, from what I've read C02 is only a very small percentage of the atmosphere, but from what I've read it's part of a very small percentage of atmospheric gasses that actually does much of anything in terms of keeping heat contained on Earth. The Nitrogen and oxygen that composes 99% of our planet's atmosphere doesn't do much of anything. Water vapor is great at holding in heat energy, but each C02 particle is better at holding heat energy than each molecule of water, and water vapor pretty much only increases in the atmosphere when something else warms the planet first anyway.

Now, regarding the question of what might have resulted in those glaciers melting..that was presumably part of the interglacial period that we remain in today. This timeline makes that look about right to me:
https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/abrupt-cli...the%20Holocene.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Regarding that re-cooling of things you mentioned that resulted in glaciers increasing, here's a potential explanation from Wikipedia:

The Younger Dryas (around 12,900 to 11,700 years BP[2]) was a return to glacial conditions after the Late Glacial Interstadial, which temporarily reversed the gradual climatic warming after the Last Glacial Maximum (LGM) started receding around 20,000 BP. It is named after an indicator genus, the alpine-tundra wildflower Dryas octopetala, as its leaves are occasionally abundant in late glacial, often minerogenic-rich sediments, such as the lake sediments of Scandinavia.

Physical evidence of a sharp decline in temperature over most of the Northern Hemisphere has been discovered by geological research. This temperature change occurred at the end of what the earth sciences refer to as the Pleistocene epoch and immediately before the current, warmer Holocene epoch. In archaeology, this time frame coincides with the final stages of the Upper Paleolithic in many areas.

The Younger Dryas was the most recent and longest of several interruptions to the gradual warming of the Earth's climate since the severe LGM, about 27,000 to 24,000 years BP. The change was relatively sudden, taking place in decades, and it resulted in a decline of temperatures in Greenland by 4 to 10 °C (7.2 to 18 °F)[3] and advances of glaciers and drier conditions, over much of the temperate Northern Hemisphere. It is thought[4] to have been caused by a decline in the strength of the Atlantic meridional overturning circulation, which transports warm water from the Equator towards the North Pole, in turn thought to have been caused by an influx of fresh, cold water from North America to the Atlantic.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Younge...orth%20America.
__________________________________________________ ____________________________

But all that's largely beside the point because, obviously, nature changes with time without human help. "Nature changing with time" is not an answer. I asked for an explanation of why, since the 1970's, Earth's temperature has been steadily increasing (along with the amount of C02 in Earth's atmosphere) despite the Sun remaining in a pretty monotonous state of activity.

Give me anything. All I want is one possible explanation besides humans. I have seen one or two out there that I didn't really understand, but they all seem to require a lot more creativity to explain than just assuming that human-produced C02 is causing a large percentage of that temperature increase.
I find it amusing, and pathetic, that the 1970's are the benchmark showing the "warming" while the incredible heat of the 1930's is completely ignored.

Changes aren't permanent, but change is, and constant change is here to stay. (NP)

Politicised "science" is pure EVIL!

Old 11-17-2020, 07:15 AM

18,561 posts, read 7,375,874 times
Quote:
Nah...that's a bad idea. What's a better idea is totally ignoring that oil is a non-renewable resource and just kind of winging it until that particular foundation of our society collapses out from under us suddenly and without warning...possibly at about the same time that our coasts are flooding and a few hundred million or so broke, illiterate migrants are swarming our borders because their nations are no longer inhabitable.

Wheeee! Screw the future! It ain't here yet anyway. It don't matter. We'll all be dead by then and most children are irritating anyway. This can be our vengeance to them for bothering us all the time and liking bad music.
You have identified a problem. Oil will run out. Yet here you are implicitly conceding that there is nothing whatsoever that can be done about it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies