Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2020, 06:37 AM

30,069 posts, read 18,678,343 times

Advertisements

https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ge/3758415001/

The American Taliban strikes again!

Anyone who has ever been to Richmond is familiar with the statues of Confederate heroes along "Second Place Avenue". Those who survived the war face one way, and those who died face the other.

Removing HISTORY is idiocy. Remember when the Taliban was destroying historic icons along the old Silk Road? The world was aghast that barbarians would destroy relics that would be lost forever.

Fast forward to the US and we have the American Taliban doing the same. Banning books, "cancel culture" and tearing down statues is what totalitarians do, not free people who welcome open discourse.

Regardless of people's "feelings" toward the Confederacy, it is HISTORY which cannot be changed. Lee had a difficult decision- as an officer in the army, he had a choice of supporting his state or the federal government. He chose his state, as did many of those who served the Union. After the war, Lee was helpful in unifying the nation again.

People need to read a little about Lee before attacking his legacy and tearing down reminders of history.

What should be done with the statues? The best solution would be to move them to a Civil War battle site. If one goes to such sites (I have been to many), there are MANY such monuments there, both north and south. Interestingly, the sites of Confederate victories do not have many monuments relative to sites of Union victories.

Last edited by hawkeye2009; 10-28-2020 at 06:49 AM..

Old 10-28-2020, 06:53 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
https://www.azcentral.com/story/news...ge/3758415001/

The American Taliban strikes again!

Anyone who has ever been to Richmond is familiar with the statues of Confederate heroes along "Second Place Avenue". Those who survived the war face one way, and those who died face the other.

Removing HISTORY is idiocy. Remember when the Taliban was destroying historic icons along the old Silk Road? The world was aghast that barbarians would destroy relics that would be lost forever.

Fast forward to the US and we have the American Taliban doing the same. Banning books, "cancel culture" and tearing down statues is what totalitarians do, not free people who welcome open discourse.

Regardless of people's "feelings" toward the Confederacy, it is HISTORY which cannot be changed. Lee had a difficult decision- as an officer in the army, he had a choice of supporting his state or the federal government. He chose his state, as did many of those who served the Union. After the war, Lee was helpful in unifying the nation again.

People need to read a little about Lee before attacking his legacy and tearing down reminders of history.

What should be done with the statues? The best solution would be to move them to a Civil War battle site. If one goes to such sites (I have been to many), there are MANY such monuments there, both north and south. Interestingly, the sites of Confederate victories do not have many monuments relative to sites of Union victories.
I suppose you think the Saddam statue should have remained standing in Bagdad as well.....

Old 10-28-2020, 06:53 AM

5,985 posts, read 2,919,501 times
The confederacy lasted a grand total of five years. It is not anyone's heritage. Why are there statues in honor of it in the first place?

Old 10-28-2020, 06:55 AM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,615,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
The confederacy lasted a grand total of five years. It is not anyone's heritage. Why are there statues in honor of it in the first place?
Exactly, they were technically traitors. Though in the end, I think everyone (except African Americans sadly) would have been better off if we had just let the Confederacy secede

Old 10-28-2020, 06:58 AM

1,768 posts, read 568,288 times
Since HISTORY can’t be changed, you don’t need statues to prove something existed. Read a book about it. Or create an altar to Lee in your own backyard if you need to worship a physical object so badly.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:15 AM

17,005 posts, read 12,600,110 times
Richmond is 52% black. If the locals dont want it in their city and do it through legal means, I am not all that upset.

This does not include mobs removing them by force. It means LOCALS deciding what they want in their city then doing it through legal means.

Old 10-28-2020, 07:48 AM

14,834 posts, read 7,418,644 times
Confederate statues are through as public monuments in the town square. That doesn’t mean history is being erased.

The statues will be moved to history museums which is a more proper setting for them.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:22 AM

923 posts, read 527,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottomobeale View Post
Richmond is 52% black. If the locals dont want it in their city and do it through legal means, I am not all that upset.

This does not include mobs removing them by force. It means LOCALS deciding what they want in their city then doing it through legal means.
An intelligent answer.

I'm against taking them down as it doesn't bother me, it's a symbol of our past. Similar to someone sober carrying a beer bottle cap. It doesn't represent "worship", it represents our past and how we have progressed as a country.

We have a statue where the twin towers once were, should we get rid of that also? It could be a viewed as a symbol of immigrants that came to harm people. A radical view could be that it was because we let "others" into our nation and label all legal/illegal immigrants as haters of our country. Yes, that is radical AF...but I wouldn't put it past someone who would view it that way rather than a memorial of the lives lost. Same with Pearl Harbor.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:39 AM

73,032 posts, read 62,646,469 times
I'm glad that Robert E. Lee statue was removed. I hate Robert E. Lee. I hate Confederate generals.

Old 10-28-2020, 08:41 AM

923 posts, read 527,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmccormick71 View Post
Since HISTORY can’t be changed, you don’t need statues to prove something existed. Read a book about it. Or create an altar to Lee in your own backyard if you need to worship a physical object so badly.
People still read about our history, it could offend someone so we should eliminate all writing of the confederacy. People value books as well as statues.

So we "erase" our history of slavery, no more teaching of the subject. 100 yrs from now someone says, "Hey, these people wanting to get in our country should work for it! I'll provide food and shelter if they do as I say. I'll label them as slaves and it will be great for them to have food and shelter...since they want to be here anyway." And history repeats itself.

We all learn from out past mistakes. I have scars from someone putting out a cigar on my arm, doesn't mean I should cut off my arm. I've burned myself from lighting a fire, doesn't mean I'll never use heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies