Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 11:28 AM

12,722 posts, read 7,578,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Because a civil war could never happen in the U.S.?
I didn't say that.

I mocked the notion that USA is currently "heading toward a civil war" as the threadstarter claimed. Undergrad college students (the subject of the poll) are a very small percentage of the US population and tend to hold outsized views that they don't carry with them into adulthood. They also framed the survey question very poorly by using the term "to some degree" that leaves too much gray area to get a useful answer.

"64% agree that due to systemic racism and the wrongful targeting of Black Americans by police officers, the recent rioting and looting is justified to some degree"

Why did this pollster Jim McLaughlin word a question in this manner? Maybe because it's a targeted pollster who produces results for a reason, his bio says:

"During this past election cycle, he helped to elect President Donald J. Trump and McLaughlin & Associates helped win 5 of the 10 toughest congressional races in the country according to one respected publication. McLaughlin also helped to elect several other statewide GOP office holders that ranged from Governor, US Senate to Attorney General. McLaughlin & Associates has also been widely accredited for its accurate polling in predicting a Donald Trump victory."

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjshae View Post
Only the hard right is talking about a "civil war". Yawn.
They generate the overwhelming majority of the fear mongering in this forum.

Last edited by lieqiang; 10-31-2020 at 11:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 11:36 AM

1,434 posts, read 667,822 times
If they say it's justified it is because they are misinformed.
There was a time it probably was justified but we are beyond that now.
The story that cops hate black people is just not confirmed by real data.

Old 10-31-2020, 11:38 AM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGoodTheBadTheUgly View Post
Well, of course, they do! They believe what they have been taught by the liberal media and by liberal teachers. What else would anyone expect?

Old 10-31-2020, 11:54 AM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leona Valley View Post
Because a civil war could never happen in the U.S.?
It's highly unlikely; NONE of the proven, tested (generally defined as having experienced one hundred years or more of peaceful exchange of power between parties) democracies has either endured a civil war -- or taken up the sword against another member of the group. Advanced (and I DO mean capitalist) nations recognize the high cost of settling differences on the battlefield.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-31-2020 at 01:17 PM..

Old 10-31-2020, 11:59 AM

1,049 posts, read 654,190 times
I am more concerned about the mental and emotional state of some of the posters on this forum than I am about a Civil War or at least anything that resembles the 1860s.

Go to the front page and there are 3 posts talking about a Civil War. It is just as crazy as the subliminal messaging crowd was back in the day or when you have to destroy your microwave so the government can't hear your phone conversations.

Old 10-31-2020, 12:14 PM

6,927 posts, read 6,938,652 times
Quote:
They find the rioting and looting justified? COOL, but just remember many of us law abiding citizens own firearms—— Riot & loot at your own peril!

https://fee.org/articles/65-of-colle...ew-poll-finds/
This poll was conducted by McLaughlin & Associates which is so far to the right that they make Rasmussen look like a Marxist outfit. McLaughlin lists Trump as their number one associate, and the Republican party in each of the red states is not far behind.

Just more fear mongering by an increasingly desperate Republican party.

Old 10-31-2020, 01:04 PM

16,216 posts, read 11,338,692 times
There being only a small standing army at the time, and with the nation's borders de facto fortified by open seas, thinly-settled regions, and much slower transportation, the Civil War was fought between the militias of the individual states. This is not the case today, but it seems more plausible that a strongman (and I doubt that President Trump is interested) could seize power via a military coup and impose martial law. But fortunately, the military, which is a basically conservative institution, has a long history of restraint with regard to interference in civilian affairs,

It's a lot like the old story of a dog chasing a passing car; what could he do with it if he caught it?

The scenario of a foreign army (or even a partisan army from a much-different culture) occupying local territory is somewhat different -- and Americans of a century and a half ago got a firsthand lesson during Reconstruction, (It should also be recognized that the Jim Crow laws enacted at that time constituted a sop to defeated Southerners, and might have forestalled a "Redneck revolt").

So go back to your dreams of playing at revolution, Little Kampus Kiddies -- ain't gonna happen!

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 10-31-2020 at 01:34 PM..

Old 10-31-2020, 02:19 PM

16,083 posts, read 6,853,083 times
Quote:
They find the rioting and looting justified? COOL, but just remember many of us law abiding citizens own firearms—— Riot & loot at your own peril!

https://fee.org/articles/65-of-colle...ew-poll-finds/
Response: Opinion
Well I guess 65% will meet their maker when the run into that 393 million
world wide with Americans holding 46 percent of the world distributed 857 million firearms.

Don't tread on me.............
If you dare put your foot down on me I will strike.
Didn't need college to learn that.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:11 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,669,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antinimby View Post
This is the result of a whole generation brainwashed by the liberal Left.
Exactly. This is the generation of getting a trophy for participating, radical and left leaning professors who brainwashed children and parents who would go into debt rather than saying "no."

Old 10-31-2020, 03:30 PM

20,111 posts, read 9,023,728 times
I really don't care because the people who do that usually burn up their own areas. Stone stupid. Have fun!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies