Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-31-2020, 01:31 PM

14,489 posts, read 6,100,100 times

Advertisements

other emergency powers? Instead Trump seems to be the only one pushing for the idea that we still must have freedom and we cannot have a "new normal". Seems like the opposite of a "Fascist dictator"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2020, 03:47 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Well, I think that is an EXCELLENT point! (I didn't think of it, but I am surprised that hasn't been brought up before now.)

And that brings up another point, and that is why hasn't he used his powers to declare martial law in cities where the rioters loot and burn?

I think that Hitler, Stalin, Mussolini, et al, would consider Trump to be a weak and pathetic wimp.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:15 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
He tried to use martial law in Portland, but stopped due to push-back. He's busy right now trying to get the election invalidated any way he can to hold on to his office.

Why has nothing worked for him so far? Because all of us have a lot of norms. We all expect many things from our government, and most of those things are provided during times of stress.

No one really wants martial law; people tend to see it as a federal intrusion into a local matter, and always have.About the only place its accepted its in the District of Columbia. Try to initiate it out in the states, and any President soon finds themselves in trouble.

Citizens will accept local police/county police or state police far more than federal troops.

Old 10-31-2020, 04:27 PM

19,808 posts, read 9,367,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
He tried to use martial law in Portland, but stopped due to push-back. He's busy right now trying to get the election invalidated any way he can to hold on to his office.

Why has nothing worked for him so far? Because all of us have a lot of norms. We all expect many things from our government, and most of those things are provided during times of stress.

No one really wants martial law; people tend to see it as a federal intrusion into a local matter, and always have.About the only place its accepted its in the District of Columbia. Try to initiate it out in the states, and any President soon finds themselves in trouble.

Citizens will accept local police/county police or state police far more than federal troops.
You might be right, but I wonder how many small business owners will continue to put up with rioters and the possible loss or damage of their businesses if the state governor refuses to do anything?

Now maybe I am wrong about that because how long did the riots in Seattle and Portland last? Four months? Or are they still going on?

Last edited by katharsis; 10-31-2020 at 05:05 PM..

Old 10-31-2020, 05:52 PM

9,701 posts, read 5,115,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
other emergency powers? Instead Trump seems to be the only one pushing for the idea that we still must have freedom and we cannot have a "new normal". Seems like the opposite of a "Fascist dictator"
Such a freedom lover that he's calling for new election rules/restrictions that have NEVER applied to any previous election? Cutting off vote counts the day after the election has NEVER been a thing, and the only thing it's doing is disenfranchising 10Ks of voters. Are you saying that's not the move is a would-be autocrat? Bc that's something would-be autocrats have always done...

Old 10-31-2020, 05:57 PM

41,965 posts, read 75,217,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dashrendar4454 View Post
Trump's "new normal" apparently includes cutting off vote counts at 11:59 p.m. on November 3.

Election counts have never ended on Election Day. Apparently he's too stupid to understand how each individual state conducts its elections.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:08 PM

3,046 posts, read 2,385,092 times
Most right wingers and trumpers don't seem to have a problem with a fascist state, as long as Trump, and the GOP are at the head of it, as evidenced by his actions, and those that were prevented from ever becoming a reality, so i honestly don't see the point of this thread.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:11 PM

24,641 posts, read 9,464,279 times
Because that's what Biden plans to do

Old 10-31-2020, 08:15 PM

5,985 posts, read 2,918,690 times
He tried, but he had to be careful, given he had a re-election to think about. If he get a second term, we'll see a lot scarier things from him. Authoritarian behavior started with him attempting to control the media. The constant calls of 'fake news' and his incessant mocking of the media was an attempt to reduce trust in mainstream media, so that when he does shady things and its reported on, people don't take it seriously.

People are flying flags that have Trump's name on them instead of the American flag. That's a problem.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:22 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,376,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katharsis View Post
You might be right, but I wonder how many small business owners will continue to put up with rioters and the possible loss or damage of their businesses if the state governor refuses to do anything?

Now maybe I am wrong about that because how long did the riots in Seattle and Portland last? Four months? Or are they still going on?
I had a small business for 17 years and never once worried doubt the possibility of a riot here.

I don't think my hometown is exceptional in any way. We have demonstrations once in a while, especially in election years, but none of them have ever come close to becoming a riot.
There's never been a riot here that I can remember over anything.

So why worry about something that's very unlikely to happen? That's the way it is in most of our smaller towns and cities across the nation.
There are relatively few cities that have reputations for rioting, and they are mostly large cities. Portland is a particularly good example, as it has always been a town that was quick to fight over anything or any dispute.

So rioting is part of their city's tradition. The unusual part of that is Portland riots tend to become stubborn. Most riots only happen rarely, and almost always never last for more than 2-3 days. That's a similar length of time as a flood or some other natural or man-made catastrophe.

I had a riot clause in my business insurance that I eliminated to save me a little money. If I had my business in Portland, I would have paid more and left the clause in my insurance.

If a businessman doesn't have any insurance on his business, he's crazy. Even so, I'm sure there are always a few idiots who either can't afford the insurance or something. They take a huge risk in not having any, for sure.

When I look at long-term riots, such as those during the Civil Rights Movement, what I see is one big riot and a lot of fear others will be as bad afterwards, but very few ever are. There's a lot more fear of riot than actual riot.
If a business is damaged or destroyed, that's when their insurance gets used. Since there are always some businesses open in even the most riot-prone cities, rioting must be taken into account as part of the overhead, just like everything else.

I honestly don't know how all Governors react to riots. City mayors are most often the first officials to respond and are the most responsible for their response. Unless there's some political gain to be had, most Governors don't want to get in the middle of a local affair unless they get a request to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies