Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 09:43 AM

3,405 posts, read 2,741,967 times

Advertisements

TV news last night showed people out going house to house curing ballots for Biden.
Biden's "car" wasn't ahead at the end of the race in GA so we'll add some more laps to the event........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 09:56 AM

73,087 posts, read 62,726,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Wow, it's amazing what is happening in Georgia, and I (and other pundits I've heard) believe what happened to Stacy Abrams has propelled this record turnout.

Love it.
Many aren't paying attention to Georgia, until now. I knew it was going to become a battleground state right around 2012. When I saw what happened with Virginia, TWICE, I figured Georgia could be next.

Stacey Abrams embodies that change. Black American woman, born in Wisconsin, raised in Atlanta. She is part of that Reverse Great Migration. Blacks who moved to the South in the late 1970s to now. However, Blacks moving to the South were not moving to Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, or Arkansas. Blacks moving South were and are moving to Atlanta, Charlotte, Tidewater region of Virginia, Northern Virginia, Raleigh, etc. And then Blacks moving from other parts of the South (like Jackson, MS and Birmingham, AL) leave for the bigger southern metros like Atlanta and Nashville.

Georgia is the battleground state that has been in the making for years, but few have paid attention to.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:01 AM

26,211 posts, read 19,551,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Many aren't paying attention to Georgia, until now. I knew it was going to become a battleground state right around 2012. When I saw what happened with Virginia, TWICE, I figured Georgia could be next.

Stacey Abrams embodies that change. Black American woman, born in Wisconsin, raised in Atlanta. She is part of that Reverse Great Migration. Blacks who moved to the South in the late 1970s to now. However, Blacks moving to the South were not moving to Alabama, Louisiana, Mississippi, or Arkansas. Blacks moving South were and are moving to Atlanta, Charlotte, Tidewater region of Virginia, Northern Virginia, Raleigh, etc. And then Blacks moving from other parts of the South (like Jackson, MS and Birmingham, AL) leave for the bigger southern metros like Atlanta and Nashville.

Georgia is the battleground state that has been in the making for years, but few have paid attention to.
Few have paid attention to, until now. Now their profile has been raised to a new level with this election, and the whole world realizes that former Republican fortresses like Georgia can be breached and turned. You have a great take on the changing demographics/political winds of the south.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:04 AM

14,394 posts, read 11,278,142 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

In my district, McBath won a bigger victory this time around against Handel.

I didn't vote for McBath. I don't like her message (her ads were about gun control and healthcare, because she lost her son to gun violence and is a breast cancer survivor) nor do I think she's effective so far. But the problem isn't McBath, it's the Republicans running horrible candidates used to mailing it in. Handel was, to be candid, meh.

It's no different a thought process than the inner city Atlanta seats, except there the Democrats will always win no matter what. Republicans need a fresher message appealing to a bigger demographic.

As to Stacey Abrams, she's intelligent but I don't get the sense she's a hard worker and is somewhat directionless. She has a persistent and effective message, which will probably still carry over to the runoff in January, but then what? Biden will win, and likely win GA as well. GA is truly purple. OK, fine. She was hedging her bets and then actively pushing herself to be Biden's VP nomination. She was planning to run for the Senate, but then backed down. She had a ton of personal debt in 2018 which magically disappeared in 2019. She's also proven to be a sore loser given her 2018 result. Will she be nominated to a cabinet position? Will she run against Kemp in 2022?

But what really got Biden a win in GA this time around wasn't Stacey Abrams. Nor the black vote. It was the metro suburban white vote that did it, many who voted against Trump. Or at least it had to be, because wasn't the message that the black vote was being suppressed? And if it was due to the increase in the black vote, then we need to put Stacey and everyone else's complaints about voter suppression to bed.

Old 11-06-2020, 10:37 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,943,115 times
https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...lots-election/
Lot of votes were in the mail system and not processed timely

Old 11-06-2020, 10:39 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,700,897 times
Quote:
Georgia still potentially a Trump win.
Trump is still in it, but chances are starting to look like this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KX5jNnDMfxA

Last edited by Finn_Jarber; 11-06-2020 at 11:10 AM..

Old 11-06-2020, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

But what really got Biden a win in GA this time around wasn't Stacey Abrams. Nor the black vote. It was the metro suburban white vote that did it, many who voted against Trump. Or at least it had to be, because wasn't the message that the black vote was being suppressed? And if it was due to the increase in the black vote, then we need to put Stacey and everyone else's complaints about voter suppression to bed.
I think without more analysis about who voted how you can’t discount the voter turnout from Black areas because they can analyze precinct by precinct and know the population breakdown
Sure white suburbs were stronger for Biden and women certainly turned against Trump but don’t minimize the rise of the Black voter in a state where they have been suppressed and intimidated for generations...and those people stood in line for HOURS—
I didn’t have to do that in my TX area—white, middle class—in and out in less than 40 min—
WHY was it necessary to have lines that were HOURS long—to suppress the vote...

Younger Blacks have felt disempowered after seeing how their race has been gerrymandered to minimize their voting power...
More new voters were registered than in other elections from what I read
That is ground root working effort from volunteers putting in effort day after day

Old 11-06-2020, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

As to Stacey Abrams, she's intelligent but I don't get the sense she's a hard worker and is somewhat directionless. She has a persistent and effective message....
How can someone be persistant and make a effective message without being a hard worker and focused...

Where did Lindsay Graham get the 500K he says he will donate to Trump’s legal effort to fight the “fraud” Trump claims when he was begging for campaign contributions during the ACB hearings???

Old 11-06-2020, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think without more analysis about who voted how you can’t discount the voter turnout from Black areas because they can analyze precinct by precinct and know the population breakdown
Sure white suburbs were stronger for Biden and women certainly turned against Trump but don’t minimize the rise of the Black voter in a state where they have been suppressed and intimidated for generations...and those people stood in line for HOURS—
I didn’t have to do that in my TX area—white, middle class—in and out in less than 40 min—
WHY was it necessary to have lines that were HOURS long—to suppress the vote...

Younger Blacks have felt disempowered after seeing how their race has been gerrymandered to minimize their voting power...
More new voters were registered than in other elections from what I read
That is ground root working effort from volunteers putting in effort day after day
I live in North Fulton, so I’m in the county but away from Atlanta. My wife went to vote early but the line was around the block so she left. She then went to vote on Election Day and there wasn’t a big line.

Why did people wait in long early voting lines? Possibly because that was only when they could vote. But as I’ve read elsewhere, after the first few days of early voting there were much shorter lines, and voting on Tuesday was quite light in many areas.

So maybe there was no suppression, maybe it was just poor planning on the behalf of voters on when to vote. The news will cover what makes the news - long lines.

BTW, I was being somewhat facetious because in majority black DeKalb County the vote went more than 4:1 for Biden.

Old 11-06-2020, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
How can someone be persistant and make a effective message without being a hard worker and focused...

Where did Lindsay Graham get the 500K he says he will donate to Trump’s legal effort to fight the “fraud” Trump claims when he was begging for campaign contributions during the ACB hearings???
As I said, she’s intelligent. No question there. But there are people who help her with the message as well as getting it out. She also had the advantage of being Democratic flavor of the month so she got a lot of airtime and national attention. I can’t recall so much focus being placed on someone this cycle who wasn’t running for anything.

I could very well be wrong, maybe she is focused and a hard worker. But maybe she’s just an opportunist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies