Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2020, 12:00 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
I think without more analysis about who voted how you can’t discount the voter turnout from Black areas because they can analyze precinct by precinct and know the population breakdown
Sure white suburbs were stronger for Biden and women certainly turned against Trump but don’t minimize the rise of the Black voter in a state where they have been suppressed and intimidated for generations...and those people stood in line for HOURS—
I didn’t have to do that in my TX area—white, middle class—in and out in less than 40 min—
WHY was it necessary to have lines that were HOURS long—to suppress the vote...

Younger Blacks have felt disempowered after seeing how their race has been gerrymandered to minimize their voting power...
More new voters were registered than in other elections from what I read
That is ground root working effort from volunteers putting in effort day after day
Predominantly White suburban areas have certainly given Biden some of the vote. Cobb, Gwinnett, North Fulton, definitely played a role. The Black vote cannot be discounted either. Douglas, Henry, Clayton, Rockdale, Black populations have increased dramatically in those counties.

Douglas County was 77% White and 18% Black in 2000. By 2010, Blacks were around 40% of the county's population, while Whites were 50%. From 1980-2004, Douglas County supported Republican candidates. Obama won Douglas County in 2008, and Douglas County has been Democratic ever since.

Hilary Clinton won Henry County in 2016. It was the first time a Democrat won the county since 1980. Henry Co. was 81.4% White and 14.7% Black in 2000. In 2019, Henry County was 47% Black and 40% White.

Rockdale County was 76% White and 17% Black in 2000. In 2019, it was 58% Black and 37% White. Obama carried Rockdale in 2008 and 2012 (Rockdale County was 45% Black in 2010). Clinton won it in 2016. Before 2008, the last Democrat to carry Rockdale County was Georgia-born Jimmy Carter, in 1976.

Clayton County was 91% White in 1980. By 2000, it was 52% Black and 38% White. Democrats have won Clayton County in every election since 1992. Clayton County is currently 69% Black.

Metro Atlanta is big and has been changing over the last 25 years.

As for standing in line, the last time I voted in Georgia (I live in AL now), I didn't have to stand in line long. It was Paulding County. It was about 90% White in 2000. It is about 74% White as of 2018, when I voted for Stacey Abrams. I was in and out in 5 minutes. In more densely populated areas, I would imagine it would be more. And I also have to consider that when Brian Kemp was Secretary of State in Georgia, he closed down alot of polling stations, many in predominantly Black areas. I think this time around, many people were ready to do whatever it took, even with the Covid-19 pandemic going on.

Something else. As more mail-in votes got counted, Trump's lead went down dramatically. Those who couldn't make it to the polls mailed their votes in. And Clayton County, the bluest of Georgia's counties, had to county plenty of mail-in votes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2020, 12:26 PM

73,048 posts, read 62,657,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Few have paid attention to, until now. Now their profile has been raised to a new level with this election, and the whole world realizes that former Republican fortresses like Georgia can be breached and turned. You have a great take on the changing demographics/political winds of the south.
The Republican vote has been a factor in Georgia. Lately, the Republican vote has been getting less power.

2000 - 54.67
2004 - 57.97
2008 - 52.20
2012 - 53.30
2016 - 50.44

Trump won Georgia, but not by much. It wasn't a blowout like in 2004 with Bush. That voted has been getting slowly chipped away ever since. The demographic factor in Georgia has been creeping up for years. It was certainly noticed locally, but not nationally. Biden barely has Georgia, but now the Republican Party, on the local levels at least, will have to become more moderate, or risking a continual dwindling.

Old 11-06-2020, 12:29 PM

37,315 posts, read 59,903,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
As I said, she’s intelligent. No question there. But there are people who help her with the message as well as getting it out. She also had the advantage of being Democratic flavor of the month so she got a lot of airtime and national attention. I can’t recall so much focus being placed on someone this cycle who wasn’t running for anything.

I could very well be wrong, maybe she is focused and a hard worker. But maybe she’s just an opportunist.
Why can’t she be all of that?
Taking advantage of opportunities sounds pretty smart to me
Reagan did it when he prevented Carter from getting out the hostages in Iran
All politicians are opportunists—maybe all successful people are—because they can tell the right opportunity from a trap—

If Abrams used the spotlight on HER to also focus on registering voters, empowering the Black vote and showing people that doing something was better than complaining then more power to her
White votes alone were not enough to turn the tide on Trump
And Black voters did not come out for HRC like they did for Obama—
Whether that was intimidation (because it was there) or just dislike because of Bill’s hard core legal issues or whatever—the loss of those votes hurt

Frankly I hope she runs for governor again and turns the GA legislature around
I wish we had a Stacy Abrams in TX
We had one long time ago—Barbra Jordan—

Old 11-06-2020, 12:33 PM

5,938 posts, read 4,702,126 times
I guess a focused and influential women is a threat.

While a focused and influential man is a hero.

Go figure.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:42 PM

26,211 posts, read 19,535,610 times
Gwinnett County has around 4,500 ballots outstanding. These are supposed to be heavily in Biden's favor. However, there are 8,000 provisional ballots outstanding, and many of these are military ballots, which favor Trump. No one has any idea how many of these 8,000 provisional ballots will arrive, there won't be 8,000 arriving, and there won't be zero, it will be somewhere in between is all they know.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:45 PM

5,181 posts, read 3,097,864 times
Quote:
Gwinnett County has around 4,500 ballots outstanding. These are supposed to be heavily in Biden's favor. However, there are 8,000 provisional ballots outstanding, and many of these are military ballots, which favor Trump. No one has any idea how many of these 8,000 provisional ballots will arrive, there won't be 8,000 arriving, and there won't be zero, it will be somewhere in between is all they know.
I lived in Gwinnett county for twenty years, it is not heavily Democrat, 50/50 at best.

Old 11-06-2020, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
I live in North Fulton, so I’m in the county but away from Atlanta. My wife went to vote early but the line was around the block so she left. She then went to vote on Election Day and there wasn’t a big line.

Why did people wait in long early voting lines? Possibly because that was only when they could vote. But as I’ve read elsewhere, after the first few days of early voting there were much shorter lines, and voting on Tuesday was quite light in many areas.

So maybe there was no suppression, maybe it was just poor planning on the behalf of voters on when to vote. The news will cover what makes the news - long lines.

BTW, I was being somewhat facetious because in majority black DeKalb County the vote went more than 4:1 for Biden.
Re voting—
I haven’t researched the rules in GA
In Texas our governor (GOP Trump syncophant) said ONE drop off election boxes per COUNTY—
In Texas we have some counties as big as Rhode Island—we need MORE than one per county but Abbot in voter suppression move said NO—only one...and our Supreme Court allowed that
But we also had days of early voting in person with many locations available—a registered voter could go to ANY early voting site. So people could vote where they worked even if they were miles from their local precinct where you had to vote ON Election Day. We could do mail in ballots if we anticipated being out of the town or state or if we were over 65–and maybe something else.
We rarely had wait times....Harris County in Houston area allowed drive through voting locations (9) which were manned by election officials where people could show ID and drop off their mail ballots in person.
That was legal.
Harris County also had several 24/7 polling locations scattered around the county for people to use at odd hours so there would be few voters in line to make in person voting safer in CoVid times.

Our wonderful governor again said that masks were optional yet all workers had them and every person I saw voting did too...but they were not mandatory and voters couldn’t be refused entrance to a polling site if they refused to wear one...

I don’t know how many location the state of GA allowed in various areas for early voting—
Maybe people had to vote at their precinct and there were not enough machines to handle the crowds

From the last election in 2016 I read that voting locations were cut/combined especially in Black/minority areas....
I don’t know if that was still accurate for this one but I can only assume so when you saw lines like the media showed...

Voting by mail is the option several states have chosen w/o any significant fraud attributed to returns. Oregon is one and Colorado might be the other
You don’t hear the GOP claiming fraud in Colorado where Gardner won the Senate
Why not???

Old 11-06-2020, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
I lived in Gwinnett county for twenty years, it is not heavily Democrat, 50/50 at best.
Do you live there now?
Times change

Old 11-06-2020, 03:05 PM

Quote:
You are guessing when you say the military mailin ballots are for Trump
After some of the things Trump has said about the military I think any received might be 50/50

It would be interesting to know how many military ballots were returned overall this election vs 2016
And how the vote count compares

Old 11-06-2020, 03:07 PM

14,834 posts, read 7,420,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Didn’t used to be, also Cobb used to be Republican majority.

Both are now solid D.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies