Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2020, 09:12 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 14 days ago)

35,648 posts, read 18,006,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Sometimes people with a high fever become delirious. Was this the case here?

Dying people sometimes choose to fight their sickness by going into complete, and irrational denial. Maybe it's their way of refusing to give in to it. I have family members in the medical community. They have said sometimes terminally ill patients will demand to be released so they can go home "because there's nothing wrong with me."

For a nurse to disparage her dying patients like this on Twitter and CNN???? Maybe the woman should change her chosen profession.
Is she disparaging, or is she sad? Sounds to me like she's sad.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 09:18 AM

25,116 posts, read 16,235,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
Local guy, healthy, never smoked, age 62, believed Covid was a hoax.

He got infected. Covid destroyed his lungs. His lucky day. He received. a double lung transplant.

Those who deny Covid tend to compare infection rates to fatalities and in doing so, dismiss the potentially devastating tween part.
to truly "deny Covid" would mean you believed in zero deaths, or the "only Covid present" bs number.

Undoubtedly, there will be some short-term after-effects, and some long-term health issues. Some will be severe. But there's no quantification. And Covid is too novel to know if long-term is 66 months, a year, or the rest of your life.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:18 AM

8,169 posts, read 3,688,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
well, Jussie didn't claim to be a healthcare professional. Clearly, she has an inside look.

Where this nurse lives is 650 people. The hospital that folks are sent to is in Sioux Falls, 80 miles away.

In that region, COVID patients are < 1/2 of hospitalizations & ICU bed usage.

more than half the deaths are 80+ in all of SD. 76% are over 70 years old.

I can imagine some of the older people of SD may be very set in their ways (regarding social distancing). But I find claims of lots saying "fake, I don't have that" questionable
N. Dakota had the highest current Covid mortality rate of any state or any country in the world as of November 15 (based on the 7-day rolling average). S. Dakota was 3rd.

10 people per sq. mile - population density in both states

I'm not even going to go into case numbers and positivity rates

Old 11-17-2020, 09:44 AM

281 of 644 deaths in SD are in retirement homes. that's 44%. Another 32% are > 70 not in retirement homes.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:47 AM

8,169 posts, read 3,688,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoBromhal View Post
281 of 644 deaths in SD are in retirement homes. that's 44%. Another 32% are > 70 not in retirement homes.
And?

This has been the most vulnerable population everywhere.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:59 AM

yet we've done very little for them, in any state. Nursing homes/retirement centers - they're all state licensed, right?

I suppose the Feds could have made some claim about not reimbursing them for Medicare/Medicaid patients so long as there was an outbreak in their facility.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:08 AM

78,499 posts, read 60,679,264 times
A number of the elderly people dying from it have some form of mental impairment like dementia etc.

Given the nurses political views and statements I think that she's likely had a range of reactions and are sharing the worst ones and it could be coming from someone who isn't all there upstairs.

It's then being presented as that somehow this is a common thing with Trump supporters.

Overall, I think it's a bit shady but it's what so many people want for comfort food about how "awful, dumb, blah blah blah" the "opposition" is and of course the R's do it too.

Old 11-17-2020, 10:17 AM

37,952 posts, read 17,888,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
Quite facinating indeed that they all have the same last words before they die. Equally as intriguing is these dying patients all have iPhones and refuse to use the facetime app while uttering those same last words. Mind is blown.
Mind blowing is someone actually believes this has value even if it is true.

btw It's a low death rate state

Old 11-17-2020, 10:25 AM

78,499 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by serger View Post
N. Dakota had the highest current Covid mortality rate of any state or any country in the world as of November 15 (based on the 7-day rolling average). S. Dakota was 3rd.

10 people per sq. mile - population density in both states

I'm not even going to go into case numbers and positivity rates
Here is what most posters here being from non-rural areas and never having even lived in a rural area are missing.

Almost all of the hot spots in the low population parts of the midwest were.....meat packing plants.

Many of the employees are legal\illegal and live in crowded housing situations and do not have the option to stop working or work from home. Many of those households are multi-generational so when 4 people living in the house bring covid home from the meat plant it's grandma that dies. Other people in those households work in nursing homes and so on and so forth.

You're missing the point of population density. Just because there are sprawling fields for a hundred miles doesn't mean that the population isn't still gathered together. If there are only 3000 people in a county, there might only be one nursing home with 150 people in it...not 50 nursing homes with 3 people in each.

Or to put it another way, if we were to add 10,000 square miles of wheat fields to the outskirt of NYC proper and their population density fell...it doesn't mean they're suddenly not in close proximity to one another.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:46 AM

14,485 posts, read 11,295,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve McDonald View Post
And no matter how bad this disaster becomes, the hard-core Trumpists continue to come on here, confirming all the things that are being revealed about them. The black hole comparison is very valid to describe them. What a shame that their crazy behavior is exposing so many innocent people to the disease.

And I'm wondering right now, if this latest news about effective vaccines is borne out in the saving of many lives and reducing the contagion rate drastically, will some of them come up with a conspiracy theory about it? Will they claim that it causes dementia or other bad side-effects and refuse to take it? Will Trump be true to his character and on his way out, foster and promote such conspiracy claims?
On April 21 the fatality rate was 7.8%, today it is 0.9%. In addition, two vaccines with effective rates as high as 95% (Flu shot is 50% effective) are already being distributed.

Get a grip Stevie!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies