Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2020, 11:04 AM

1,199 posts, read 734,644 times

Advertisements

Any type of social media will cocoon you into an echo chamber of you are not cognizant of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2020, 11:07 AM

2,361 posts, read 1,752,787 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stizzel View Post
Any type of social media will cocoon you into an echo chamber of you are not cognizant of it.
A much more succinct way of saying what I was saying.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:08 AM

3,648 posts, read 3,784,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I don't have an account, but have a question.

Facebook uses your real name. So you're not the least bit "anonymous" - you have to take responsibility for what you post. I do see some people misspell their name, or go by a first and middle name, or create a fake profile, but by and large, you're "you" on facebook.

I have two friends who opened Parler accounts, and posted their account name on facebook - but the names were code names. Not their real names.

So there's the question. Do you use your real name on Parler or is it not that different from here, where you post anonymously?
You believe everone's name on Facebook is real? (They're not!)

Old 11-17-2020, 11:11 AM

193 posts, read 60,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
More real than on here. I’d say the vast majority of people who engage in posting and discussing on Facebook are using their real names. That means there are consequences for pissing off a lone extremist on Facebook...when they can see your name and where you work, they can do something about you.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:15 AM

2,445 posts, read 1,068,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATX Wahine View Post
Oh, now he’s just a “random CNN contributor? “

You are just darling.
Lmao

Old 11-17-2020, 11:21 AM

1,253 posts, read 502,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reubenray View Post
Why do they (Parler) want my phone number?

Also are there other discussions (not politics) on Parler?
To send you an authorization code. Ot ensures only the person with your phone can manage the account.

Yes, anything can be discussed on Parler. You just won't get censored on Parler, unless you threaten direct harm to someone.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:24 AM

18,461 posts, read 7,092,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by naicha View Post
To be fair, that is typically a Right quote. Military roots.

Not typically a Leftist mantra.

No kidding?

"I don't agree with what you say, but I will defend your right to say it" ... used to be an AMERICAN sentiment.

But that was before half the country decided that they didn't like America anymore and that the concept of free speech was passé.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:24 AM

9,881 posts, read 4,646,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Dawg New Tricks View Post
More real than on here. I’d say the vast majority of people who engage in posting and discussing on Facebook are using their real names. That means there are consequences for pissing off a lone extremist on Facebook...when they can see your name and where you work, they can do something about you.
Already been issues of doxxing and protestors going to Democrat homes as well.

Remember facebook created the best personal database the cia could ask for.

Old 11-17-2020, 11:30 AM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 8 days ago)

35,633 posts, read 17,968,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by branDcalf View Post
I know that.

But all MY friends have their real names. And you can search for people you know on Facebook, by their real names, and their profiles will pop up.

Typically, you use your name.

And so - on Parler, is it the same expectation?

Old 11-17-2020, 11:39 AM

9,434 posts, read 4,253,620 times
I wonder what their business model is?
Does anyone know how they plan to make a profit or even cover their operating costs?

Sell personal data? data mining tools? ad sales for banners?

Competitor sites can lose money because they are owned by larger companies and provide synergy and value add.
Does parler want to grow and then sell?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies