Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2020, 05:53 PM

37,108 posts, read 41,277,178 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Storm King View Post
The United States is having an explosion in cases this year with cases topping over 100k per day. Hospitals are being overran, and many states are running out of beds. Simply put, the virus is out of control. Now here is the issue for the Holiday season if people are determined to celebrate those Holidays with large families.
1) A massive increase in travel will expand the virus across the United States. As a result more states and areas will be infected.
2) Hospital beds are running out in many states, and the need to triage patients or deny treatment may be put into place.
3) Cold and flu season has started and will also spread along with the coronavirus. In 2019 alone, over 400k people were hospitalized from the flu. That means hundreds of thousands beds will not be available for COVID patients because they are treating people with the flu.
This is why the scientific community is warning people not to go out for the Holidays. It is to prevent the system from collapsing, not some deep state takeover.
The measures to mitigate COVID-19 will also prevent flu, if people will just use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by agnostic soldier View Post
You also run the risk of spreading the flu. If we're going to cancel holidays because of covid, then we have to do the same thing with influenza. While there are over 56 million cases of covid worldwide, there are one billion cases of flu every year.

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/heal...019-vs-the-flu

If people should cancel holidays and social gatherings because of covid then we should have been doing the same for decades because of the flu, especially because there are far more cases of the flu every year. The fact people only say this about covid when there are far more cases of other viruses says that it is just about fearmongering.
There would be fewer cases and deaths from flu if more people would take the vaccine. COVID-19 hospitalizations in the US have already exceeded typical flu numbers and the year is not over yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wartrace View Post
My family has agreed it isn't worth it this year. Mom is 87 years old and I fear someone might attend and pass on covid to her. Frankly I am not eager to get covid myself so staying away is probably the best option. We are having a "Zoom" Thanksgiving this year. BTW- not a fan of turkey meat anyways......
Try Cornish hens instead of turkey. That is what I will be doing. It will be just DH, one son, and me. The son works with us so he's in our bubble anyway. His wife and daughter are traveling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2020, 05:56 PM

5,745 posts, read 4,701,984 times
Quote:
The United States is having an explosion in cases this year with cases topping over 100k per day. Hospitals are being overran, and many states are running out of beds. Simply put, the virus is out of control. Now here is the issue for the Holiday season if people are determined to celebrate those Holidays with large families.
1) A massive increase in travel will expand the virus across the United States. As a result more states and areas will be infected.
2) Hospital beds are running out in many states, and the need to triage patients or deny treatment may be put into place.
3) Cold and flu season has started and will also spread along with the coronavirus. In 2019 alone, over 400k people were hospitalized from the flu. That means hundreds of thousands beds will not be available for COVID patients because they are treating people with the flu.
This is why the scientific community is warning people not to go out for the Holidays. It is to prevent the system from collapsing, not some deep state takeover.
An explosion you say?

Hmmmm. I wonder if there was any significant event two weeks ago that could have contributed to this explosion????

Old 11-19-2020, 06:12 PM

8,069 posts, read 12,784,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post

Try Cornish hens instead of turkey. That is what I will be doing. It will be just DH, one son, and me. The son works with us so he's in our bubble anyway. His wife and daughter are traveling.
I'm cooking a rib roast this year and sharing with my dogs Lucy & Hairyit. A bird doesn't "have" to be on the table for Thanksgiving.....

Old 11-19-2020, 08:30 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Speaking of Jesus(im not all that religious and don’t really believe this article, but it is weird):
https://www.benjaminlcorey.com/could...l-predictions/
The anti Christ, will most likely be from the Middle East, there are to many people who hate Trump to get the whole world to follow him, and we don’t know the day or hour and even Jesus Himself said only the Father knows.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:35 PM

9,500 posts, read 2,920,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HJ99 View Post
Good for you, that will get rid of grandma so you get her house.....

Old 11-19-2020, 08:35 PM

31,340 posts, read 14,270,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmyp25 View Post
Not changing plans. Flying to my Thanksgiving vacation Saturday. Leaving laptop and unplugging from this non-sense. Mountains, Fishing , Beer, and skiing awaits me . I will let you know if I survived.
How dare you Jimmy. Don't you follow the science???

Personally I am staying put, but I'm choosing to do that. Freedom should always be the default here - not an out of control government.

Old 11-19-2020, 08:58 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,651,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
How dare you Jimmy. Don't you follow the science???

Personally I am staying put, but I'm choosing to do that. Freedom should always be the default here - not an out of control government.
No government is out-of-control for trying to save the lives of its people. I'd say there are many things more important than the "freedom" to expose yourself and others to CoVid---it's more important to care about the welfare and well-being of your family especially the elderly and medically vulnerable. If you can celebrate Thanksgiving and Christmas at a farm or Lodge as someone on here wrote, great. But if you bring an extended family into a small apartment or house somewhere in a cold climate, I'd say the risk of the virus is too great. It says far more about the real spirit of thanksgiving and christmas to maybe forgo some celebrations, and save lives by doing so.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:27 PM

30,976 posts, read 21,641,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Did you miss the part about hospitals already being overrun? Let's see how well you like it when you need to go to the hospital for some other kind of emergency and at best, they stick you out in a hallway waiting 24-36 hours before a doctor sees you?
Right. It was a nightmare for a mother and her small child with covid while in the busy emergency room of a small town hospital as related here: https://www.stwnewspress.com/opinion...8916ac6a8.html

Old 11-19-2020, 09:36 PM

798 posts, read 503,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
Neither were ever worth wasting time or money on for me. This year will be great for me. I can say no without getting the pouting and whining from people.

Old 11-19-2020, 11:22 PM

6,829 posts, read 2,118,201 times
Quote:
I'm glad you're staying home. But I'm gonna give you a big middle finger, and still travel to see relatives and friends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies