Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2020, 06:27 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Conclusion: I'm saying right here that the media is lying again about how bad this pandemic is.
This is true. Bad news sells. There are dozens of stories that you will never see on CNN, like these;

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...d-of-covid-19-

https://www.aier.org/article/even-a-...zJW0dcSd6xuQfA

The bottom line is that the media decides what news will sell and that's what people consume. The media is in total control of our country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2020, 06:32 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,740,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
You may want to learn something about ICU beds and geography.
Very few people with the virus need ICU.

Old 11-22-2020, 06:55 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
I had to pull these numbers for another thread, but I think this deserves to be highlighted here.

82,100 people are currently in the hospital for Covid across the country.

US population is roughly 328,000,000

That's about 3/10ths of 1 percent of the entire population.

There are 3,898 hospitals in the country and 775,251 beds, roughly 200 beds per hospital.
https://www.ahd.com/state_statistics.html

About 21 people per hospital have Covid and about 10.5% of the beds are taken with Covid patients. Meanwhile hospitals have eliminated all kinds of elective surgery - they just are not doing them - freeing up beds. In fact many hospitals right now are struggling financially and have less patients than they otherwise would have.

Conclusion: I'm saying right here that the media is lying again about how bad this pandemic is.

According to an NPR analysis of data released by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) this week, more than 1,000 hospitals across the country have been identified as “critically” short on staff as they face a dramatic third wave of Covid-19 infections.

That amounts to about 18 percent of all hospitals that report to HHS. In all, 21 percent of hospitals, representing 40 states and Puerto Rico, expect their staffing needs to increase in coming days. Seven states report shortages in 30 percent or more of their hospitals. North Dakota — which has one of the most severe coronavirus outbreaks in the US — is the worst-hit, with 51 percent of hospitals reporting shortages.

https://www.vox.com/2020/11/21/21588...ff-overwhelmed

I've read there there was a study that said that only about 1 of every three hospital beds are normally unoccupied...and I'm sure that things have been modified to better deal with current conditions. Because hospitals are normally so close to capacity, I'm sure people are going to complain at any major increase in hospitalizations. Therefore, the media could both be telling the truth, while there not being a huge number of hospitals experiencing major problems. It is important to note, of course, that the thing about pandemics is that hospitalizations are capable of exponentially increasing if nothing is done to control those pandemics.

Nov 19 (Reuters) - The number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 in the United States has jumped nearly 50% in the last 14 days, straining the nation’s healthcare system and forcing states to impose new restrictions to curb the alarming spread of the coronavirus.
https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idINL1N2I51KR

Old 11-22-2020, 06:59 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,945,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
According to an NPR analysis of data released by the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) this week, more than 1,000 hospitals across the country have been identified as “critically” short on staff as they face a dramatic third wave of Covid-19 infections.

That amounts to about 18 percent of all hospitals that report to HHS. In all, 21 percent of hospitals, representing 40 states and Puerto Rico, expect their staffing needs to increase in coming days. Seven states report shortages in 30 percent or more of their hospitals. North Dakota — which has one of the most severe coronavirus outbreaks in the US — is the worst-hit, with 51 percent of hospitals reporting shortages.

https://www.vox.com/2020/11/21/21588...ff-overwhelmed

I've read there there was a study that said that only about 1 of every three hospital beds are normally unoccupied...and I'm sure that things have been modified to better deal with current conditions. Because hospitals are normally so close to capacity, I'm sure people are going to complain at any major increase in hospitalizations. Therefore, the media could both be telling the truth, while there not being a huge number of hospitals experiencing major problems. It is important to note, of course, that the thing about pandemics is that hospitalizations are capable of exponentially increasing if nothing is done to control those pandemics.

Nov 19 (Reuters) - The number of people hospitalized with COVID-19 in the United States has jumped nearly 50% in the last 14 days, straining the nation’s healthcare system and forcing states to impose new restrictions to curb the alarming spread of the coronavirus.
https://www.reuters.com/article/heal...-idINL1N2I51KR
Vox is all speculation. For those that need that pointed out.

In El Paso they were diverting patients in anticipation of needs ... not because they were currently overwhelmed. There's a difference.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:02 AM

8,196 posts, read 2,844,795 times
Try going up to a frantically busy, overwhelmed floor of the hospital when they aren't expecting you. You'll see how not busy they are.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:12 AM

18,466 posts, read 15,250,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Very few people with the virus need ICU.
On a percentage basis, yes, that is true. But if you are in an area that has a very high number of cases overall, your ICUs are going to be filled. When my hospital was hit back in march, I actually had to convert my recovery room and most of my operating rooms into ICU's, because all of our true ICU's were completely full.

But you are right in that if the ICUs are full, statistically, all the regular hospital floors will be full of people with subcritical COVID infections. COVID patients make up a lot more than just ICU patients.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:21 AM

5,671 posts, read 4,352,826 times
Quote:
I had to pull these numbers for another thread, but I think this deserves to be highlighted here.

There are 3,898 hospitals in the country and 775,251 beds, roughly 200 beds per hospital.

About 21 people per hospital have Covid and about 10.5% of the beds are taken with Covid patients. Meanwhile hospitals have eliminated all kinds of elective surgery - they just are not doing them - freeing up beds. In fact many hospitals right now are struggling financially and have less patients than they otherwise would have.

Only about 1 of every 3 U.S. hospital beds is empty on any given day, according to research from the Urban Institute, funded by the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation.

"All indications show if the curve is not flattened, hospitals across the country will not have the capacity to deal with the surge in hospitalizations associated with COVID-19," said study author Fredric Blavin, a principal research associate with the Urban Institute's Health Policy Center.

That may already be happening in New York City, the current epicenter of the U.S. COVID-19 epidemic. Many city hospitals are already overwhelmed, The New York Times reported Thursday.

At Elmhurst Hospital Center, a 545-bed public hospital, doctors and nurses have only a few dozen ventilators for their patients, some of whom have died while waiting for a bed. A refrigerated truck has been stationed outside the hospital to hold the dead, the newspaper reported.

That might happen anywhere in the country. According to Blavin's report, the United States had about 728,000 medical and surgical hospital beds available to the public in 2018, or 2.2 beds for every 1,000 people, Blavin and his colleagues found.

But only 36% of those beds were available on a typical day, leaving just 0.8 empty beds available per 1,000 people.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-...-pandemic.html

__________________________________________________ _______________________________
So if there are 328 million people...that would mean on average before the pandemic the U.S. could hold an additional, maybe 262,000 people. (that's 328 million divided by a thousand, multiplied by 0.8) so that 82 thousand is about a third of the way to that.

My source for that 82 thousand number looks similar to yours: https://ourworldindata.org/covid-hospitalizations

With those numbers, and the recent increase, I could understand both how there is a lot of concern, and how hospitals usually don't appear to be "flooding." What I've mostly seen has concerns about the near future.

I don't know how much more capacity hospitals have been modified to deal with though.

__________________________________________________ ______________________________

Old 11-22-2020, 07:21 AM

17,534 posts, read 39,131,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4dognight View Post
When the original "pandemic" was "raging", I had to be at the hospital with a relative. I was not allowed in. There were no less than 12 hospital workers, with scrubs on, as we tried to get in, telling us we couldn't go up to see her.
Outside the hospital, were about 8-10 nurses, laughing, relaxed and not overworked in the least, doing an interview for some such artwork.

They finally conceded that one could go up every hour or so for 15 minutes once she lie there alone dying and was near the end. I went up when it was in between time, walked down an empty hall saw nurses station packed with nurses, male and female, laughing and chatting. Not ONE was on the hall. Almost all the rooms were void of patients.

Not one hectic hospital worker.

The patient I was visiting died. She died with only one relative with her and at her last 15 minutes of life after she had lived 90+ years with loved ones.

This whole thing was a damned farce, an attack on America and Americans. It has been used to attempt to bring America down in every way. The mainstream media is complicit. Anyone denying it is complicit in supporting this attack or else ignorant as he**.

This "pandemic" was the perfect setup to shut down the economy, families, small business, churches, Americans way of life and now to create a scenario to corrupt and hack our election for President of the United States.

There will be no compassion, sympathy or empathy from these evil POS. They rejoice at American's misery.

One thing these evil bastards forgot. God trumps their evil.
It IS a farce! I personally know many nurses and health care workers here (Florida) and they all say the same They all say Covid is overblown and overreported so the hospitals get more money And lastly our governor knows it too, which is why he will never lock us down again - and NONE of our hospitals are at capacity or overwhelmed and ALL have the ability to expand if needed. Just soooooo much BS out there....

Old 11-22-2020, 07:22 AM

17,424 posts, read 14,642,907 times
I'm not denying that there are certain hospitals that are at capacity right now - we have two hospitals near me - and both are on bypass.

But the media reporting is intended to drive ratings and stoke fear.

When ordinary people hear that hospitals are full, most of the time, their knee jerk reaction is that they're full of covid patients. The truth is is that hospitals operate at an average of 75% occupancy overall.

Old 11-22-2020, 07:26 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:

I know Trump has instructed his minions to say the media is evil, but the media is not making it up. The situation is serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies