Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2020, 02:05 PM

16,755 posts, read 8,475,688 times

Advertisements

I remember when i had my first another girl had a baby as well and she was back to work answering emails after around 7 weeks. She was in a VP position making about 200k a year so I guess she felt pressure...but she didn't have to be doing that. So I kind of feel like some women ruin it for the ones who would like to take more time. They probably end up looking lazy compared to the female workers doing work before they return.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:06 PM

2,432 posts, read 3,001,824 times
You could also say that people shouldn't take vacations unless they've saved enough to cover their time off without pay, and yet, many places do pay people while they are sunbathing. Perhaps it's good for the company and the country to have employees who are happy and whose work and personal life are well-balanced.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:07 PM

16,755 posts, read 8,475,688 times
Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepie2000 View Post
You could also say that people shouldn't take vacations unless they've saved enough to cover their time off without pay, and yet, many places do pay people while they are sunbathing. Perhaps it's good for the company and the country to have employees who are happy and whose work and personal life are well-balanced.
well that's also a problem i suppose. Many people feel they CAN'T use all their vacation or they'll be looked at as a slacker.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:08 PM

15,591 posts, read 7,630,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by self-made View Post
Why should taxpayers, business owners and corporations pay for your childbearing decisions? It's your right to have children but don't pass the costs of that decision to me.
By the same token, you can stay the heck out of a woman's decision to terminate a pregnancy, it' snone of you business.

The main reason for providing maternity leave is so children start out right, with a mother at home, preferably breast feeding if that's possible. Your suggestion above means you don't feel like being part of a society that actually cares for other members of that society, rather, you prefer a dog eat dog world, where everyone's life but yours is short and brutal. It's as if you have no problem seeing dead people by the side of the road.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:13 PM

4,295 posts, read 2,780,182 times
Quote:
Why should taxpayers, business owners and corporations pay for your childbearing decisions? It's your right to have children but don't pass the costs of that decision to me.
I agree with this, but even if I didn't, then I would say paid leave should extend to ALL, including those undergoing chemotherapy and other things.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:18 PM

5,301 posts, read 5,265,582 times
Quote:
I'm ok w/ giving up to 12 week but that's it...otherwise I agree here...you chose to have a child...you didn't have to do that...why should my business allow you to be off where others have to pick up that slack, only to to let you come back after 6 months or whatever.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:21 PM

7,195 posts, read 5,746,342 times
There is no mandatory maternity leave in the USA. Some companies offer six weeks, some offer 12, etc, but many offer zero. Some moms can take some time off unpaid, some cannot because they will lose their jobs.

'Murica!

My husband and I had saved up so I could take 10 weeks off when my first baby was born. Unfortunately, I ended up on bedrest for four weeks before having him, so that meant I could only take off 6 weeks after he was born. I went back part-time for a few weeks and then had my regular hours (34 hours per week) by the time he was 10 weeks old. I was able to be a SAHM (thanks to the help of children's state health insurance and also WIC) by the time I got pregnant with my daughter, so that was nice.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
My employer has been 16 weeks for a long time and has extended paternity leave to 16 weeks now as well all fully paid. I have no problem with it, nerving having kids and 99% chance I won’t. It’s an overall positive for morale and attracting employees and I believe is better for society overall
If I was in your shoes, I'd demand 16 weeks paid time off too...why should someone get time off because they decided to have kids...where you can't have them. As a gay man, I obviously will never have kids...but if my coworkers were given 16 weeks paid time off because they had them, then I would feel totally discriminated against.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eeko156 View Post
I agree with this, but even if I didn't, then I would say paid leave should extend to ALL, including those undergoing chemotherapy and other things.
Just offer paid time off...used for whatever. Treat everyone the same.

Old 11-24-2020, 02:29 PM

3,812 posts, read 4,713,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msRB311 View Post

It's kind of unfair that some people dont NEED to go back to work if they have a highly paid spouse, but it is what it is.

thoughts?
How is it fair that people who choose to never have children never get some time off similar? Why is having a child a special right to get 6 months off? What if I would like to spend the last 6 months of a dying parents life living with them 2 states over so they can have somebody by their side?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies