Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2008, 10:13 AM

4 posts, read 8,531 times

Advertisements

Yeah, but the Democrat was anti-amnesty, pro second amendment, and prol-life. Not your typical Democrat in todays world. Other then that I read on a few forums that the Republican running for the seat was considered corrupt ...

I've always voted Democrat, but I do not plan to this time. I am totally disillusioned about their ability to actually get anything done. Democrats are education advocates, we spend a tremendous amount on k-12 schools and fail ([SIZE=2][SIZE=2]National Center for Education Statistics 2003/04 school year $8310 average per student/per year) [/SIZE][/SIZE] we spend quite a bit on minority programs, the blacks are doing worse in more ways then not. Is all we hear is that these need more funding, it seems to me that if we can't provide an excellent education on $8310 per year, when private education is on average about half that, then its not effective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Closer to home, the Democrats just took a long time, 30 year, Republican Congressional seat in Louisiana in a special election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2008, 10:21 AM

1,242 posts, read 2,460,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkm370 View Post
in europe conservative is liberal and liberal is conservative, ps labour isnt liberal, theres a 3rd party called liberal democrats that lost
You're thinking of Australia. Most European countries follow the same format for liberal and conservative that we do.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:52 AM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetclimber View Post
I am very happy that the British have woken up!!! I guess they got tired of being overrun by terrorist suspects, crime, useless social programs and sexual degenerates. Now hopefully, the US will follow suit!
Even the Conservative party in the UK favors "useless social programs". The average Conservative in the UK is closer to John McCain or Joe Lieberman than Ronald Reagan. Margaret Thatcher was a bit of an abberation.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:14 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
in case you haven't watched the BBC lately the newly elected Mayor is a lunatic ex talk show host who lied about an affair as a publicity stunt and said he was fit for office because he's been sober for 3 months. Think more of Jerry Springer instead. By the way Conservatives in the UK would be middle of the road here except for the Thatcher types on defense.
Conservative are always some lunituic to liberals. But then now days even another liberal is evil;witness clinton verus obama.But I agree that the democratic primary has all the characteristics of the jerry spring show. Hillary;Bill;Obama and wright.

Old 05-05-2008, 11:31 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnulus View Post
Even the Conservative party in the UK favors "useless social programs". The average Conservative in the UK is closer to John McCain or Joe Lieberman than Ronald Reagan. Margaret Thatcher was a bit of an abberation.
Actualy I's say European Conservatives are much closer to the political philosophy of Bill Clinton -- fiscal conservative, social liberal, moderate military philosophy, and not preoccupied with everyone else's sex life.

Old 05-05-2008, 10:54 PM

1,573 posts, read 4,063,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlchurch View Post
Actualy I's say European Conservatives are much closer to the political philosophy of Bill Clinton -- fiscal conservative, social liberal, moderate military philosophy, and not preoccupied with everyone else's sex life.
Bill Clinton would be a Conservative MP in Britain for sure now days, that or a "New Labor" type. McCain or Lieberman would be close except for their strong support of military intervention in Iraq. Conservatives weren't always doves, though. They supported the Falklands war which was a war of dubious merit, sort of like Grenada for the US. Sort of a last hurrah for the British empire.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:29 AM

4,826 posts, read 14,311,771 times
Are you saying that the people of the Falklands and Grenada should have been allowed to be conquered by governments they didn't choose? Just think of the millions who would have lived had France and England stopped Hitler when he invaded the Sudetenland.

Those who fail to understand history are condemning us to new holocausts and just don't think its radical Muslems at the wrong end of the gun.

Old 05-06-2008, 05:44 AM

5,922 posts, read 8,065,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wema View Post
Yeah, but the Democrat was anti-amnesty, pro second amendment, and prol-life. Not your typical Democrat in todays world. Other then that I read on a few forums that the Republican running for the seat was considered corrupt ...
The Democratic Party isn't as doctrinaire as the Republicans. Most importantly this will be a Democratic Caucus vote extending the party's lead in Congress.

Old 05-06-2008, 06:04 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,022,184 times
Conservative policies have had reign in the USA since the late 1970s- I find it rather amusing that considering the current problems we have will likely linger far longer then many suspect- especially from what the Wall Street fascists and Ben 'helicopter' Bernanke try to tell us.

Remember this also- Great Britain has had nationalized health care since 1946- 'conservative' here and there are two entirely different animals.

The conservatives in the USA over the last 30 years have acomplished the following;

1. redistributed wealth from the poor and middle class to the upper 5-10%, corporations and CEOs.

2. The rate of pay for the average worker to a CEO has increased to the point where a CEO makes in one day what an average worker makes in over a year.

3. Pension benefits have been eliminated and shifted to risky 401 stock and mutual plans

4. Job security is practically non existent compared to even 20 years ago..

5. Health care costs have soared- producing nearly 50 million Americans without health care access that is affordable- and another 50 million with inadequate insurance.

It seems that many Americans have had it up to their chins with what the conervatives have done- shift the wealth and economic security to the rich and corporations.

Perhaps that is why either Democrat holds a large lead over Mc Cain.

The GOP always has represented the privileged class- and their policies over the past 30 years have become impossible for many Americans to bear. Reform is needed- and Progressives have always come to the forefront when the masses become unhappy. What the corporations and conservatives have accomplished are making Karl Marx smile in is grave.

Last edited by skytrekker; 05-06-2008 at 06:26 AM..

Old 05-06-2008, 07:53 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,216,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skytrekker View Post
Conservative policies have had reign in the USA since the late 1970s- I find it rather amusing that considering the current problems we have will likely linger far longer then many suspect- especially from what the Wall Street fascists and Ben 'helicopter' Bernanke try to tell us.

Remember this also- Great Britain has had nationalized health care since 1946- 'conservative' here and there are two entirely different animals.

The conservatives in the USA over the last 30 years have acomplished the following;

1. redistributed wealth from the poor and middle class to the upper 5-10%, corporations and CEOs.

2. The rate of pay for the average worker to a CEO has increased to the point where a CEO makes in one day what an average worker makes in over a year.

3. Pension benefits have been eliminated and shifted to risky 401 stock and mutual plans

4. Job security is practically non existent compared to even 20 years ago..

5. Health care costs have soared- producing nearly 50 million Americans without health care access that is affordable- and another 50 million with inadequate insurance.

It seems that many Americans have had it up to their chins with what the conervatives have done- shift the wealth and economic security to the rich and corporations.

Perhaps that is why either Democrat holds a large lead over Mc Cain.

The GOP always has represented the privileged class- and their policies over the past 30 years have become impossible for many Americans to bear. Reform is needed- and Progressives have always come to the forefront when the masses become unhappy. What the corporations and conservatives have accomplished are making Karl Marx smile in is grave.
Interesting summary Sky, and I suspect that many of these sentiments will be among the talking points of the eventual Democratic nominee.

The concentration of wealth among fewer folks will probably resonate fairly well, but I don't know that the pension issue will get much traction, beyond the argument to continue Social Security as currently structured (kind of a smaller version of the old "defined benefit" pension plans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies