Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Republicans get behind Trump on a 2024 run?
Yes they will support him 32 36.36%
No they are done with Trump 12 13.64%
Mostly the radical factions of the party will support him 29 32.95%
They will choose a different less controversial candidate 15 17.05%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 10:27 AM

12,964 posts, read 13,694,677 times

Advertisements

The GOP will only need Trump to stump around to the confederate states, county fairs, farm shows, bass tournaments, NASCAR and Rodeo's to help local candidates. It will give him his fix for rallies and keep him out of sight in the national spotlight.. If he has to spend his own money he certainly won't be running. He wasted over a billion dollars. Trump burned through campaign money on useless things like campaign merchandise and thousands of dollars spent on his own son's books to give to donors. I can't see the big donors giving the GOP any more money without a guarantee that Trump won't run.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 10:37 AM

298 posts, read 117,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeAZguy View Post
uneducated idiots
Quote:
Originally Posted by RowingFiend View Post
I don't think any self-styled "conservative" who voted for a Biden/Harris ticket should be calling anyone else an uneducated idiot.

Such a person should read the Democrat platform and educate herself as to what she just voted for. Once she does that, she should repent or never call herself a conservative again.
Case in point.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:43 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,695,011 times
Quote:
Will Republicans get behind Trump on a 2024 run?
Surely they are smarter than that.

Or........are they?

I don't think Trump will run again. He will never recover from the humiliation of losing to a guy he described as weak and demented.

Old 11-29-2020, 10:47 AM

6,262 posts, read 3,424,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hesychios View Post
Will Republicans get behind Trump on a 2024 run?

How could they?

Convicted felons will not be eligible to run. The party needs to look to the next generation of leadership, Trump is history and not a viable future candidate.

Could lend me you crystal ball...I need it to pick a few stocks.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:00 AM

19,573 posts, read 8,535,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
I disagree. The republican party is largely conservative and would not elect Trump as their candidate. They're tired of a liberal candidate running on the republican ticket.
Republican voters, not to be confused with the Republican party, are first and foremost American patriots who believe in and support our nation as a unique country founded on the ideals of the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. Republican voters support and defend our constitution, certainly and especially including the bill of rights.

Trump is not a doctrinaire conservative in all matters, but then neither was George W. Bush, and neither is any other Republican leader who might plausibly ever be nominated by the party as their presidential candidate. Clearly neither the Republican party or Republican voters are nearly as obsessed with being "conservative" as an end-all, be-all as you apparently are.

The political parties exist for the purpose of accumulating political power. That is it. As a result, they change over time. They are not consistently aligned with a fixed set of principles, aside for their focus on the accumulation of political power.

Your fixation on the Republican party as being rigidly "conservative" is misguided and wrong. It suggests an incorrect understanding of what political parties actually are and the role that they fulfill in any society, certainly including our own.

I am a conservative. But before that, I am an American, and right now the issue is whether our nation will continue to survive in any sort of traditionally identifiable sense, not how rigidly conservative the next nominee for the Republican party ought to be.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:56 AM

57,378 posts, read 26,285,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
Bush was a horrendous President in almost every respect including his major contribution to the severe recession, but Clinton also pushed the policies that led to the crash. As did Obama in the Senate.
Bush pushed the polices that led to the 2009 crash, wasn't Bush president from 2002 to 2009 and republicans controlled the senate from 2003 to 2006, Clinton was long gone.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:11 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,405,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Depends on a lot of factors.

If Biden screws things up - and make no mistake - he might - Trump could run again in '24 and would beat him.
I doubt Trump would make it out of the primaries.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:12 PM

2,021 posts, read 3,529,204 times
I'd rather see the party choose a different candidate. I most likely won't vote for Trump in the primaries, but if he wins the nomination I'll probably hold my nose and vote for him Nov. 2024.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:14 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,934,256 times
Where's the wait and see the pulse of the nation at that point? I can't comment but I hope Trump is out.

Old 11-29-2020, 12:16 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,827,345 times
If he gets the nomination, yes, but I wouldn't be surprised if a "true believer" like Ted Cruz, Rick Santorum, or Mike Huckabee gives him a run for his money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies