Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2020, 08:20 PM

2,852 posts, read 6,485,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bawac34618 View Post
I was initially leaning against it but at this point, I'm so tired of how things are right now I'm going to get it. Side effects couldn't possibly be worse than the current reality we are living. If people reject the vaccine, normal never comes back.
Yes, the side effects could be far worse than the current reality we are living. If I could turn back time I would refuse the "completely safe" prescription that my doctor used fear mongering to convince me to take. I would not have lost five years of my life being unable to walk. I would not now be suffering chronic, crippling pain, damaged nerve sheathes, traumatic brain injury that mimics Alzheimer's, chronic insomnia, a damaged immune system, cysts on my liver, weakened kidneys, no balance, still difficulty walking, inability to wear shoes for longer than 15 minutes, the inability to wear pants or leggings comfortably for more than an hour, and the list goes on... from one small, "safe" pill.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2020, 08:25 PM

18,739 posts, read 7,610,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Obviously there are anti-vaxxers who will not get the vaccine no matter what,
So what? It's their choice. They are not a threat, to anyone but themselves. If that's what they want to be, again it's their choice.

Old 11-29-2020, 09:35 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,537,016 times
I'm gonna wait for the "you take it first and let me know what happens approach" before i make my decision. hopefully after the 1st wave of millions who have taken it.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:18 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
This was tried to a lesser extent back during the 2009 Flu Pandemic. Stores were offering incentives to get flu shots. Publix was on their PA (constantly) saying get your flu shot and get your free Thanksgiving Turkey.

CVS had the cashiers asking customers if they had gotten their flu shots so they would get a $10 discount card for future purchase. Did the cashiers get an incentive for the number of shots they sold too?

It was very annoying. The stores got a lot of complaints from customers, especially CVS. Did it work? Maybe free turkeys and $10 was not enough of an incentive to get a flu shot? I would imagine the incentive would have to be a lot greater for a COVID vaccination.

Old 11-30-2020, 04:56 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
This was tried to a lesser extent back during the 2009 Flu Pandemic. Stores were offering incentives to get flu shots. Publix was on their PA (constantly) saying get your flu shot and get your free Thanksgiving Turkey.

CVS had the cashiers asking customers if they had gotten their flu shots so they would get a $10 discount card for future purchase. Did the cashiers get an incentive for the number of shots they sold too?

It was very annoying. The stores got a lot of complaints from customers, especially CVS. Did it work? Maybe free turkeys and $10 was not enough of an incentive to get a flu shot? I would imagine the incentive would have to be a lot greater for a COVID vaccination.
DH and I each got $10 gift cards with our flu shots at Publix this year. Cool, since we would have gotten them even without the cards.

Why does it annoy you so much when other people get vaccines? What harm does it do you?

How do you know the stores "got a lot of complaints from customers"?

Old 11-30-2020, 05:19 AM

10,234 posts, read 6,319,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
DH and I each got $10 gift cards with our flu shots at Publix this year. Cool, since we would have gotten them even without the cards.

Why does it annoy you so much when other people get vaccines? What harm does it do you?

How do you know the stores "got a lot of complaints from customers"?
Talked to Publix Manager who said people complained and why it was stopped. When you go grocery shopping, you don't want to keep hearing about flu shots every 5 minutes. Put up a sign and leave it at that. Thankfully they did that in the future.

You can do a Google search on CVS. Difference was that you specifically wanted a shot. I went to CVS to get a birthday card. When I went to pay for my card and told the cashier I did not want my flu shot, she should have just left it at that. No, means NO. Pay for my card, and leave. Don't want to stand there discussing it with some cashier. Understand? Bad customer service besides. This is why I questioned if the cashiers were getting their own incentives.

Hopefully, this won't be done with the COVID vaccination. Get your own vaccination but leave the rest of us alone. No, means NO.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:30 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:

Younger kids can have no symptoms and still possibly spread it, to teachers and other school personnel, not just other kids.
It hasn’t been tested on any kids younger then 12 and only a small number of kids 12 and up so you can’t expect many parents being willing to use their kids as guinea pigs, especially when their kids aren’t really at much risk at all from covid anyway. People at risk can get vaccinated. About 50% of people want the vaccine. That should be enough.

People have stepped up and done a lot already to protect those who are high risk. It’s time for that high risk group to take care of themselves and stop expecting everyone else to set themselves on fire for them.

Last edited by MissTerri; 11-30-2020 at 07:41 AM..

Old 11-30-2020, 07:43 AM

37,105 posts, read 41,267,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissTerri View Post
It hasn’t been tested on any kids younger then 12 and only a small number of kids 12 and up so you can’t expect many parents being willing to use their kids as guinea pigs, especially when their kids aren’t really at much risk at all from covid anyway. People at risk can get vaccinated. About 50% of people want the vaccine. That should be enough.

People have stepped up and done a lot already to protect those who are high risk. It’s time for that high risk group to take care of themselves and stop expecting everyone else to set themselves on fire for them.
https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-infor...h-and-children

"Most drugs prescribed for children have not been tested in children. Before the Food and Drug Administration initiated a pediatric program, only about 20 percent of drugs approved by the FDA were labeled for pediatric use. By necessity, doctors have routinely given drugs to children 'off label,' which means the drug has not been approved for use in children based on the demonstration of safety and efficacy in adequate, well-controlled clinical trials."

https://www.aappublications.org/news...netrials111720

"The AAP [American Academy of Pediatrics] is calling for manufacturers to include children in their COVID-19 vaccine trials and for federal officials to use a rigorous scientific process for reviewing vaccines.

“'If we do not add children to these research trials very soon, there will be a significant delay in when children are able to access potentially life-saving vaccines. This is unconscionable,' AAP President Sara 'Sally' H. Goza, M.D., FAAP, said in a news release. 'More than 1 million children have been infected with this virus since the beginning of the pandemic, and children have suffered in numerous other ways. This includes disruptions to their education, harms to their mental and emotional health, and greatly diminished access to critical medical services. It is unjust to allow them to take on these burdens, but not give them the opportunity to benefit from a vaccine.'”

I believe you have been very vocal about the effect of the epidemic on children with regard to education and mental health. Shouldn't you want to do what is necessary to get kids back to a semblance of normal as quickly as possible?

Asking "the high risk group to take care of themselves" does not solve the problem. There are too many of them, including all of the people involved in care of COVID-19 patients.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:01 AM

26,660 posts, read 13,746,362 times
Quote:
https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drug-infor...h-and-children

"Most drugs prescribed for children have not been tested in children. Before the Food and Drug Administration initiated a pediatric program, only about 20 percent of drugs approved by the FDA were labeled for pediatric use. By necessity, doctors have routinely given drugs to children 'off label,' which means the drug has not been approved for use in children based on the demonstration of safety and efficacy in adequate, well-controlled clinical trials."

https://www.aappublications.org/news...netrials111720

"The AAP [American Academy of Pediatrics] is calling for manufacturers to include children in their COVID-19 vaccine trials and for federal officials to use a rigorous scientific process for reviewing vaccines.

“'If we do not add children to these research trials very soon, there will be a significant delay in when children are able to access potentially life-saving vaccines. This is unconscionable,' AAP President Sara 'Sally' H. Goza, M.D., FAAP, said in a news release. 'More than 1 million children have been infected with this virus since the beginning of the pandemic, and children have suffered in numerous other ways. This includes disruptions to their education, harms to their mental and emotional health, and greatly diminished access to critical medical services. It is unjust to allow them to take on these burdens, but not give them the opportunity to benefit from a vaccine.'”

I believe you have been very vocal about the effect of the epidemic on children with regard to education and mental health. Shouldn't you want to do what is necessary to get kids back to a semblance of normal as quickly as possible?

Asking "the high risk group to take care of themselves" does not solve the problem. There are too many of them, including all of the people involved in care of COVID-19 patients.
I’m not interested in getting a vaccine for my kids “off label”. Just because they do this for other drugs does not mean I agree with it. It has not been tested at all on any kids under the age of 12 and even in kids 12 and up, only a small number.

Kids should be back in school already. What schools that have opened up have found is that Covid is not spreading in the classroom among students and staff. We do not need a vaccine in order to reopen.

Worry about yourself and stop asking everyone else to give up everything including income and their education to protect you. Your view on what is necessary is not the same as what others views as necessary. I’d appreciate it if you would not try to shove your views down other people’s throats, or via a needle into their arm.

If people want to offer up a financial incentive for people to get the vaccine, feel free. I think it’s better then trying to take away their ability to attend school or be able to work. It should be 100% voluntary.

Last edited by MissTerri; 11-30-2020 at 08:12 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies