Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2020, 07:31 AM

2,409 posts, read 1,528,388 times

Advertisements

New Flash

In 2021, college costs will continue to increase. Politicians will state that "We need to do something about college costs". Same politicians will do nothing.

In 2021, illegals sneaking into our country will increase. Politicians will state that " we need to do something about illegal/undocumented"(depends on which party is making that statement). Same politicians will do nothing.

In 2021, medical care costs will continue to increase. Politicians will state that "We need to do something about rising medical care costs". Same politicians will do nothing.

In 2021, ..........................

Rinse
Lather
Repeat
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2020, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedirtypirate View Post
Some of those comments are hilarious considering the BILLIONS her rat family has made off of funneling PUBLIC money to her companies. The very definition of a rat.

https://www.americanprogress.org/iss...e-betsy-devos/
This is as alarming as the son of the vice president making bank by being paid by foreign interests while his daddy makes decisions that financially impact those nations.

Swampers gonna swamp.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:36 AM

6,343 posts, read 2,895,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post

“Institutions must also take a long look in the mirror,” DeVos said. “The higher education industry needs to deliver products that are worth the price tag.”
Exactly. She was Trump's best appointee. She did an awesome job, especially with the reform of Title IX. She did such a good job that it will be impossible for Biden to undo with with a simple signature.

Quote:
I am a progressive Democrat and enthusiastic supporter of the new Title IX Rule that was recently issued by Education Secretary Betsy DeVos...

The DeVos Rule provides colleges and universities with a detailed and uniform modus operandi on how they must handle gender discrimination, sexual harassment, and sexual assault disputes. The new regulations emphasize fairness, equitability, due process protections, and extensive supportive measures for all parties, all of which have been missing from the rescinded Obama-era guidance that the new Rule supersedes.

https://www.realcleareducation.com/a...rm_110432.html

Old 12-02-2020, 07:42 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,804,457 times
Quote:
So if the new person comes in and promotes “free college for all” you’re ok with paying for that?

I have 2 kids, one of whom will be starting college in Biden’s final year of office, and I don’t support free college or loan forgiveness despite being able to benefit from it.
You don't but a lot of people do.

I think we have to be practical and look at the bigger picture. Do some studies. How many college grads are living with their parents because their student loan payments make an apartment or house prohibitive? What would be the impact on the economy if those young adults were able to use that money for rent, a mortgage, a card or recreation?

A lot of people want to make it punitive- well my kids and I didn't get this option so no one else should either. I think it's worth further study.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:53 AM

2,941 posts, read 1,784,364 times
"What do you call a billionaire who registered a $40 million, 164-foot yacht in the Cayman Islands to avoid $2.4 million in U.S. taxes, while undermining public schools? The worst Education Secretary in the history of America."

Sen. Bernie Sanders late Tuesday called Betsy DeVos "the worst education secretary in the history of America" and made abundantly clear that he's not mourning her imminent departure after the billionaire school privatization zealot lashed out at popular proposals to cancel student loan debt and make public colleges and universities tuition-free.

"Because we were all just dying to know what the unqualified billionaire who made this problem worse thinks about helping people." —Sen. Elizabeth Warren

Old 12-02-2020, 07:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
I think we have to be practical and look at the bigger picture. Do some studies. How many college grads are living with their parents because their student loan payments make an apartment or house prohibitive? What would be the impact on the economy if those young adults were able to use that money for rent, a mortgage, a card or recreation?
Just make the colleges lower tuition costs. The cost should be in line with the value. Too many college grads dilutes the academic field. Cost/tuition should reflect that. Degrees with greater earning potential should cost more. Low paying fields should be charged less tuition.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post

"Because we were all just dying to know what the unqualified billionaire who made this problem worse thinks about helping people." —Sen. Elizabeth Warren
I could be wrong but I think paying someone $430,000.00 to teach a class makes the problem a lot worse.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:05 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,731,596 times
Quote:
So if the new person comes in and promotes “free college for all” you’re ok with paying for that?

I have 2 kids, one of whom will be starting college in Biden’s final year of office, and I don’t support free college or loan forgiveness despite being able to benefit from it.
New person coming in does not have authority to do “ free college for all”

POTUS has no authority to do “ free college for all” .

Congress is the only body with such authority.

Congress made sure to take care of federal, state, county, local government and most 501c3 Corp employees in 2007, when it created the Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program which forgives outstanding balances after 120 payments. General tax revenues are used to fund it.

Old 12-02-2020, 10:49 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,088,442 times
Quote:

Nothing is ever free and for a student who is coming from economic hardship there are programs already out there. Harvard can be free tuition based on your background of course you have to study and have the grades to earn it. Many options exist and college is not meant for everyone even if that's their desire as for any proposal of "free college" i'll wait and see what the actual recommendation is.

Right now everything is fear mongering and accusations lets wait and see what if anything actually gets proposed. It's nice for someone to say I would want to ...but the follow through will need to happen...

Last edited by VA Yankee; 12-02-2020 at 11:04 AM..

Old 12-02-2020, 11:40 AM

29,470 posts, read 14,643,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poseidon3290 View Post
"What do you call a billionaire who registered a $40 million, 164-foot yacht in the Cayman Islands to avoid $2.4 million in U.S. taxes, while undermining public schools? The worst Education Secretary in the history of America."

Sen. Bernie Sanders late Tuesday called Betsy DeVos "the worst education secretary in the history of America" and made abundantly clear that he's not mourning her imminent departure after the billionaire school privatization zealot lashed out at popular proposals to cancel student loan debt and make public colleges and universities tuition-free.

Our public school system needs a complete reboot. I was hoping she would do this, or promote other options, like Charter schools. I think she was met with so much resistance, she pretty much gave up. Although, like a previous poster brought up, she was able to implement the Title IX Reform. Which I didn't know until just reading it. I think she had good intentions, but just wasn't able to get things done.

As far as the yacht thing. If I had one, I'd be doing the same thing. It's what one does. Not to mention, the DeVos family ranked in 26th in Forbes Top Givers list. They donated $112 million in 2018.
https://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rap...2-million.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies