Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2020, 05:43 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times

Advertisements

Herd immunity requires 70-80% of people to be vaccinated. Based on polling 40-50% of people are unwilling to get the vaccine. We also don't have anything approved for children. I think Pfizer just starting testing on teens in February, and I don't believe any testing has been done on kids under 12.

Add in the fact that we don't know how long immunity lasts and I can see masks in our future for quite some time.

My son is a HS senior. I am really hoping he can have a prom and an in-person graduation, and go away to college next fall. If masks can help make any of that happens what's the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2020, 05:48 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
You are posting a lot of conjecture.

So I'm a moderate democrat if I had to label myself.

1) I have not heard one person call for making mask wearing and social distancing permanent. I live in Pennsylvania. so not sure where you are hearing that.

2) Yes I am trusting of scientist and doctors. I AM a scientist. No one is saying they are 100% correct and there are no guarantees in life, if it were not for scientist you would NOT have a future.

3) unfortunately it's a matter of degrees, everyone I know is concerned with the financial future. they were concerned pre pandemic when Heir Trump gave out tax breaks to the rich, they are concerned with losing their health care. Generally speaking those concerns are always there.
Here is the difference. we do not value MONEY over life. We comprehend that millions of our country men will die and that its not that much of a hardship to slap on a mask when in public spaces.

4) lastly mankind has had to do this before, so please stop with the hyperbole. Polio, spanish flu, smallpox, measles. all were threats that were contained.

5) you don't want to get the vaccine? don't get the vaccine. it's that simple but remember personal choice also comes with consequences. so what you really want is the ability to do what you want, how you want to and have everyone else go along with it. humm no that's not in the constitution

The big difference is that today people are supremely self centered, one thing I find about the right ( a term I generally don't use but since you clumped others in one category) is that they are hypocrites. they say they are concerned with "personal liberty and freedom" but that only means for certain people.
Absolutely

Old 12-10-2020, 05:51 AM

29,500 posts, read 14,656,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
Put away the bong for a couple of days, go outside and walk around, get some exercise. You’ll start to feel better.

I was going to reply with a "put down the Sci Fi book, and come back to reality." but your reply works just as well.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:53 AM

21,382 posts, read 7,949,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnOurWayHome View Post
Herd immunity requires 70-80% of people to be vaccinated. Based on polling 40-50% of people are unwilling to get the vaccine. We also don't have anything approved for children. I think Pfizer just starting testing on teens in February, and I don't believe any testing has been done on kids under 12.

Add in the fact that we don't know how long immunity lasts and I can see masks in our future for quite some time.

My son is a HS senior. I am really hoping he can have a prom and an in-person graduation, and go away to college next fall. If masks can help make any of that happens what's the big deal?
Any parent who enrolls a child in this trial should be jailed for medical negligence.

Old 12-10-2020, 05:57 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
I believe Moderna(sp) started trials on kids 12-18.

It's up to the parents.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:08 AM

8,840 posts, read 4,806,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newtovenice View Post
Any parent who enrolls a child in this trial should be jailed for medical negligence.
Do you say the same of the parents of kids who got the polio vaccine?

https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...e-trials-begin

Old 12-10-2020, 06:15 AM

37,217 posts, read 19,210,527 times
Quote:

My grandmother had polio when she was four, and it left her partially crippled with crooked feet. When the vaccine became available, my Mother took us and we stood in line for a couple of hours waiting to get it. There was absolutely no question about whether or not to take it.

Anti-vaxxers need to get their "Science" from some place other than YouTube and other alternative media. Science is real, and what you don't know can kill you and your family.

Old 12-10-2020, 06:30 AM

7,369 posts, read 3,533,397 times
Quote:

I'm all for vaccination but polio affected children much different than covid. Based on the scientific data, I don't see a reason to vaccinate small children

Old 12-10-2020, 06:42 AM

57,301 posts, read 26,217,746 times
Did we stop polio or measles vaccines.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:36 AM

2,774 posts, read 902,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
It's all about the UBI. The pandemic was just a way to get there quicker. Let's face it, in just a few short years every single job will be automated completely 100% by robotics. No one will have a job anyway. The economy you speak of will need to be completely revamped to reflect modern values which put all on equal footing. The plan is to have everything reimagined like criminal justice, housing, how we heat and cool housing, transportation, education, food, etc. This is necessary if we want life on Earth to survive. We need to reverse climate change and these measures will help that as well. You have to evolve and forget life as you know it and get used to a new normal. I know this frightens many right wingers, but I think many will enjoy all the government benefits coming their way and never want that taken away.
Wow. You are a true believer. You will be pushing people out of your way to get to the front of the line when they start imbedding chips in us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies