Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2020, 08:21 PM

18,561 posts, read 7,382,872 times

Advertisements

She can call herself doctor all she wants, but when the media does so they are giving us a big middle finger. They don't do it for anyone except the most privileged and overrated left-wing icons.

Old 12-14-2020, 08:40 PM

18,404 posts, read 19,040,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
She can call herself doctor all she wants, but when the media does so they are giving us a big middle finger. They don't do it for anyone except the most privileged and overrated left-wing icons.
“Dr” Laura Schlessinger ring a bell?

Old 12-14-2020, 09:32 PM

29,219 posts, read 22,389,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbdwihdh378y9 View Post
That's not true!
Statesmen who hold doctorates commonly have their title included with their name in the media, and always have been addressed that way.
This includes Dr. Vincent Peale, Dr. Henry Kissinger, and a slew of others who have doctorates in many, many fields outside medicine. Many have no political ties at all.

The term has been used forever ass an honorarium, a way of payment for the person's expertise that doesn't involve money. There's no insult in that usage whatsoever.

To think there is is a big mistake of yours. So is thinking doctorates are left-wing icons only.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:36 PM

39,875 posts, read 26,537,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordSquidworth View Post
Anyone with a PhD can use the title.
Among my customers are some of the nation's top physicists, chemists and materials scientists. A great many of them have PhDs and run labs at our national labs and top universities. All are very, very smart, and at least in business conversations, nice people. NOT A ONE INSISTS ON BEING REFERRED TO AS "DOCTOR". The people that are really at the top of their fields don't need that degree of constant reassurance as to their own worth. Jill Biden taught at a community college. She comes across as an insecure little narscicist that insists on this recognition to build on her fragile little ego.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:36 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
I have a PhD but never put it anywhere in my email or presentation. However I see many people do that. Kind of weird.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:39 PM

32,083 posts, read 15,081,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Well, well well. It's apparent that many here have not attended college or university. Many, if not most, professors are addressed as Dr. XXXX. They have earned their title by receiving their Ph.D in their respective field. A Ph.D is not the same as an MD but both attain the right to use the title of Doctor. I am halfway through a doctoral program. You can all call me Doctor I. B. Ginnie once it's completed.

Seriously, people before you go spouting this type of nonsense, use your favorite search engine and look things up before posting. Learn something new.
Wow, that's awesome. Dr Ibginnie it is. You will have earned that title.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:41 PM

10,130 posts, read 19,889,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bettafish View Post
I have a PhD but never put it anywhere in my email or presentation. However I see many people do that. Kind of weird.
Dr. Bettafish,

A lot of professors do that. It’s kind of a thing in academia, to recognize the doctorate. Look at any university web site and all the faculty with PhDs are referred to by Dr.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:46 PM

9,229 posts, read 9,764,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Dr. Bettafish,

A lot of professors do that. It’s kind of a thing in academia, to recognize the doctorate. Look at any university web site and all the faculty with PhDs are referred to by Dr.
It's ok to address other people as "Dr.", but it is weird to put "Ph.D." after my name by myself, when it is not a public speech on behalf of some organization.

Old 12-14-2020, 09:59 PM

19,801 posts, read 22,703,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I can see having PhD after your name, but Dr. should be reserved for medical Dr's.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/word...%20was%20afoot.

Quote:
The English language history of doctor starts in the early 14th century, when the word was first applied to a select few who likely knew neither bloodwork nor basketwork. They were equipped for dealing with matters of the soul: they were eminent theologians who had a special seal of approval from the Roman Catholic Church as people able to talk about and explain the doctrines of the Church. They were teachers of a kind, and the word's origin makes this connection. The word doctor comes from the Latin word for "teacher," itself from docēre, meaning "to teach."

Old 12-14-2020, 10:08 PM

14,785 posts, read 8,120,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cp102 View Post

Anyone with a PHD can use that title if they so desire.
This is what bothers you? This is like the times you all attacked Obama because he wore a tan suite or Michelle Obama because she wore a sleeveless dress. Get real.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies