Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 05:25 AM

34,059 posts, read 17,081,326 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
But very few people want to live in Right to Work states. Would you like to live in one of them, such as Oklahoma or Kansas?

I did for 17 years. Loved it. Metro Nashville had highest growth rates of any region I ever lived in. Had superb benefits at my Tn employers (far better than Ct, NJ, or NY employers I was at), only moved due to family situation. Will retire back there again.

PS: Nashville metro population growth has been huge for a few decades now, mainly in suburbs. Mine had 269 citizens in 1969 in the city itself, is around 60k now, will reach 90k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 05:28 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And when it comes down to economics can no longer support a work force at its current level the unions first rule is to ensure that they get theirs while the rank and file have to be let go. How many industries do well with good benefits and conditions without the union sticking their finger in it....
One of the main reasons some say is the reasons some cities are in a terrible financial condition is the cost of benefits to their state employees. A result of the unions.

Old 12-16-2020, 05:30 AM

6,119 posts, read 4,609,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Why should I be forced to join a private organization and pay dues to get a job from my government?
This isn't the case everywhere. North Carolina doesn't even allow collective bargaining by public employees.

https://www.ncleg.net/EnactedLegisla.../GS_95-98.html

Old 12-16-2020, 05:34 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by erasure View Post
The difference I saw right away between the "right to work" state and the neighboring "blue state," is that the first one prefers to hire part time with no benefits ( health insurance including,) while the other one likes to hire full time with all the benefits.

So the "disposable income" becomes a very questionable advantage for the workers under these circumstances, even though the cost of living is indeed somewhat lower in the so-called "right to work" state.
"the first one prefers to hire part time with no benefits" So all the plumbers, carpenters, electriciana, truck drivers, mechanics, auto assembling people, etc., etc., etc. are "part time"!

Nothing like muddying the waters!

Old 12-16-2020, 05:53 AM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Quote:
But very few people want to live in Right to Work states. Would you like to live in one of them, such as Oklahoma or Kansas?
I live in a Right to Work State, Virginia and I have a great quality of living without the damn union being involved with my career.....

Old 12-16-2020, 06:44 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,216,524 times
I moved to a RTW state. Thankfully my pension was based on the earning's made in a union friendly state. Same corporation the entire time.

I made more and increased my pension and 401K contribution's in the Union state.

My health benefit's were better in the Union state. Since I retired that Corp has lowered earning's and benefits in the RTW state.

I was a teamster member back in the early 80's. We decertified. However we were able as a group to use the union forming ability to our advantage. Increasing earning's and benefit's. Here in the RTW state it goes the other way.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:42 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,634,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
Right to work states are states where you have the right to a job without being forced to join a private 3rd party organization (union) and pay dues in order to have that job.

Moreover, you have a right to a government job without being forced to join a private 3rd party organization (union) that in turn forces you to pay dues.

Right to work states seem to be economically better off than forced union states at the moment.

Percentage Growth in Number of People employed 2009 to 2019:
Right to Work States 16.9%
Forced Union States 9.6%

Growth in Manufacturing, Private Sector Payroll 2009 to 2019:
RTWS 10.0%
FUS 2.9%

Percentage Growth in Total Private-Sector, non-farm employment 2008 to 2018:
RTWS 17.2%
FUS 13.0%

Cost of Living-Adjusted per Capita Disposable Income (2019):
RTWS $48,102
FUS $46,676

Cost of Living-Adjusted After Tax Mean Income per Household (2018):
RTWS $60,806
FUS $56,530

Aggregate Tax Freedom Day (2019):
RTWS April 9
FUS April 22

Growth in Number of Residents aged 35 to 54 (2008 to 2018):
RTWS 1.5%
FUS -7.9%

Welfare Recipients per 1,000 residents (June 2019):
RTWS 2.9
FUS 9.1

Unfunded Liabilities per Capita of Public Pension Plans (2018):
RTWS $13,585
FUS $23,199

Percentage Growth in Real Household Consumption (2008 to 2018):
RTWS 25.1%
FUS 21.2%

New Privately-Owned Single-Unit Housing Authorizations per 1,000 Residents (2019):
RTWS 3.6
FUS 1.5

https://i4v.217.myftpupload.com/wp-c...ime=1608073666

So, it is a privilege to work and feed you and your family.... You need government to regulate you as a person to survive.

Old 12-16-2020, 09:42 AM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Your post is irrelevant. Minimum wage in California is now $12 an hour. However, in Texas, which has Right to Work, the minimum wage is only $7.25 an hour. Would you love to live there and work for $7.25 an hour?
I think you missed the point.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:36 AM

3,418 posts, read 7,790,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug1967 View Post
As an employee I want the right to work for any company without being forced into a union. What's wrong with that? Why not let the worker decide if they want to join the union or not in any particular company? Why be forced to join a union as a requirement to work there?
I am a pro union guy but I agree with this because I lived with it.

Part of the Janus decision dealt with "agency fees" which I never heard of because they were not required in every state, including my RTW state. These fees are less than union dues but required to cover costs associated with the union contract since you were covered by the contract whether you were in the union or not. Non union members in my state paid zero.

In practice when there was a disciplinary action the boss would always ask if the employee was in the union. Why? So the boss could judge how much pushback he would get from the union.

Old 12-16-2020, 06:48 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"the first one prefers to hire part time with no benefits" So all the plumbers, carpenters, electriciana, truck drivers, mechanics, auto assembling people, etc., etc., etc. are "part time"!

Nothing like muddying the waters!

Ha-ha, it's interesting that you list the kind of trades, that are in high demand ANYWHERE in the country, and that command high pay. ( In fact they are so much in demand, that they often don't need an "employer with that "full time schedule."
They can be self-employed.

And auto-assembling people? The kind that understand the technology? They are in demand anywhere in US as well, since US experiences shortages in this kind of people in manufacturing.

No of course the trades that are in demand - these people actually command their wages.
But when it comes to "etc," etc" - that's when the so-called "Right to Work" states LOVE to take advantage of workers and treat them as disposable as much as possible ( and THIS includes hiring part time, in order to avoid paying benefits.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies