Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-24-2008, 04:45 PM

44 posts, read 54,215 times

Advertisements

Okay, where can I begin???

My mother keeps ranting and raving about how she don't like the "right to work state" because those particular states can fire you for your attitude oppose to your working habits.

She (and others) have told me that in Right-to-Work states don't treat employees like they should. I've heard stories where people work at a particular company for years (diligently and good attendance), and just because they REFUSE to speak to a certain individual (particularly a person with some power to fire/hire), they get fired.

I'm from North Carolina myself. I must say that I haven't worked a lot of jobs, so I don't know. But I will say I see individuals that get away with things (coming late, not doing the job correctly, etc.) because they "kiss-up" to the boss. Then you have people like myself that don't talk much or kiss-up, and I'm always being criticized about something. I have perfect attendance, and I never show up late.

Most northeastern cities, you can come to work, and you don't have to kiss nobody's behind. You don't have to grin and cheese all day. Then if somebody have a problem with you, you can always go to the UNION to complain. Union states also strike, when they dont' get their way.

Not in the "SOUTH" You have no rights at these jobs. If you're not nice, you may never get a job regardless of your skills. It's not WHAT you know down hear, but WHO you know, and how much you kiss-up.

Tell me what you think, my fellow Charlotteans......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 05:38 PM

16,259 posts, read 24,790,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcdiva85 View Post
Okay, where can I begin???

My mother keeps ranting and raving about how she don't like the "right to work state" because those particular states can fire you for your attitude oppose to your working habits.

She (and others) have told me that in Right-to-Work states don't treat employees like they should. I've heard stories where people work at a particular company for years (diligently and good attendance), and just because they REFUSE to speak to a certain individual (particularly a person with some power to fire/hire), they get fired.

I'm from North Carolina myself. I must say that I haven't worked a lot of jobs, so I don't know. But I will say I see individuals that get away with things (coming late, not doing the job correctly, etc.) because they "kiss-up" to the boss. Then you have people like myself that don't talk much or kiss-up, and I'm always being criticized about something. I have perfect attendance, and I never show up late.

Most northeastern cities, you can come to work, and you don't have to kiss nobody's behind. You don't have to grin and cheese all day. Then if somebody have a problem with you, you can always go to the UNION to complain. Union states also strike, when they dont' get their way.

Not in the "SOUTH" You have no rights at these jobs. If you're not nice, you may never get a job regardless of your skills. It's not WHAT you know down hear, but WHO you know, and how much you kiss-up.

Tell me what you think, my fellow Charlotteans......
I live in Georgia and have a union job and have as many rights here as I had in Illinois as a member of NABET. There really is no difference that I can see.

Old 01-24-2008, 06:51 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,483,713 times
I'm in a right to work state. Trust me when I tell you employers don't fire people on a whim. They don't want to pay unemployment. They don't want a lawsuit for discrimation. I have heard many bosses say they would love to get rid of "Mary" but Mary is in two protective classes (age and gender, say) and she might sue. If someone is to be fired it takes awhile to lay down the proper paper trail. One employer I had told those people they were "letting go" they had 30 days and continued pay and as much time off as they needed during that 30 days to give them time to find another job. It's not as cold as it sounds.

I don't know what it's like to work for a union, so I have nothing to compare this to.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:14 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,871,567 times
Quote:
That's often the case when you are trying to get a job. It's called the "good ol' boy" mentality. However, this has been my experience once I found one......

Quote:
Trust me when I tell you employers don't fire people on a whim. They don't want to pay unemployment. They don't want a lawsuit for discrimation. I have heard many bosses say they would love to get rid of "Mary" but Mary is in two protective classes (age and gender, say) and she might sue. If someone is to be fired it takes awhile to lay down the proper paper trail. One employer I had told those people they were "letting go" they had 30 days and continued pay and as much time off as they needed during that 30 days to give them time to find another job. It's not as cold as it sounds.
The exception to that is some blue-collar jobs where the tough-guy manager doesn't care what the tough-guy mechanic might say or do. I've seen that a lot in my line of work.

Having grown up in the south, I've never been a union guy, but I certainly can understand the point you made. I know a few people who left the south because jobs were so hard to get because everybody's uncle's friend's son-in-law needed that job worse.

Old 01-24-2008, 07:22 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,018,398 times
http://www.atr.org/images/maps/States_right_to_work.gif (broken link)

Old 01-24-2008, 10:57 PM

44 posts, read 54,215 times
So you're trying to say that most southern and midwest states are right to work states. You're also trying to show me that MOST states in this nation are right to work.

Thanks

Old 01-24-2008, 11:29 PM

5,660 posts, read 27,018,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qcdiva85 View Post
So you're trying to say that most southern and midwest states are right to work states. You're also trying to show me that MOST states in this nation are right to work.

Thanks
Right to Work - 22 states

Non-Right to Work - 28 states

Old 01-25-2008, 01:29 AM

215 posts, read 1,661,019 times
I live in Canada, and some of those "stories" happen here. I used to work at McDonalds. Overtime was 44 hours a week. I know people who worked 60 hours in one week, and only 28 in the next. On thier paycheque, they'd get "88 hours" with no overtime. There had been employees in the past that complained about that - and the company always found some reason or another to sack them.
On the flip side, now I work for a security company. I've had co-workers tell me the stupid things they do, and none of them have ever been fired. It depends on where you work, as in the physical building, not what city you are in.

Old 01-25-2008, 02:41 AM

1 posts, read 7,039 times
I live in St. Louis, MO: Business Are Organized and Workers Should Organize too; to be fair to both sides. A good Union can be a great help to a Company.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:38 AM

732 posts, read 4,160,020 times
I always tell my bosses to fire me and mess with them all the time but they get humor. I am also in a Union, regardless of me being in the union my bosses wouldnt fire me unless I stole from the company or did a cardinal sin.

It depends on your bosses as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Work and Employment