Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 06:59 PM

18,130 posts, read 25,291,852 times

Advertisements

"Right to work" is the pretty name for "Right to fire"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 07:03 PM

612 posts, read 240,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I could care less where you work.

Have you turned down employment because someone tried forcing you into a union? Didn't think so.
Yes I have. My father worker for General Motors. They had a job for me and I declined. I saw the damage the UAW union inflicted on the workers up to and including the plant shutting down permanently. No thanks.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:06 PM

612 posts, read 240,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StillwaterTownie View Post
If the pay and benefits are better at a unionized over a non-unionized workplace, then I'd be quite an idiotic fool not to choose to go to work at the unionized workplace, whether it's in a right to work state or not.
Could be but every single family member and friend I have who were union workers ended up out of a job when the company shut down the facility or went out of business. Me on the other hand have never been unemployed and have done very well without a union.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:38 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Varies by insurance. I now work in NYC, and our deductible is $400. At my last 2 Tn employers, it was $50 for the deductible.

I've asked "if uninsured."
How much a single trip to emergency room would cost?

Old 12-16-2020, 07:46 PM

1,950 posts, read 1,129,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michiganmoon View Post
If you read the post you are replying to, you would know that your response is false.

Cost of living is important.

For example, San Francisco is significantly more expensive than Grand Rapids, Michigan.

$50,000 in Grand Rapids buys more than $100,000 in San Francisco.

If you adjust wages for cost of living, which any honest/intelligent discussion would - right to work states have more disposable income on average.

Look at this cost of living calculator to confirm that costs vary dramatically across the country.

https://money.cnn.com/calculator/pf/...ing/index.html

Seriously, look at the cost of living calculator to confirm the lies pushed by the Washington Post to propagandize for the Unions. If you adjust for cost of living Forced Union states do not have more income. The Washington Post is smart enough to know about significant cost of living differences across the country, but they omit it from their argument. Why? Because the Washington Post's #1 job is NOT to report the news or to broker an honest conversation. Their job is to reaffirm liberal beliefs and push a liberal narrative even if the facts say the opposite.
Are you aware that San Francisco and Grand Rapids are not states? Doesn't seem like it. Perhaps you should read the post you are replying to.

Old 12-16-2020, 07:52 PM

26,790 posts, read 22,556,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And your welcome to believe it or not look at the textile industry as an example who left this country decades ago and didn't go to China.

Oh yeah..
I still remember those times - the cotton sweaters I looked at were made in some mysterious Macao.

I thought to myself that people should be nutz to put a price tag of $50 at some plain cotton pullover, as nice as it might look.

For this price I thought it should sing and dance for me.
So what did it cost to produce it "in Macao"?

5 bucks? Three?
And selling for $50 a piece in US?

He-he.

Quote:
Look at the Auto industry today their making plenty of cars including most of the imports in this country but in states without the unions. They provide good jobs, benefits and conditions at a lower cost than if they re-established facilities up north where the unions have a strangle hold.

If I were you, I'd be looking AROUND you and taking a note what's happening with the country as the result of all that wonderful "made in China" economy.

But apparently you are not connecting the dots, thinking only about "how we taught the unions a lesson."
Right.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:00 PM

8,299 posts, read 3,813,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
And your welcome to believe it or not look at the textile industry as an example who left this country decades ago and didn't go to China.
I looked at the tags of most of my close recently because of these claims that everything is made in China. For the most part, they're made in Europe (Italy, France, England, etc.) and some (like my jeans) are made in the USA. Take a look at your clothing tags. You'll be surprised.

Old 12-16-2020, 08:15 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,370,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junebug1967 View Post
Yes I have. My father worker for General Motors. They had a job for me and I declined. I saw the damage the UAW union inflicted on the workers up to and including the plant shutting down permanently. No thanks.
Aside from shutting down, what damage did they inflict?

What did the job pay and what did you take as an alternative?

Old 12-17-2020, 05:53 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
I moved to a RTW state. Thankfully my pension was based on the earning's made in a union friendly state. Same corporation the entire time.

I made more and increased my pension and 401K contribution's in the Union state.

My health benefit's were better in the Union state. Since I retired that Corp has lowered earning's and benefits in the RTW state.

I was a teamster member back in the early 80's. We decertified. However we were able as a group to use the union forming ability to our advantage. Increasing earning's and benefit's. Here in the RTW state it goes the other way.
"I was a teamster member", my condolences.

I was a union member of the AFL-CIO, even a steward, and when we were on strike the ONLY people to cross our line were TEAMSTERS driving the equipment delivery trucks. They came twice a week and had the same drivers so we knew them by name and they knew us.

So much for "brotherhood'!

We even picketed the AFL-CIO headquarters and the press showed up and we told them WHY were picketing. They weren't too happy with the press telling the story and showing what a bunch of hypocrites the are.

" Here in the RTW state it goes the other way." Was you cost of living lower where you moved to?

Old 12-17-2020, 06:00 AM

59,088 posts, read 27,318,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
I think you missed the point.
He is one of the "highly educated" ones and WE are the UN-educated deplorables, yet he does NOT know anything about Cost of living!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies