Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 11:57 AM

26,694 posts, read 14,582,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Maggie Thatcher was brilliant. She rose to the top scratching and biting, no one appointed her to anything. Watch this video, The poor poorer.

The answer is reduce federal spending to match federal income, not base tax rates on what the federal government wants to spend.

Being a libertarian in the Republican Party once simply meant you were a Goldwater Republican instead of a Rockefeller Republican.

Republicans get mad at Paul and Cruz when they hold up essential legislation by tilting at windmills. Compromise is how government functions. If every politician stuck only to their personal philosophy nothing would ever get done.

Rand Paul will never rise until he is able to understand the difference between libertarianism the ideal and what has to be done to move policy forward. You are never going to have a libertarian majority in this country.

Taxing personal income and property is stealing. It can be called nothing else. Stealing is taking what does not belong to you. Your personal income and personal property are not the property of the state and they are not entitled to decide how much of your possessions you are allowed to keep.

Instead of hurling childish insults you should read up on the matter. Start with Federalist No. 10, read Pollock v. Farmers Loan Trust Co , not just Chief Justice Fuller's opinion, but the very strong, prescient concurrence of Justice Field; look at Madison and Jefferson's comment on the essential need for uniformity and equal protection to all citizens.

Quite right.

Your assessment in Rand Paul is correct. All the people voting for the libertarians should hear that. It’s one thing to vote based on upholding your principle, but quite another that the end result is splitting the vote and allowing the evil racist democrats to take control.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 11:58 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,305,155 times
Americans Wha Hae With apologies to Robert Burns

Americans, wha hae wi' Reagan bled,
Americans, wham Goldwater has aften led;
Welcome to your gory bed,
Or to victory!

Now's the day, and now's the hour;
See the front o' battle lour;
See approach proud Biden's power—
Chains and slavery!

Wha will be a traitor knave?
Wha can fill a coward's grave!
Wha sae base as be a slave?
Let him turn and flee!

Wha for America's Constitution and law
Freedom's sword will strongly draw,
Freeman stand, or freeman fa',
Let him follow me!

By oppression's woes and pains!
By your sons in servile chains!
We will drain our dearest veins,
But they shall be free!

Lay the proud usurpers low!
Tyrants fall in every foe!
Liberty's in every blow!—
Let us do or die!

Old 12-21-2020, 12:21 PM

29,520 posts, read 14,679,331 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
By creating the minimum wage law, do you not understand you want to force other people at gunpoint to pay a wage they don’t want to pay?

How is that moral, just, or fair? You would only do that if you believe people are your slaves and they shall do what you command with a gun in your hand.

Free people should be left to decide their own fate or wage.
At gunpoint ? LOL. Can you actually have a conversation without the added hyperbole ? Life is full of things we have to do but would rather not. I'm actually torn on the whole issue. In a perfect world it would not be needed, and it may not even be needed now. At the time the law was created, it was needed. To protect the workers. At least from what I've read.
I think getting ride of it, vs raising it is a much better idea though. And it makes no sense that it has become such a huge issue. Minimum wage jobs are not meant to be careers. They are just stepping stones to getting young adults into the workplace.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:51 PM

13,512 posts, read 17,046,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
At gunpoint ? LOL. Can you actually have a conversation without the added hyperbole ? Life is full of things we have to do but would rather not. I'm actually torn on the whole issue. In a perfect world it would not be needed, and it may not even be needed now. At the time the law was created, it was needed. To protect the workers. At least from what I've read.
I think getting ride of it, vs raising it is a much better idea though. And it makes no sense that it has become such a huge issue. Minimum wage jobs are not meant to be careers. They are just stepping stones to getting young adults into the workplace.
No, they can't get past the hyperbole. That's why there's no point in having a conversation with people who are completely hooked on an ideology that leaves no room for intelligent or rational thought on issue issue.

Government doing anything for the common good=evil.

That opinion has been noted.

Old 12-21-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
Is the minimum wage law enforced by words or by guns? You don’t think it’s voluntary or people can violate the law with impunity, do you? So, yes, it is enforced at gunpoint.

I said this before and I say it again. Nobody can control price. Price is determined by the parties involved in a transaction. You force people to pay minimum wage, those who cannot produce more value than the minimum wage would immediately become unemployed because no sane person would pay more for something valued less. Would you pay someone to work for you $20/hour while he can only generate $19/hour? You wouldn’t and neither would everybody else.

To protect the workers??? LOL. The government cannot protect the workers. The only party that can protect the workers is other employers. If we truly want to protect the workers, we should cut off all but a few regulations. It will reduce all the trade barriers also known as regulations and allow more competition to enter the market.

Furthermore, the willingness to accept a lower salary is the MOST potent tool for every worker. If you mandate a minimum wage, you take away the best tool workers have.

So, in summary, minimum wage law is immoral, unjust, anti science, and counterproductive.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:00 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,794,028 times
Quote:
So people are your slaves and you, the all wise and brilliant, should decide for them?

If they split my salary, I can decide to quit or stay. I don’t need you to decide what to do.
True and as each corporation of "free people" decides to do the same across the board.. I'm certain you'll possess a different pitch.

We have a constitution and Laws because "Free People" often make irrational decisions of which affect other "Free People."

Finally- I would call anyone I've employed an employee or associate.

The term slave isn't suitable for my palate .

Old 12-21-2020, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
No, they can't get past the hyperbole. That's why there's no point in having a conversation with people who are completely hooked on an ideology that leaves no room for intelligent or rational thought on issue issue.

Government doing anything for the common good=evil.

That opinion has been noted.
For the common good? Any common good that doesn’t respect individual liberty is evil.

For example, if we vote to sentence you to die and divide your property for the common good, is that not evil?

Last time the common good has been tried, tens of millions were slaughtered for the common good.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:01 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,604,080 times
Fifty Years of Tax Cuts for Rich Didn’t Trickle Down

The indicators used so at to determine the wealth of a nation --- they all looked good.

Old 12-21-2020, 01:04 PM

1,680 posts, read 1,794,028 times
Quote:
Is the minimum wage law enforced by words or by guns? You don’t think it’s voluntary or people can violate the law with impunity, do you? So, yes, it is enforced at gunpoint.

I said this before and I say it again. Nobody can control price. Price is determined by the parties involved in a transaction. You force people to pay minimum wage, those who cannot produce more value than the minimum wage would immediately become unemployed because no sane person would pay more for something valued less. Would you pay someone to work for you $20/hour while he can only generate $19/hour? You wouldn’t and neither would everybody else.

To protect the workers??? LOL. The government cannot protect the workers. The only party that can protect the workers is other employers. If we truly want to protect the workers, we should cut off all but a few regulations. It will reduce all the trade barriers also known as regulations and allow more competition to enter the market.

[B]Furthermore, the willingness to accept a lower salary is the MOST potent tool for every worker. If you mandate a minimum wage, you take away the best tool workers have. [/B]

So, in summary, minimum wage law is immoral, unjust, anti science, and counterproductive.
You're being facetious?

Great point!

Old 12-21-2020, 01:07 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,604,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
there will always be the rich and poor. Some will have to pull on their bootstraps a little harder than others.
"The poor will always be among us" --- biblical text 4000 years old. Sometimes nothing changes, not matter how hard one wishes them to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies