Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-21-2020, 02:33 PM

29,449 posts, read 14,631,447 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
Is the minimum wage law enforced by words or by guns? You don’t think it’s voluntary or people can violate the law with impunity, do you? So, yes, it is enforced at gunpoint.

I said this before and I say it again. Nobody can control price. Price is determined by the parties involved in a transaction. You force people to pay minimum wage, those who cannot produce more value than the minimum wage would immediately become unemployed because no sane person would pay more for something valued less. Would you pay someone to work for you $20/hour while he can only generate $19/hour? You wouldn’t and neither would everybody else.

To protect the workers??? LOL. The government cannot protect the workers. The only party that can protect the workers is other employers. If we truly want to protect the workers, we should cut off all but a few regulations. It will reduce all the trade barriers also known as regulations and allow more competition to enter the market.

Furthermore, the willingness to accept a lower salary is the MOST potent tool for every worker. If you mandate a minimum wage, you take away the best tool workers have.

So, in summary, minimum wage law is immoral, unjust, anti science, and counterproductive.
You've obviously never worked "under the table before". Don't bother with a reply though, if you are going to continue with the blatant hyperbole, to the point of being laughable...we've got nothing more to say.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2020, 02:42 PM

29,449 posts, read 14,631,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
At the time it was enacted, 90% of workers were agricultural workers and agricultural workers were exempted and not paid a minimum wage.

Agricultural workers were not covered until 1964.
Interesting. Nothing I have found states that 90% of our workforce worked in agriculture in the late 30's which is when the FLSA bill was passed. Prior to 1930, I would agree with you.

https://time.com/4376857/flsa-history/

https://careertrend.com/info-8254157...ple-1930s.html

Old 12-21-2020, 02:48 PM

9,617 posts, read 6,061,702 times
So? Not my problem, as I became well to do, because I focused on things that mattered. Now i can do things that matter, for others, and my family. Worrying about someone else's success or lack of success is a waste.
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Fairly obvious conclusion given the stagnant wages(despite rising productivity), wealth concentration, and monopolization trends/shrinking GDP share of small businesses.

Fifty Years of Tax Cuts for Rich Didn’t Trickle Down, Study Says

Old 12-21-2020, 03:07 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
You've obviously never worked "under the table before". Don't bother with a reply though, if you are going to continue with the blatant hyperbole, to the point of being laughable...we've got nothing more to say.
Under the table means illegal. If caught, you would be subject to fine and jail time at gunpoint.

Feel free to refuse the reality.

Old 12-21-2020, 04:27 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,475,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarabchuck View Post
50% of all income is "under the table" or "off the books"

that is the problem with taxing income...to do it right, don't tax income personal or corporate...tax spending

Old 12-21-2020, 04:58 PM

26,694 posts, read 14,558,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

that is the problem with taxing income...to do it right, don't tax income personal or corporate...tax spending
Yup!

Old 12-22-2020, 12:57 AM

3,046 posts, read 2,383,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifeexplorer View Post
There is a choice between “more corruption - Biden” and “less corruption - Trump.”
Spoken like a true Trump cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPECFRCE View Post
You have a made Great point-
Furthermore, the willingness to accept a lower salary is the MOST potent tool for every worker. If you mandate a minimum wage, you take away the best tool workers have.

Moving forward you can Control price; Price floor and Price Ceiling. All things in consideration this very overnment utilizes Price Controls.
Hire me!! I'm willing to work for scraps! I now hold the power! LOL

Old 12-22-2020, 07:12 AM

88,994 posts, read 44,793,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post

Old 12-22-2020, 07:47 AM

78,350 posts, read 60,547,237 times
So, the only impact is tax cuts?

No impact from off-shoring jobs to Asia and Mexico?

No impact from on-shoring cheap labor with no rights by the millions and then calling critics racist?

Well gosh golly, it's a Christmas miracle....but on the other hand maybe there are multiple factors.

Old 12-22-2020, 08:46 AM

3,210 posts, read 4,612,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notnamed View Post
Fairly obvious conclusion given the stagnant wages(despite rising productivity), wealth concentration, and monopolization trends/shrinking GDP share of small businesses.

Fifty Years of Tax Cuts for Rich Didn’t Trickle Down, Study Says
It did trickle down, just to the developing world....

The fact is that the biggest reason wages in the rich world are stagnant is because there is more competition for labor, and that won't be solved by higher taxes on the rich.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies