Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-24-2022, 10:51 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
I will give you the best evidence so far. One that is based on a double-blind* RCT, considered the gold-standard in evidence based medicine. And this study was done by Pfizer herself.

In the Pfizer study, PR and published in the NEJM, there were ultimately 34 deaths. But the figure to focus on is deaths from CVD. There was 9 in the vaccinated cohort, and 5 in the unvaccinated cohort. This is almost 2:1, in a double-blind RCT where cohorts are matched for age, health, gender, etc. This is a real signal of danger. And normally would send off alarm bells, and Pfizer would probably need to re-do the study - this time taking biomarkers of people pre and post vaccination.

*We now from the Ventavia whistleblower that at least a subset of Pfizer's double-blind RCT done in Texas wasn't double-blind at all. But a story for another day.
Can you share that link? I have a statistics background and I’m very interested in the design.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:00 AM

30,976 posts, read 21,624,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missmycountry View Post
Are you a military or airline pilot? Your post is not only incorrect, but actually made my spouse (who IS a pilot), and our two neighbors (also pilots) crack up.
No, I'm not. So once again I ask are deaths of pilots up considerably now compared with 2019 or not. Or is it impossible to find the data to determine that because airlines don't release such data?

Also is it a total myth that airline pilots die sooner than people in other professions?

Are people not holding protests over the covid vaccines because so few people know of anybody who died from them?

Your post didn't answer didn't answer any of the above. Maybe somebody else on here knows.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:12 AM

2,284 posts, read 636,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Can you share that link? I have a statistics background and I’m very interested in the design.
Yes: https://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.10...5_appendix.pdf

It's Pfizer's own table, go to table S4.

So many people never read the Pfizer study apparently.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:34 AM

18,801 posts, read 8,464,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachGecko View Post
Yes: https://www.nejm.org/doi/suppl/10.10...5_appendix.pdf

It's Pfizer's own table, go to table S4.

So many people never read the Pfizer study apparently.
Good stuff, and thank you for posting. You have to be careful about the death diagnoses. For instance 'cardiac arrest' and 'cardio-respiratory arrest' are common endpoints of many terminal diseases and events aside from being specifically and solely a cardiac death. Many times the picture changes based on how the attending doc fills out the death cert. There is one case of the diagnosis 'death' on the placebo side! There were two actual 'myocardial infarctions' in the placebo group vs 0 in the vaccinated.

Of course we have all been looking for significant and dangerous trends. But specific cardiac deaths from the vaccines remains rare, as opposed to cardiac deaths from the actual Covid 19 disease.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Good stuff, and thank you for posting. You have to be careful about the death diagnoses. For instance 'cardiac arrest' and 'cardio-respiratory arrest' are common endpoints of many terminal diseases and events aside from being specifically and solely a cardiac death. Many times the picture changes based on how the attending doc fills out the death cert. There is one case of the diagnosis 'death' on the placebo side! There were two actual 'myocardial infarctions' in the placebo group vs 0 in the vaccinated.

Of course we have all been looking for significant and dangerous trends. But specific cardiac deaths from the vaccines remains rare, as opposed to cardiac deaths from the actual Covid 19 disease.
I simply tallied them into one bucket, CVD. It's broken up in that table in such a way, there will be no signal. But if you consider causes from CVD, you get 9 in the vaccinated vs 5 in the unvaccinated. I think that's somewhat alarming. This is all-cause CVD. I'm not suggesting it's from COVID, the vaccines, or some other condition. What I'd expect is there to be no signal of increased CVD in the vaccinated arm. It should be the same or even less (as it's protecting you from COVID supposedly) but indeed it's almost 2x as large. Granted, numbers are small, so is the time frame.

In a perfect world, Pfizer would then redo their study, this time taking biomarkers right before, then after vaccination. Then these biomarkers would be used in statistical analysis as deaths are rare to begin with, it's quite common unless the study is large or long enough for a statistical signal considered relevant (p < 0.05) to never be obtained.

This is something i noticed btw, i never seen anyone else point this out. Perhaps because causes of death are broken into such tiny buckets, no one saw a signal. I simply grouped them into one related bucket: CVD. For the other causes, like 'death' it's quite strange and probably Pfizer didn't properly follow up to get a cause of death. This is an example of lazy science, but not critical to the conclusion.

Edit: I realized just now you're making the same point as Floorist below (read your post wrong the first go). This is something to consider, but for simplicity we should assume they're cardiac related.

Quote:
The cause of the cardiac arrest is most often cardiac (50%-60%), followed by respiratory insufficiency (15%-40%). Efforts to prevent in-hospital cardiac arrest require both a system for identifying deteriorating patients and an appropriate interventional response (eg, rapid response teams).
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...sponse%20teams).

Last edited by beachGecko; 04-24-2022 at 11:50 AM..

Old 04-24-2022, 11:39 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post

I had a doctor tell me that if they are not sure of the exact cause of death, they write cardiac arrest because your heart stops when you die.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I had a doctor tell me that if they are not sure of the exact cause of death, they write cardiac arrest because your heart stops when you die.
this is a good point, but for simplicity I will assume the 5 cardiac arrests reported were cardiac related. I guess it could be a lazy examiner.

Old 04-24-2022, 11:44 AM

19,717 posts, read 10,112,559 times
My biggest gripe with the vaccine is the CDC not giving a list of the side effects. Let people make an informed decision on the vaccine.
I suffered for two months because my doctor had not heard of the side effect that I got, even though red blood cell issues are one of the most common side effects. There have been thousands of red blood cell issues from the vaccine.
The CDC supposedly works for the people, why should they be allowed to withhold important information?

Old 04-24-2022, 11:49 AM

8,181 posts, read 2,789,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
My biggest gripe with the vaccine is the CDC not giving a list of the side effects. Let people make an informed decision on the vaccine.
I suffered for two months because my doctor had not heard of the side effect that I got, even though red blood cell issues are one of the most common side effects. There have been thousands of red blood cell issues from the vaccine.
The CDC supposedly works for the people, why should they be allowed to withhold important information?
My biggest gripe is that, despite royally screwing up this pandemic and causing harm to millions of people overreaching their statutory mandate, the CDC continues to exist.

Old 04-24-2022, 12:58 PM

13,302 posts, read 7,866,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperthetic View Post
That's HELLTH, stupid.

Read up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies