Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 07:49 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,765,593 times

Advertisements

The Senate inserted language into The Cares Act to ban on businesses owned by government officials and their families from receiving PPP

As some may recall, Treasury fought hard to NOT disclose loan recipients.

Several news outlets sued the SBA for data.

A link to a searchable database by state, industry or business name is imbedded in this link:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin.../ppp-sba-data/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2020, 07:54 AM

17,155 posts, read 12,970,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryclaire View Post
The church is performing a much needed service so what's your beef?

I don't like all the PPP either but you can't fault them for asking? Look at who approved them for answers.
What service is that exactly? From my perspective (and it's a clear one, since I live nearby,) it's lining Osteen's pockets. I remember during Hurricane Harvey when the small churches opened their sanctuaries to survivors to shelter in. Osteen refused to open his doors. He lied and said Lakewood Church would remain closed because the church was "under construction." Only after being subjected to extreme criticism did he relent and allow floor victims to stay in his enormous megachurch.

Old 12-18-2020, 07:57 AM

45,235 posts, read 26,464,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What service is that exactly? From my perspective (and it's a clear one, since I live nearby,) it's lining Osteen's pockets. I remember during Hurricane Harvey when the small churches opened their sanctuaries to survivors to shelter in. Osteen refused to open his doors. He lied and said Lakewood Church would remain closed because the church was "under construction." Only after being subjected to extreme criticism did he relent and allow floor victims to stay in his emormous megachurch.
You support a system that upfront states it will redistribute wealth, but it doesnt come with a guarantee it will go to who you want.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 12-18-2020 at 08:06 AM..

Old 12-18-2020, 07:59 AM

4,156 posts, read 4,177,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Are you mad because a non- taxpayer received tax dollars? Or is it because its a church?
If I have to put a bet on, I would bet he is mad because it is a church.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beach43ofus View Post
The restaurant Gavin Newsom got exposed eating at, got almost $2 Million in CARES act cash...a freaking restaurant.

Most of the CARES act money was stolen by companies that didn't deserve to get it, or to get as much as they filed for.

One crook bought a Lambo with his ill-gotten gains and was busted. Google Lamborghini + CARES to see the articles about him.

CARES = Massive rip off of amercian taxpayers.

It's not just Democrats either, plenty of Republicans were in on the big steal too....1 Trillion+ gone.

Even Harvard and Yale stole millions.

Pelosi's husbands business stole millions.

The Fox is in the Henhouse, & nobody's guarding the Henhouse.
“Most of the Cares Act money was stolen by companies that didn’t deserve to get it” ? Most?

Ivy League schools reconsidered PPP loans and opted out.

Pelosi’s husband has a minor passive investor interest in a hotel. Do you understand the term “ passive”? The hotel received a PPP loan.

Hotels and restaurants all over the US received PPP.
Airlines received PPP.
Some cruise lines received PPP.

Here’s a small church in Orlando where the founder used $8 million PPE to enrich himself and did so through a series of bank transfers.

https://nypost.com/2020/12/17/feds-s...d-<br /> case/

When a business qualifies for PPP and it’s granted, is not stealing.

When government hands out $, a percentage of it is fraud. Fraud is non- partisan.

Treasury Secretary Mnuchin committed to auditing all PPP in excess of $2 million.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:26 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,303,880 times
I don't see the issue. The PPP is the Paycheck Protection Program. The church may not pay taxes on the collections from congregants, but the 350 employees pay federal income tax, and FICA. Those employees are entitled to PPP money as much as anyone.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:26 AM

11,507 posts, read 6,021,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopo View Post
Why isn't news media talking about this BS?
Churches that don't pay a dime in tax dollars getting millions of tax in Covid relief.

Multimillionaire televangelist Joel Osteen’s Lakewood Church in Texas netted $4.4 million in bailouts through the federal COVID-19 relief program, records show.
https://www.foxbusiness.com/lifestyl...virus-ppp-loan

The Houston megachurch, the largest in the nation with 52,000 weekly congregants, received the forgivable Paycheck Protection Program loan in late July, the Houston Business Journal reported Sunday.
The loan was the third-highest in the Houston area during all of July and August, the outlet noted, citing federal data.
Lakewood’s PPP check went to 368 full- and part-time employees, spokesman Donald Iloff told the Houston Business Journal.
You realize it is just a loan, right?

Old 12-18-2020, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
What service is that exactly? From my perspective (and it's a clear one, since I live nearby,) it's lining Osteen's pockets. I remember during Hurricane Harvey when the small churches opened their sanctuaries to survivors to shelter in. Osteen refused to open his doors. He lied and said Lakewood Church would remain closed because the church was "under construction." Only after being subjected to extreme criticism did he relent and allow floor victims to stay in his enormous megachurch.
This church used PPP to continue to pay hundreds of its employees and continue their benefits.

The alternative would have been for the church to lay off employees and have them claim unemployment benefits, including the $600/ week unemployment topper, while it lasted.

Osteen’s wealth is tied to book sales.

Agree it was a seriously bad optic when this church initially declined to open its doors to people impacted by flooding. As I understand it, this decision was reconsidered, after major public pressure.

Old 12-18-2020, 08:32 AM

20,115 posts, read 9,032,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
You realize it is just a loan, right?
you realize these are forgivable loans don't you?

As of Aug. 4, 2020, 5,136,072 forgivable paycheck protection program (PPP) loans had been approved by the Small Business Administration (SBA). And on Oct. 8, 2020, the SBA revealed a simpler loan forgiveness application for loans of $50,000 or less.

https://www.investopedia.com/how-to-...rgiven-4844034

Old 12-18-2020, 08:34 AM

68,330 posts, read 54,419,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryclaire View Post
The church is performing a much needed service so what's your beef?

I don't like all the PPP either but you can't fault them for asking? Look at who approved them for answers.

Which would be what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies