Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2020, 12:02 PM

16,215 posts, read 11,368,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxcio View Post
Because your made up 99.99blahblahblah number is also of unknown long-term effectiveness. What if immunity from having it only lasts a year? We haven't had a year yet to find out. So if the long-term effectiveness of neither is known, why doesn't it make sense to have both if you have already caught Covid? Better chance that one of them will be effective long term if you do both.
I'm 71 years of age, and saddled with an irregular heart rhythm; that puts me in a higher-priority (1B) to get the vaccine, and when the opportunity develops, I will -- just as I voluntarily wear a mask when the situation calls for one.

But this does not mean I'm ready to blindly accept every edict handed down by the bureaucrats and "woke" types out to micro-manage our daily lives from some cloistered sanctuary in the State Health Department.

It has been clear from the earliest stages of this pandemic that there is a clique over there on the left side of the aisle who see this tragedy and threat as another opportunity to aggrandize their own power and influence -- turning all of us into well-behaved sheep along the lines of the Europe they venerate.

Sorry, but I'm not buying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2020, 12:09 PM

18,871 posts, read 8,521,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocoilslick View Post
If you can get re-infected by Covid every 6 months, then why would a vaccine provide any more than 6 months protection? I am using 6 months as an example of a duration.
You don't. It hasn't been happening anywhere in the world in just 6 months, and we are a year into it.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
But don't they already have it showing that recovered people have immunity 8 months later ?
The data is just not yet in. Having measurable immunity is not the same as not getting reinfected. Though IMO most likely, just not yet with enough medical/academic certainty.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:14 PM

43,329 posts, read 18,453,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The data is just not yet in. Having measurable immunity is not the same as not getting reinfected. Though IMO most likely, just not yet with enough medical/academic certainty.
The same could be said of this new vaccine.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I'm 71 years of age, and saddled with an irregular heart rhythm; that puts me in a higher-priority (1B) to get the vaccine, and when the opportunity develops, I will -- just as I voluntarily wear a mask when the situation calls for one.

But this does not mean I'm ready to blindly accept every edict handed down by the bureaucrats and "woke" types out to micro-manage our daily lives from some cloistered sanctuary in the State Health Department.

It has been clear from the earliest stages of this pandemic that there is a clique over there on the left side of the aisle who see this tragedy and threat as another opportunity to aggrandize their own power and influence -- turning all of us into well-behaved sheep along the lines of the Europe they venerate.

Sorry, but I'm not buying.
Well god dammit you should! You are high risk, not some younger healthy person with little risk from Covid 19. And I'm speaking as a long term doc about your age, who with his wife had Covid 19 back in March and it nearly killed her. She is still recovering today.

Would you believe in hydroxychloroquine + z-pak if you got the virus and were offered?

Old 12-26-2020, 12:22 PM

43,329 posts, read 18,453,148 times
Quote:
Well god dammit you should! You are high risk, not some younger healthy person with little risk from Covid 19. And I'm speaking as a long term doc about your age, who with his wife had Covid 19 back in March and it nearly killed her. She is still recovering today.

Would you believe in hydroxychloroquine + z-pak if you got the virus and were offered?
Not possible now....that plant got blown up in a mysterious massive explosion and fire..2nd largest manufacturer of the stuff.

https://www.sproutwired.com/explosio...l-connections/

Old 12-26-2020, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMSRetired View Post
Not possible now....that plant got blown up in a mysterious massive explosion and fire..2nd largest manufacturer of the stuff.

https://www.sproutwired.com/explosio...l-connections/
There's plenty of supply remaining courtesy of silly politics.

But I was specifically asking 2nd trick op my question for specific reasons.

Old 12-26-2020, 12:53 PM

Quote:
There's plenty of supply remaining courtesy of silly politics. But I was specifically asking 2nd trick op my question for specific reasons.
I will do what common sense tells me to do; but I will not sell out my birthright, or anyone else's, to a clique pandering to an unrealistic desire for absolute security -- at the cost of further erosion of our essential freedoms.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
I will do what common sense tells me to do; but I will not sell out my birthright, or anyone else's, to a clique pandering to an unrealistic desire for absolute security -- at the cost of further erosion of our essential freedoms.
Masking and distancing are simply and easy sensible medical recommendations. Not absolutes and will affect everyone differently everywhere and differently every day, all over the world.

Medical opinions of course are not always the best action for everyone.

But can you answer my question?

Old 12-26-2020, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Masking and distancing are simply and easy sensible medical recommendations. Not absolutes and will affect everyone differently everywhere and differently every day, all over the world.

Medical opinions of course are not always the best action for everyone.

But can you answer my question?
I don't see how I can add much more, but for example:

Every major retail store in this area (a fairly-conservative area of rural Pennsylvania) requires masks, as do most offices; as a private citizen, whether on public or private property, I don't have a problem with this.

BUT -- if a particular entrepreneur takes issue with the COVID-Nazis and discourages, or even forbids the use of masks on his private property (consider, as a parallel, the prohibition of hooded sweatshirts in crime-prone businesses), that is also his right.

The shopworn (pun intended )excuse of a "greater common good" does not resonate well in these parts.

Last edited by 2nd trick op; 12-26-2020 at 02:22 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies