Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 11:20 AM

39,948 posts, read 26,662,789 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Same in the whole world. Very uncommon, but I do know of one documented case. At least one my hospital colleagues have told me about.
There should be hard data soon.
One case in the entire country is all I've been able to confirm, and I've been reading everything I can find. 1 out of 19 million reinfected. 99.999995% NOT re-infected. And those people are supposed to take a vaccine that is, at best, 95% effective, with known side effects? It's been here over a year.

Total case in the entire world of re-infection are incredibly low, single digits, and maybe under 5 from what I recall. If we had a vaccine that was anywhere near as effective and as long-lasting we'd be praising it as a miracle. And yet, any mention of this is hidden away in medical journals or given nearly no mention in the mainstream media. Kinda makes you wonder just why that is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 11:39 AM

39,948 posts, read 26,662,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I have no issue with the vaccine, I do have an issue with insisting on those who have already had Covid get the vaccine anyway. I have a larger issue with insisting on vaccinating those Covid veterans when people who haven’t had it and have something going on that puts them at greater risk are still waiting in line to get the vaccine. That smacks of bad policy.
That's where I am. I think the vaccine is a good thing-get it out to health care workers and those working in nursing homes ASAP. Follow up with all patients in nursing homes or similar situations. Those people are the most vulnerable and suffering the worst from the disease. Get those numbers down and case counts (and more importantly death counts) drop dramatically.

What is frustrating is that we aren't being told just how many have to be infected for us to have herd immunity. Based on the classic 1-1/Ro number, it's around 60%. But that leaves out any consideration of T-cell immunity. Some articles indicate we may have herd immunity with as little as 25% exposure-but those articles have largely disappeared in the last few months.

In addition-we have no clue how many have actually been infected in this country. Back in April when some antibody studies were being done, it was shown that nearly 25% of the city had been infected. Since then-news reports have disappeared. Why? This is one of the most critical metrics concerning the disease.

I don't buy into the "conspiracy theories" concerning this bug-but I am disgusted by the lousy quality of the US MSM's reporting. And the manipulation of the public, from the media, from our elected leadership and from our health "experts" who flip-flop more than Joe Biden.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:02 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,774,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
That's where I am. I think the vaccine is a good thing-get it out to health care workers and those working in nursing homes ASAP. Follow up with all patients in nursing homes or similar situations. Those people are the most vulnerable and suffering the worst from the disease. Get those numbers down and case counts (and more importantly death counts) drop dramatically.

What is frustrating is that we aren't being told just how many have to be infected for us to have herd immunity. Based on the classic 1-1/Ro number, it's around 60%. But that leaves out any consideration of T-cell immunity. Some articles indicate we may have herd immunity with as little as 25% exposure-but those articles have largely disappeared in the last few months.

In addition-we have no clue how many have actually been infected in this country. Back in April when some antibody studies were being done, it was shown that nearly 25% of the city had been infected. Since then-news reports have disappeared. Why? This is one of the most critical metrics concerning the disease.

I don't buy into the "conspiracy theories" concerning this bug-but I am disgusted by the lousy quality of the US MSM's reporting. And the manipulation of the public, from the media, from our elected leadership and from our health "experts" who flip-flop more than Joe Biden.
It is definitely an important aspect. And to your point, I tested positive, my entire family had minor cold like symptoms and some lost their sense of taste and smell. We were told not to bother getting anyone else tested. That's 4 virtually certain additional cases that will never be counted. We are all fine btw.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:47 PM

37,293 posts, read 41,544,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animalcrazy View Post
You have to understand that there are other viruses out there like RSV that you are never immune to just because you've had it once.

There are more than just one case of Covid reinfections here in the US. Just because you hear of only one case doesn't mean that there isn't more. I personally know of two cases of reinfection. One from a friend who told me of a repeat customer in her hospital and one from our neighbor that said her nephew recovered and had it again. There are many more that we don't know about. We saw it in Wuhan as well, there's no reason to believe that we wouldn't see it here.

When I was working, I was forced to get the flu vaccine every year. Some years it was only 50% effective, or less. I haven't had a flu vaccine for 5 years now, and I caught it in December of 2019. Fortunately, it was a mild case and with the Tamiflu I was over it in 5 days. I was staying with friends and I wore a mask in their house so they wouldn't get infected. They both had flu shots and remained infection free.

The Covid vaccine is over 90% effective. That's amazing and yes I will get it as soon as it's available. That doesn't mean that you can't get infected with Covid just because you've had the vaccine. It just means that your body instantly recognizes this threat and starts fighting it immediately. You can still pass the virus on to someone else.

In order to achieve herd immunity you need about 70% of our population vaccinated, and given the fact that there has been reinfections, you will most likely need an annual vaccine for Covid, just like for the flu.

Never forget that the pandemic of 1918 was H1N1. The pandemic of 2009 was H1N1. That strain is in every annual flu vaccine.

I have a bad feeling that Covid will be with us forever as well. Do your part. Wear a mask, take the vaccine, and still wear your mask after vaccination to stop the spread.
It has not yet been confirmed that people who are vaccinated will still be infected and able to give the virus to someone else. What will determine whether we need boosters, and how often, depends on how long protection lasts, from either the infection itself or from the vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies