Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-02-2021, 08:05 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,803,058 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by whino View Post
Some good points above; straight men don't tend to have as much public nightclub bathroom-stall sex as gays, that's true. There are however, lesbian and gay couples, who practice Christianity, and don't want marriage as a spite towards conservative Christians. I assume Reformed Jews may do the same? Whether God considers them married or not, isn't for me to decide. I suppose Civil Unions would have been less contentious, but it has already been decided by secular Law.
Gay couples want to get married for the same reasons heterosexual couples do. Love, companionship, building a life together, having a family and enjoying the benefits all of these convey. It’s not about anything else regardless of what some believe. It’s not a spiteful act, it’s a loving one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2021, 08:23 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,592,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
When they think? Or when it is?
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
Either. They expect their beliefs and way of life to be championed by the law because they’re a protected class. And yet, they are fine with denying other people the same protections. How do they justified their hypocrisy? From what I can tell, many just don’t care. It’s baffling given they also like to pretend to be all about love and acceptance. Just not for anyone that’s different than them. (I do not include all Christians in this statement. Just the narrow minded bigoted ones who refuse to allow for the importance of any beliefs other than their own.)
There wouldn't be freedom of religion if it weren't for the Christian and their beliefs --- There would be one great big Church in which you would be paying taxes to.

Go sell it some where else

Old 01-02-2021, 08:30 PM

Quote:
There wouldn't be freedom of religion if it weren't for the Christian and their beliefs --- There would be one great big Church in which you would be paying taxes to.

So what? That means the Christians get to decide who’s worthy of legal protection? No, they don’t.

Freedom of religion is fine, but so is freedom FROM religion. Especially when religion is used to deny rights to others. Do whatever in your Church, but keep your beliefs there and out of the public realm.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:35 PM

Quote:

Quote:
So what? That means the Christians get to decide who’s worthy of legal protection? Freedom of religion is fine, but so is freedom FROM religion.
Freedom from what? Do you not worship as you please, or not as the case may be --- no one is forcing you to do anything in that regard, least of all pay tax to a Church ----

No one has legal protection from prosecution, where have you been?

You can go to McDonald's and pray they serve you a really hot cup of coffee --- I hear that pays out big time.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:42 PM

133 posts, read 54,545 times
Quote:
Gay couples want to get married for the same reasons heterosexual couples do. Love, companionship, building a life together, having a family and enjoying the benefits all of these convey. It’s not about anything else regardless of what some believe. It’s not a spiteful act, it’s a loving one.
If you read my post carefully, I'm essentially saying the same thing you are.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:42 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,405,055 times
Could be they are not looking for a wedding cake
Could be They don’t want cake -they want a law suit
Turn your malice into cash -call 1800 sleazy and breezy attorneys at law -se habla espanol

Old 01-02-2021, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Freedom from what? Do you not worship as you please, or not as the case may be --- no one is forcing you to do anything in that regard, least of all pay tax to a Church ----

You can go to McDonald's and pray they serve you a really hot cup of coffee --- I hear that pays out big time.
Freedom from having religious bigots deny public services based on their personal interpretation of whatever religion they claim to practice. Lots of people have protection from prosecution IF they live in states where they can legally discriminate against non protected classes. Do you really think all 50 states have the same laws? Not hardly.

Bigots may get “prosecuted” in the court of public opinion, but that carries no legal penalties or sentences. Discriminating against a religion, on the other hand, does. So if a gay business owner refused service based on a customers religion, they could be legally prosecuted. If the religious customer did the same to them, they would just be exercising their “rights”.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
Could be they are not looking for a wedding cake
Could be They don’t want cake -they want a law suit
Turn your malice into cash -call 1800 sleazy and breezy attorneys at law -se habla espanol
Except this happened in N.C. Sexual orientation is not a protected class in N.C (and 22 other states) so a lawsuit wouldn’t go far. The couple in this case has not and has no plans to instigate a lawsuit.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:49 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Freedom from having religious bigots deny public services based on their personal interpretation of whatever religion they claim to practice. Lots of people have protection from prosecution IF they live in states where they can legally discriminate against non protected classes. Do you really think all 50 states have the same laws? Not hardly.

Bigots may get “prosecuted” in the court of public opinion, but that carries no legal penalties or sentences. Discriminating against a religion, on the other hand, does. So if a gay business owner refused service based on a customers religion, they could be legally prosecuted. If the religious customer did the same to them, they would just be exercising their “rights”.
The flaw --- The Christian doesn't go to court --- they get drugged into court.

Old 01-02-2021, 08:56 PM

Quote:
The flaw --- The Christian doesn't go to court --- they get drugged into court.
They get “drugged” into court?!? I thought drugging people was illegal.

If you actually read the link to this case, no one is dragging anyone into court. There is no lawsuit or any plan to file a lawsuit. It would be pointless in N.C. since discrimination based on sexual orientation is not illegal. It’s wrong. It’s un-Christian. It’s bigoted, but it’s not illegal. For now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies