Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2021, 08:06 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,590,375 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
Marriage is not a right.

Learn what rights are and stop violating them.
What is marriage then --- ?

The last comment was OT

14 Supreme Court Cases: Marriage is a Fundamental Right

"Fourteen times since 1888, the United States Supreme Court has stated that marriage is a fundamental right of all individuals."

Before it was a right --- it was an Institution

How Long Has the Institution of Marriage Existed For?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2021, 08:13 PM

11,411 posts, read 7,800,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
I boycott all the time, you telling me I can't do that?
It is at the business discretion --- same as mine.
You are a PRIVATE citizen. You can choose to do business or not do business with any entity without facing legal penalties. A PUBLIC business does not have the same rights. If they refuse service based on discrimination against a protected class, they can face legal penalties. That’s because they agreed to follow the laws governing businesses in their State by virtue of applying for and being granted a business license. Those laws dictate their responsibility to serve a member of the public even if they don’t like them for whatever reason.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:21 PM

Quote:
I boycott all the time, you telling me I can't do that?
It is at the business discretion --- same as mine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UNC4Me View Post
You are a PRIVATE citizen. You can choose to do business or not do business with any entity without facing legal penalties. A PUBLIC business does not have the same rights. If they refuse service based on discrimination against a protected class, they can face legal penalties. That’s because they agreed to follow the laws governing businesses in their State by virtue of applying for and being granted a business license. Those laws dictate their responsibility to serve a member of the public even if they don’t like them for whatever reason.
Then who protects the business? Is the business owner not afforded the same protections the Constitution grants?

Old 01-03-2021, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Then who protects the business? Is the business owner not afforded the same protections the Constitution grants?
In their PRIVATE lives, yes. In their BUSINESS dealings they have to abide by the laws of their State and those of the Federal government that regulate businesses. If they don’t want to do so, they shouldn’t own a business.

Old 01-03-2021, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Quote:
In their PRIVATE lives, yes. In their BUSINESS dealings they have to abide by the laws of their State and those of the Federal government that regulate businesses. If they don’t want to do so, they shouldn’t own a business.
And that business is abiding by the laws of their State ---
PS: did the business state why they turned the couple away, or is it assumed?

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 01-03-2021 at 08:31 PM.. Reason: ps

Old 01-03-2021, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Yes, they are, as I’ve repeatedly said. NC permits bigots to discriminate against same sex couples. So do 22 other States. But, times they are a changing.

Edit: They stated outright that they would not rent the venue to a same sex couple. At last they were honest bigots not the sneaky kind.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:18 PM

Quote:
PS: did the business state why they turned the couple away, or is it assumed?
Quote:
Yes, they are, as I’ve repeatedly said. NC permits bigots to discriminate against same sex couples. So do 22 other States. But, times they are a changing.

Edit: They stated outright that they would not rent the venue to a same sex couple. At last they were honest bigots not the sneaky kind.
I asked it because I couldn't remember.
Gays can't be bigots?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies