Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 03:02 PM

8,362 posts, read 3,858,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V8 Vega View Post
The Bible is clear, homosexuality is a sin.
I agree. This would be like marrying a couple that has had acted on temptation (be it sex, a kiss, or whatever) prior to marriage, or a women who is not a virgin, or someone who is divorced. It's okay to deny sinners based on your beliefs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 04:45 PM

24,388 posts, read 12,948,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There weren't years ago. And that's really the point. You have to keep pushing forward against discrimination because it doesn't go away by itself. People who want to discriminate have to be made uncomfortable doing it.
  • So in this matter are you pro being discriminatory against Christians?
  • You feel that Christians must ignore their beliefs and accept others lifestyles when it's against their Christian beliefs?
  • Would you feel the same if they had wanted to be married in a Muslim mosque and were turned away for no other reason than simply because Muslims don't accept their lifestyle?
  • Do you believe, and had proven your beliefs in past posts, that it is wrong for any businesses, wedding venues, cake shops, florists, social media and other types of businesses, to discriminate against those who have different beliefs, whether those beliefs are based on lifestyle, political, religious, etc.?
In this forum, I had stated a few times over the years that I think it's stupid to turn away customers. But, IF the business doing the turning away isn't one of a small monopoly then the customer should just suck it up and move on to the next business.

Old 12-25-2020, 04:48 PM

2,949 posts, read 1,364,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergun View Post
I've walked into many businesses that they either DIDN'T want my business or in ways, I felt like "I" DIDNT want to give them my business, so what's the big deal??!!

Is the country so "woke" that simply moving on isn't possible?? I know that's a stupid question since obviously we are now so "woke," it will destroy the country.

Btw, it's North Carolina!! What did you think was going to happen?? I use to live in North Carolina, one of the places where my ancestors where they were slaves and once you leave most of the urban areas, things are a little different. Many North Carolinians, especially in rural areas, are proud of their Christian heritage and values. With the large influx of "refugee" from New York, New Jersey and other liberal States, now making North Carolina home, these new comers need to chill and understand the values of the people and of that area BEFORE looking for a fight to change them from their belief systems.

There are ways in bringing change, but trying to light a fire, to destroy a business, along with the people, who didn't harm you, is wrong. And trying to force people into your views by shaming them may work in most larger cities, but I bet this community will rally-up to support this business... Since nobody, to include the Left, do not like to be "forced" into change.

Seriously, and this has happened numerous times, say I'd go into a bakery shop in San Francisco and ask for a cake decorated with a MAGA hat, what do you think they'd tell me?? If you're honest you know the answer, which is no and that I'd need to go elsewhere.

So why try to force a small business into your Value System?? It doesn't make sense. Just move on and I can gaurantee that you will find to right business for your wedding... And why hire a person to do something against their beliefs... Is that some form of leveraging power or superiority over them? If so, that's not going to end well.

If you ask me, I think the real purpose of this stunt was to gather support from the LGBT community for financial reasons... Like a free trip AND wedding in a progressive city.
Bravo, bravo!! Your words are mine.

Old 12-25-2020, 05:50 PM

19,342 posts, read 17,242,503 times
Quote:
Clear as mud and it seems every other sin gets a pass but I guess at some point you have to draw a line and not cross it...

Old 12-25-2020, 06:02 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,643,285 times
The couple desiring marriage is free to partake of their vows anywhere they so choose and it is so much easier and happier in those venues that welcome and accommodate them cheerfully with open arms. Unwinnable battles are pointless.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:40 PM

4,277 posts, read 2,584,535 times
Quote:
What is a Bible based marriage? Didn't Abraham marry his half -sister? And then, as if that wasn't enough, didn't he marry her maid? So a Bible based marriage is between a man, his half sister and the help. And in Judges, did not they kill all the men and round up all the virgins? So a Bible based marriage is based on killing off the men in the neighboring town, rounding up the virgins and having a shotgun wedding.

But it gets better...King David, King Solomon...how many wives? Lets see...in King Solomon's case its 700 wives and another 300 or so columbines. Of course, the most homoerotic literature in the Bible is the relationship between David and Jonathan.

Sheshan didn't have sons so he gave his daughter to the help to have a son...now there is a nice Biblical marriage. I suppose these folks in NC would be fine with the father bringing in his daughter against her will to marry the yardman.

But does the Bible allow divorce? No. So in the end, there is no divorce, but you can have as many wives as you want.

And these folks are upholding Christian values? Intolerance is not a value nor is judging others.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:45 PM

12,452 posts, read 8,251,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
What is a Bible based marriage? Didn't Abraham marry his half -sister? And then, as if that wasn't enough, didn't he marry her maid? So a Bible based marriage is between a man, his half sister and the help. And in Judges, did not they kill all the men and round up all the virgins? So a Bible based marriage is based on killing off the men in the neighboring town, rounding up the virgins and having a shotgun wedding.

But it gets better...King David, King Solomon...how many wives? Lets see...in King Solomon's case its 700 wives and another 300 or so columbines. Of course, the most homoerotic literature in the Bible is the relationship between David and Jonathan.

Sheshan didn't have sons so he gave his daughter to the help to have a son...now there is a nice Biblical marriage. I suppose these folks in NC would be fine with the father bringing in his daughter against her will to marry the yardman.

But does the Bible allow divorce. No. So in the end, there is no divorce, but you can have as many wives as you want.

And these folks are upholding Christian values? Intolerance is not a value nor is judging others.
Having the state become the official determiner of what a holy book says when there are thousands of religious denominations that disagree on many points of the same translation just seems wrong.

Old 12-25-2020, 06:54 PM

26,580 posts, read 14,513,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasLawyer2000 View Post
... or someone who is divorced. It's okay to deny sinners based on your beliefs.

... or someone that eats shellfish?

Old 12-25-2020, 07:02 PM

4,277 posts, read 2,584,535 times
There is no protection legally from discrimination like this in NC. However, the NC's moratorium on localities passing their own legislation ended this year. So this might come up locally.

The owners can operate the venue as a hobby or even as a private club, but they would be operating under entirely different rules and if not followed could be considered a business and thus back to square one.

The couple has said they have no intention of pursing a legal remedy; instead, they will use it as an example for lobbying for legislative change.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:17 PM
Status: "This too shall pass. But possibly, like a kidney stone." (set 6 days ago)

35,935 posts, read 18,238,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
  • So in this matter are you pro being discriminatory against Christians?
  • You feel that Christians must ignore their beliefs and accept others lifestyles when it's against their Christian beliefs?
  • Would you feel the same if they had wanted to be married in a Muslim mosque and were turned away for no other reason than simply because Muslims don't accept their lifestyle?
  • Do you believe, and had proven your beliefs in past posts, that it is wrong for any businesses, wedding venues, cake shops, florists, social media and other types of businesses, to discriminate against those who have different beliefs, whether those beliefs are based on lifestyle, political, religious, etc.?
In this forum, I had stated a few times over the years that I think it's stupid to turn away customers. But, IF the business doing the turning away isn't one of a small monopoly then the customer should just suck it up and move on to the next business.
Well, that's a lot of questions. Let me start by saying I'm a devout Christian, the kind that loves others. The kind that says those who are without sin should cast the first stone.

I'm also the kind of Christian who knows Jesus Christ never said one word about gay people. That was old testament. The testament that said stuff about not working on the Sabbath, women not wearing the clothing of men, and not having leavened bread during Passover.

Additionally, I have a very close family member who is gay and I'm sick up to here with businesses discriminating against them and haters hating.

So. Yes. I think businesses who deal with the public should have to do business with every person who is pursuing a legal transaction, that they would happily provide for other customers, regardless of whether that business likes that customer personally or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies