Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-29-2020, 09:02 PM

37,245 posts, read 41,476,925 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
Again --- who knew they would have to hide?
Who? As I said before, the teacher knew better. It does not mean hiding. She could go stand on the busiest street in the town and do it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2020, 09:02 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,629,591 times
Quote:
“I had hoped that this wouldn't happen in North Carolina, but I thought there was a chance it may. ... "
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppyHeel View Post
Yeah, not what that means. Here is a fun fact for you: Did you know that some scholars have speculated that the author whose pseudonym you use as your username was a lesbian? (Cue the Alanis Morissette music)
Do you know who Ellis Bell is? Some people do and they leave comments, letting me know they are educated. Not that you're not, but --- it is British Literature. Look it up, she is a fun one and had a one hit wonder --- back in the day.
PS: try and be a woman who writes and would like to be published in her day, when man ruled everything. law suits were not a thing then ...

Last edited by Ellis Bell; 12-29-2020 at 09:23 PM..

Old 12-29-2020, 09:18 PM

132 posts, read 54,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by berdee View Post
  • So in this matter are you pro being discriminatory against Christians?
  • You feel that Christians must ignore their beliefs and accept others lifestyles when it's against their Christian beliefs?
  • Would you feel the same if they had wanted to be married in a Muslim mosque and were turned away for no other reason than simply because Muslims don't accept their lifestyle?
  • Do you believe, and had proven your beliefs in past posts, that it is wrong for any businesses, wedding venues, cake shops, florists, social media and other types of businesses, to discriminate against those who have different beliefs, whether those beliefs are based on lifestyle, political, religious, etc.?
In this forum, I had stated a few times over the years that I think it's stupid to turn away customers. But, IF the business doing the turning away isn't one of a small monopoly then the customer should just suck it up and move on to the next business.
This!! Many liberals or progressives tend to be anti-Christian, yet they are not anti-Muslim, as paradoxical as that is. As a side note, many if not most mainstream traditional Protestant denominations are actually quite tolerant and inclusive nowadays. I'm not referring to Evangelicals here.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:24 PM

428 posts, read 226,559 times
Quote:
Do you know who Ellis Bell is? Some people do and they leave comments, letting me know they are educated. Not that you're not, but --- it is British Literature. Look it up, she is a fun one and had a one hit wonder --- back in the day.
She and her sisters used masculine pseudonyms in part because their writings didn’t exactly fit the accepted feminine norm of the day and because they feared discrimination would impact their success. Discrimination sucks, eh?

Old 12-29-2020, 09:32 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,642,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whino View Post
This!! Many liberals or progressives tend to be anti-Christian, yet they are not anti-Muslim, as paradoxical as that is. As a side note, many if not most mainstream traditional Protestant denominations are actually quite tolerant and inclusive nowadays. I'm not referring to Evangelicals here.
The intentional discrimination towards those of the Christian faith has been noticed. They have not bothered Jewish or other faiths. Maybe they like those faiths even though one faith would absolutely not put up with their nonsense and we really can not blame them either as we agree with them.

Just Christians, and they claim to be for equality and inclusion yet in this instance they do not pester the other faiths. Interesting to say the least.

Old 12-29-2020, 09:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 568,511 times
Quote:
Jesus and his message are about unconditional love and the full inclusion and acceptance of all of God’s children.
So it is your opinion anything goes, everything is acceptable to Jesus. Yes, while Jesus spoke of love, you need familiarize yourself with all the other subjects he spoke about. There is a reason Jesus consistently spoke of repentance and forgiveness.........because much of the time we don't get it right. Jesus has said, "not every one who says unto me Lord, Lord, shall enter in..." Does that sound like 'full inclusion'? If Christ were walking the earth today preaching the same things He was preaching back in His day, people would be flying off the handle. He’d teach hard things. Draw a line in the sand. Tell people He loves them. Ask them to repent. Maybe even get mad and turn over some tables. Then they’d call Him a bigot. Self-righteous. Un-accepting of others and their way of life. They would “go away” and start their own form of religion like so many of them did while he was preaching in Israel. That is what is taking place in many areas today.
Quote:

Modern evangelicalism has perverted his message into a cult of hatred. Indeed, hatred of others has become the unifying and foundational cornerstone of that system of beliefs.
To the contrary, modern evangelism has eliminated or twisted his message to conform to their own standards. I have given reference to Christ's teaching on marriage. If you can reference Jesus, or any of his apostles condoning a marriage of those of the same sex, I will rethink my position. If you cannot, you are just promoting false doctrine.

Old 12-29-2020, 10:00 PM

1,943 posts, read 568,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
Who? As I said before, the teacher knew better. It does not mean hiding. She could go stand on the busiest street in the town and do it.
Why should that be necessary?

Old 12-29-2020, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stepnking View Post
I have given reference to Christ's teaching on marriage. If you can reference Jesus, or any of his apostles condoning a marriage of those of the same sex, I will rethink my position. If you cannot, you are just promoting false doctrine.
If you are truly interested in exploring this issue I would recommend you start with these books:

https://www.amazon.com/Does-Jesus-Re.../dp/0062049747

https://www.amazon.com/Bible-Gender-.../dp/0802868630

Old 12-29-2020, 10:18 PM

15,754 posts, read 7,629,591 times
Quote:
Quote:
She and her sisters used masculine pseudonyms in part because their writings didn’t exactly fit the accepted feminine norm of the day and because they feared discrimination would impact their success. Discrimination sucks, eh?
Discrimination for being a woman writer seeking to be published in a man's world --- yes, it does. There is another reason Emily chose to be published under a pseudonym, as well. Like any artist, she wasn't sure about her art. They wanted to publish Gondal Island --- and she didn't want to be known for it --- that is how they came to having the pseudonyms. (both sisters and the brother)

What else you got under people and their prejudices?

Old 12-29-2020, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Discrimination for being a woman writer seeking to be published in a man's world --- yes, it does. There is another reason Emily chose to be published under a pseudonym, as well. Like any artist, she wasn't sure about her art. They wanted to publish Gondal Island --- and she didn't want to be known for it --- that is how they came to having the pseudonyms. (both sisters and the brother)

What else you got under people and their prejudices?
Read just about any thread on this forum and you will see plenty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies