Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-27-2020, 03:25 AM

316 posts, read 155,977 times

Advertisements

It is interesting that people are drawing comparisons between WWII and today. In WWII, there was a clear, defined goal and end game. The war would end once Germany and Japan surrendered. Wartime measures would end as soon as possible after the last shot was fired.

With this virus, there is no definition of victory and we are being told that pandemic measures might become permanent. We were told that 60-70% needed to be vaccinated to end the pandemic. Than is was 70-80%. Now it is at 90% which is an almost impossible goal to achieve. There are new strains of the virus developing and it is possible that multiple strains develop which our current vaccine cannot protect us from that will mean new vaccines will be required for each strain. This pandemic is basically an endless war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 04:08 AM

7,511 posts, read 3,644,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Isn't this sad, how wimpy we have become?

My parents were part of "The Greatest Generation".

My father, dead 11 years, fought in Patton's army in Europe.

My mother (age 93, but blind) was a young girl during WWII. She remembers.

That war lasted 4 years (for us). My parent's generation learned to do without during that period, as part of the war effort. A look at history (or, better, if you can talk to someone that lived through it, like I can with my mother, and like I did with my father) can educate you.

Back then, people did without things. Those at home were rationed to three gallons of gas per week; they were rationed on meats, potatoes, etc. No new appliances. Rationed on sugar, coffee, cigarettes, cheese, canned goods, etc.

It was tough living, even for those that weren't in Europe or the Pacific theater being maimed or killed.

Now? Your country asks you to wear a mask.

And you can't do even that.

Pathetic.
I agree, these right wing snowflakes are such cry babies. Heaven forbid they wear a mask, social distance, shut down their livelihoods, go bankrupt. Just stay home and save a life. Much easier than fighting in a war or going without a gourmet meal every day.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:46 AM

4,259 posts, read 2,567,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
It is interesting that people are drawing comparisons between WWII and today. In WWII, there was a clear, defined goal and end game. The war would end once Germany and Japan surrendered. Wartime measures would end as soon as possible after the last shot was fired.

With this virus, there is no definition of victory and we are being told that pandemic measures might become permanent. We were told that 60-70% needed to be vaccinated to end the pandemic. Than is was 70-80%. Now it is at 90% which is an almost impossible goal to achieve. There are new strains of the virus developing and it is possible that multiple strains develop which our current vaccine cannot protect us from that will mean new vaccines will be required for each strain. This pandemic is basically an endless war.
Its seemingly endless because there is no leadership. Each state is on its own creating confusion. Not even the WH is consistent. Top officials come on TV, like the HHS Sec., with literally a sign on the wall behind him, saying to wear a mask, and then the president and his folks are not wearing a mask in gatherings. There will be confusion until we come to terms with a policy and not whims subject to daily mood swings of the president.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:49 AM

34,310 posts, read 18,690,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristinas_Cap View Post
I agree, these right wing snowflakes are such cry babies. Heaven forbid they wear a mask, social distance, shut down their livelihoods, go bankrupt. Just stay home and save a life. Much easier than fighting in a war or going without a gourmet meal every day.
Snow flakes because we want to preserve freedom and our natural Rights, while you want to give all responsibility and power to Big Government. You are just delusional.

Old 12-27-2020, 04:50 AM

68,364 posts, read 54,587,695 times
Lockdown Fatigue is a Thing Now, Americans are Fed Up

And the virus like all disease doesn't give a rat's patootie whether anyone's fed up or not.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:51 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,884,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
Lock down fatigue?

Much like with poverty, Americans honestly dont know much about hardship.
Unfortunately, very true.

There have been no lockdowns in the US. Nonetheless, the hyperbole persists.

Old 12-27-2020, 05:53 AM

37,245 posts, read 41,476,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I'm a masker and social distancer myself, but I do have to mention that the pandemic in 1918 was taking young people in their prime.

And that's different, truly, than taking people who have lived to the end of their life expectancy.
Most of the old folks who are dying were not at the end of their life expectancies. Average life expectancy at age 80 in the US is about nine years for a white female and seven for a white male.

Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
If someone works and pays for the comforts they enjoy in their life, who gives a damn? People should live the best life they can. That's not a fault, especially when they earned it. Our founding fathers insisted that we should have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. I would say they were wise for putting this in the constitution, and we are better off today because if it.
Wrong document.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blues4evr View Post
Majority of the complaints I heard are those who goose step to every command the government dictates, nothing wrong with questioning the reliability of the mask, they say flu and colds are down because of the masks, while the same time covid is spiking because not enough people are wearing masks, I still believe if you are healthy, there is no reason to wear it, I do, but more because I don’t want to cause problems for employees and it’s the business rights to require them, but outside I don’t.

So many different opinions and even people of science has different opinions, so who’s science do we listen to?
The transmission dynamics are different for colds and flu. People are infectious for a much shorter length of time with colds and flu. Measures that are sufficient to tamp them down are not sufficient for the coronavirus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ellis Bell View Post
State of the Union Address (1918)

No mention, not one word about people all around dropping like flies. Imagine that.
Because of WWI, news about the flu was deliberately withheld. There was no official mention of it from the government anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Henry View Post
The number needed to achieve herd immunity includes both people who have been infected and those who are vaccinated. It is a moving target that depends on how much virus is circulating and the willingness of people to take the vaccine. Higher case counts actually contribute to herd immunity but at a cost of deaths and disability.

There are no new strains of SARS-CoV-2. Every mutation does not create a new strain. The viruses that are making the news are better termed variants, and to date none of the variants found are sufficiently different from all the others to mean new vaccines will be needed.

https://www.virology.ws/2020/05/07/t...of-sars-cov-2/

The word strain is being misused by the media and, unfortunately, some scientists who should know better.

Could the need for new vaccines happen? Yes. The longer the virus circulates the higher the risk that it might be necessary to formulate a new vaccine. That means the quicker we slow the virus down with the vaccines we have, the better.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
And if it goes on and on, more families on the streets...no jobs, no money for rents, for food for anything...this is America 2020, not 80 yrs ago. The rich they are just fine as always...

And I choose NOT to wear a mask, my choice, I'm not out there coughing and sneezing on the herds of people...and others should not cough and sneeze on others....and distance if that makes you feel comfortable...
Every time you exhale, you are projecting respiratory droplets.

In places with cold winters, where exhaled breaths condense, you can see it. In warmer climates, it’s not visible. Nonetheless, you are projecting.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WK91 View Post
There should be no lockdowns whatsoever. They don’t work and they cause unknowable and extensive damage to the country.

Masks and social distancing, sure why not? But lockdowns, no!
There have been no lockdowns in the US.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:11 AM

6,175 posts, read 4,653,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaminhealth View Post
It's about people losing their businesses that their blood and sweat worked to build and the dictators have 1000's of restaurants boarded up in my town alone....
Some people are quick to blame the government for public health measures (which usually make sense but there are some eyebrow raisers like NY opening bars but closing schools) but even if indoor dining is allowed, a lot of people are going to be understandably wary to do that and the businesses unfortunately aren't going to do well. When indoor dining was allowed in my state quite a few restaurants tried it but many found they weren't getting enough customers to make it worth it so they went back to take out only. The ones who haven't being cautious at all about their health protocols are the ones contributing to the spread of the disease, and I have to wonder what other nastiness might be going on in the kitchen where customers don't see it.

If people stop moaning and being destructive about the simplest social distancing and hygiene measures they need to take (instead of it all being about "me-me-me" in combination with the vaccine which is slowly rolling out), these businesses can hopefully be viable again, and people won't have to have their lives disrupted the way they have been.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies