Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2020, 10:06 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times

Advertisements

And here we go again...

Minneapolis police shoot, kill man during traffic stop
https://m.startribune.com/minneapoli...top/600005259/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2020, 10:14 PM

14,798 posts, read 17,685,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by acrobat612 View Post
YEah I just don't buy it.

Cities are cities. Anywhere you have concentrated populations and have arbitrary drug laws and broken windows policing that criminalize the hustle, you're gonna have more crime. Minneapolis does have problems to be sure - we have legalized a roving criminal element, most of whom don't live in our city, but come in for their shifts and roll up on POC and hassle them. I've seen it first hand - saw a Minneapolis PD roll up on a homeless woman and start giving her the what have you for "loitering" - an ordinance which exists soley to criminilize being poor.

We need to address poverty. We need to address inequality in our school system. We need a new police force - one that actually is invested in this community and not a band of hired thugs from out of town.

That said, I'd probably only move if I got a job in Chicago. I would possibly consider relocating to my hometown of KCMO. Otherwise I'm sticking here because I like it.
The US has been addressing poverty for decades. Countless billions have been spent on anti poverty programs. Why does Minneapolis, a city run by leftists for decades, have an unequal school system? Even in Chicago which has been run into the ground by the idiot left, the schools are funded equally no matter where they are. I still don't understand why american cities allow so many of their citizens to kill each other and not be punished for it. It's absolutely maddening and reflects terribly on the nation and its people.

Old 12-30-2020, 10:46 PM

1,052 posts, read 452,677 times
Quote:

Cities are cities. Anywhere you have concentrated populations and have arbitrary drug laws and broken windows policing that criminalize the hustle, you're gonna have more crime. Minneapolis does have problems to be sure - we have legalized a roving criminal element, most of whom don't live in our city, but come in for their shifts and roll up on POC and hassle them. I've seen it first hand - saw a Minneapolis PD roll up on a homeless woman and start giving her the what have you for "loitering" - an ordinance which exists soley to criminilize being poor.

We need to address poverty. We need to address inequality in our school system. We need a new police force - one that actually is invested in this community and not a band of hired thugs from out of town.

That said, I'd probably only move if I got a job in Chicago. I would possibly consider relocating to my hometown of KCMO. Otherwise I'm sticking here because I like it.
You guys need to stop it with the "cities are cities and thus have crime" tirade. It's actually totally false. Tokyo is a megacity 30x the size of Minneapolis and has virtually no crime. Pick any European capital (maybe except Paris?) and it is several times MSP with less overall crime. Even closer to home, Boise, a city with roughly half the population of Minneapolis, has a violent crime rate of 279 per 100K while Minneapolis is way up there with 1100 per 100K.

So, saying "cities always have crime lolz ¯\_(ツ)_/¯" is just BS. It all depends on WHO lives in the city and HOW the city enforces the laws. That is it.

Last edited by minnomaboidenapolis; 12-30-2020 at 10:58 PM..

Old 12-30-2020, 11:23 PM

52,269 posts, read 52,700,922 times
Quote:

Typical lefty progressive drivel.

Old 12-30-2020, 11:39 PM

853 posts, read 337,201 times
Honestly I live in Minneapolis specifically so I can avoid the sort of angry and hateful right wingers who post here. If you all are too scared to visit my city because Tucker Carlson told you it was a war zone, all the better.

I've been to the "autonomous zone" twice in the last month. When I was there it was one of the quietest and most peaceful places in the city. There is almost nobody there now, besides the people living in the neighborhood and some people power type security. I talked to them. They were nice people. One was a teacher in the local school system.

I think most of you who are posting have no idea what the situation on the ground actually is and are only going off of fear mongering, sensationalist "journalism". As far as day to day life goes, for most people Minneapolis is the same today as it was last year, or ten years ago. It is calmer than it was in the '90s when crack was hitting the city, but most American cities are.

Last edited by Somnifor; 12-31-2020 at 12:00 AM..

Old 12-30-2020, 11:57 PM

10,244 posts, read 16,375,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Somnifor View Post
Honestly I live in Minneapolis specifically so I can avoid the sort of angry and hateful right wingers who post here. If you all are too scared to visit my city because Tucker Carlson told you it was a war zone, all the better.

I've been to the "autonomous zone" twice in the last month. When I was there it was one of the quietest and most peaceful places in the city. There is almost nobody there now, besides the people living in the neighborhood and some people power type security. I talked to them. They were nice people. One was a teacher in the local school system.

I think most of you who are posting have no idea what the situation on the ground actually is and are only going off of fear mongering, sensationalist "journalism". As far as day to day life goes, for most people Minneapolis is the same today as it was last year, or ten years ago. It is calmer than it was in the '90s when crack was hitting the city, but most American cities are.
My fingers are crossed that the police acted properly this evening at the Holiday gas station on 36th and Cedar. I’m not prepared for more civil unrest in my city.

Old 12-31-2020, 12:01 AM

853 posts, read 337,201 times
The Minneapolis police department is basically the bad cop all star team. That is the crux of the problem. I've heard as many stories trashing them from St Paul cops who are friends of mine as I have from activists. A lot of the old school St Paul cops hate the Minneapolis department because they think it is unprofessional and gives police a bad reputation in general. I've also seen police abuses in Minneapolis with my own eyes, and had it happen to my friends. A lot of people in the city have either had it happen to them or their friends or randomly seen it out and about in town. That is why people took to the streets. They weren't being driven there by rabble rousers like antifa, it was their own experiences, multiplied through the entire population of the city that drove the protests. People knew there was evil in the department because they had seen it themselves.

In the late '60s Minneapolis elected a cop named Charlie Stenvig to be mayor. Stenvig ran on a platform of "taking the gloves off" when dealing with hippies, leftists and non-whites. In reality he unleashed the worst instincts within the department, which then created a dynamic where the department only drew Rambo style cops. That was in the early '70s. It has had a toxic culture ever since. Nearly every mayor since the mid '80s has run partially on a platform of trying to reform the department. They have all failed because the police union had the support of tough on crime suburban and rural politicians in the legislature, and have used that support at the state level to insulate themselves from reformist mayors. There have been tons of Minneapolis cops who have been fired by the city for outrageous violations who then got their jobs back through arbitration and licensing boards that the city has no power over. It is hard to fix a broken department when the bad cops who get fired then are given their jobs back. This has created a culture in the department where the police think they don't have to answer to their superiors within the city. They think they are the law unto themselves and think they only have to answer to the union.

This is where the whole disband the police idea came from. The intention was never to disband the department and replace it with nothing. The idea was the culture of the department was so broken that the only way to fix it was to fire everyone, break the union and rebuild from scratch.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:13 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
Quote:
The Minneapolis police department is basically the bad cop all star team. That is the crux of the problem. I've heard as many stories trashing them from St Paul cops who are friends of mine as I have from activists. A lot of the old school St Paul cops hate the Minneapolis department because they think it is unprofessional and gives police a bad reputation in general. I've also seen police abuses in Minneapolis with my own eyes, and had it happen to my friends. A lot of people in the city have either had it happen to them or their friends or randomly seen it out and about in town. That is why people took to the streets. They weren't being driven there by rabble rousers like antifa, it was their own experiences, multiplied through the entire population of the city that drove the protests. People knew there was evil in the department because they had seen it themselves.

In the late '60s Minneapolis elected a cop named Charlie Stenvig to be mayor. Stenvig ran on a platform of "taking the gloves off" when dealing with hippies, leftists and non-whites. In reality he unleashed the worst instincts within the department, which then created a dynamic where the department only drew Rambo style cops. That was in the early '70s. It has had a toxic culture ever since. Nearly every mayor since the mid '80s has run partially on a platform of trying to reform the department. They have all failed because the police union had the support of tough on crime suburban and rural politicians in the legislature, and have used that support at the state level to insulate themselves from reformist mayors. There have been tons of Minneapolis cops who have been fired by the city for outrageous violations who then got their jobs back through arbitration and licensing boards that the city has no power over. It is hard to fix a broken department when the bad cops who get fired then are given their jobs back. This has created a culture in the department where the police think they don't have to answer to their superiors within the city. They think they are the law unto themselves and think they only have to answer to the union.

This is where the whole disband the police idea came from. The intention was never to disband the department and replace it with nothing. The idea was the culture of the department was so broken that the only way to fix it was to fire everyone, break the union and rebuild from scratch.
Very informative. Thanks.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:36 AM

19,387 posts, read 6,503,704 times
Is that the area where Muslims blasted their call to prayer at the crack of dawn, disturbing the peace of everyone not Muslim, and the city council defended the Muslims’ right to ruin everyone else’s sleep with a prayer offensive to many of them? (The prayer praises their prophet, who was a pedophile and an antisemite.)

That demonstrates the problem. Leftists have determined specific groups to defend (Muslims, blacks, gays, criminals, and illegal aliens) and others to throw to the wolves (Christians, Jews, whites, law-abiding people, and American citizens.)

The result? Minneapolis.

Old 12-31-2020, 04:53 AM

10,659 posts, read 10,729,131 times
Quote:

If it's so peaceful how come there is more shootings/ shots fired, there every night, than over in Mosul?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies